Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question on dialogue options...

trystero

Novice
I was looking at this screenshot and considering the two response options:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/images/7.jpg

In typical games, I have found that the dialogue option you would want to choose to unlock something special is the second option. Afterall, this is the option that requires your character be skilled in a particular area and so the response is often a kind of reward for specializing in that way.

I usually do *not* see a rewarding branch of dialogue from choosing the 'default' response. I wondered if it was similar in AoD? I guess what I am getting at is the typical player will want to choose the non-default response, as this requires your character to be developed with that skill. Are there situations in AoD where having knowledge that enables a special response and then choosing that response would be detrimental? Like closing off an optional quest? Or additional dialogues? Maybe telling the guy that his ore is 'ordinary' means you miss out on an optional quest to identify the ore ( since you didn't know what it was ).

- trystero

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
trystero said:
I guess what I am getting at is the typical player will want to choose the non-default response, as this requires your character to be developed with that skill.
Yes, in most cases. Skilled > Unskilled, Skilled = Better. That's not really a choice, however, so there are a lot of responses where skills aren't a factor (choosing a side, choosing how much to tell, choosing to keep your word or to betray, choosing how to handle a quest, which would have different consequences, etc).

Are there situations in AoD where having knowledge that enables a special response and then choosing that response would be detrimental?
Yes. We are not talking about skills here, however, just knowledge of certain facts or events.

Maybe telling the guy that his ore is 'ordinary' means you miss out on an optional quest to identify the ore ( since you didn't know what it was ).
You've seen the next screen, right?
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/images/8.jpg

Necro

Novice
dialog options seem to be the big difference between other games - which i love but unfortunately a lot of people just enjoy midlessly killing everything :<

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Admiral jimbob said:
You really do live up to your name.

Now that's fucking bathos.

Anyway, do the 'skilled' dialogue options become available after a pre-set skill level is acquired, or are they roll-dependent? Or both?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom