Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

(quick)saving in The Witcher 2?

deuxhero

Arcane
1: Does quick saving produce a new save "slot" every time it is used? That was really annoying in TW1 and lead to my harddrive being filled up quickly.
2: Do the saves automatically go to My Documents like an idiot programed it, or do they save in the game's directory?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
1) I'm pretty sure there's only one quicksave slot now, but autosaves and manual saves create new files. Saves are fairly large (18 MB average for me), and can't be deleted in-game for some stupid reason, but doing it manually works fine.

2) Yep. You do realise that putting user data in Users/Documents is a Microsoft guideline and was put in place for Vista/7 because programs are no longer able to exercise admin permissions unless expressly allowed, right? It's a security measure; the only idiots around are those who give all programs unrestricted access to modify their systems.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really wish more games would put their saves in the "my games" subfolder of My Documents instead of the root. It's getting hard to find my actual documents when every game I play wants to spam My Documents with it's own directory for saves and shit.

made

Arcane
Why can't games store their saves and settings in the installation folder like they used to anyway instead of clogging up my system drive?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
made said:
Why can't games store their saves and settings in the installation folder like they used to anyway instead of clogging up my system drive?
By default in Vista and 7, programs do not have admin permissions, therefore they're only able to operate within the limited parameters of a standard user, unless they're given elevation (commonly known as UAC). Save files have to go in Documents because it is literally impossible for a program to write to its own folder unless the user expressly changes its permissions. I'm also pretty sure Microsoft has since mandated that programs save their data in Documents as well, even on XP. This is a security feature intended to limit the damage a virus can cause to a system, effectively locking it out of sensitive areas like the Windows installation and Program Files.

It is almost impossible to have a system significantly damaged or rendered unbootable by a virus in Windows 7 without the user actually letting it in the first place via a UAC pop-up, though of course that doesn't stop a virus from disguising itself as something legitimate, so in the end the burden falls on the end user to make smart choices about which programs should be allowed to run, and in what ways. Unless you want to make a game install and write its data to X directory, or it has its directories hard-coded to inaccessible places, there is literally no reason whatsoever (save organisation) to give it admin permissions.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
deuxhero said:
I use XP and never heard of that before.

Oh well, quicksaving has been fixed.

WTF are you talking about man? :retarded:

Games haven't been saving to the program directory since the 90's . A folder under 'My Documents' or AppData (not so good, I'd prefer them off my system drive) is the correct place for gamesaves (even under XP) and I would fucking RAGE! if a dev stuck them under the game directory.

The best system of all of course is - let the user fucking decide!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom