Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Recommend me some post-apocalypse setting (post-nuclear war) that take place outside of America, Russia, and Australia.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
I always find it strange that all the post-apocalyptic crpgs I know sets in the 3 countries in the title above and not anywhere else. Would appreciate it if anyone can point me to a game, book, movie, tabletop's post-apocalyptic settings in the vein of Mad Max and Fallout that takes place in other countries than USA, Russia and Australia. I am already aware of a mod name Fallout London btw, but any other example would be welcome.

The reason I asked this is because I am looking for more inspiration to create a post-apocalyptic (post nuclear war) setting happening in Japan as a personal worldbuilding project of mine, this setting is already inspired in part by the images below from artist Huke (if my project ever progresses to the phase of hiring artists for some art demonstrations, I will try to make them follow this style):

uJYzmuh.jpg

WiMldge.jpg

mH2wFEX.jpg

f9U3piA.jpg

My post-apocalyptic version of Japan will feature all the usual tropes that are commonly found in Mad Max and Fallout like raiders, slavers, robots, cyborgs, AI, mutants (human, plants and animals), power armor, energy weapons, etc... Aside from these, it will also have a few twists of its own which I shall not disclose yet. One thing I can tell you is that the setting will center around a main faction, just like Wasteland centers around the desert rangers or The Witcher centers around witcher.

I consider this project a long-term goal, so I'm in no hurry, and this is just the beginning, here hoping it will eventually lead to a great setting that can be used in a tabletop RPG or even a crpg some days. Wish me luck!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I appreciate the attempt at getting on with the times and using generative ai, but to whomever is running this account: it's clearly not ready for this. Do it like infinitron - keep it simple and unassuming.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Mutant Year Zero.
If I'm not mistaken it takes place in Sweden.

2. 1971 Project Helios
It's not post nuclear war game, more of an alternate history due to some meteorites hitting Earth and creating "nuclear" winter.
Or something like that, I could be wrong about details. It's not a very good game though, personally I never finsihed it.

Iucounu

Educated
I always find it strange that all the post-apocalyptic crpgs I know sets in the 3 countries in the title above and not anywhere else.
That partially makes sense, psychologically speaking, since both the US and USSR are/used to be paranoid nuclear powers...

Would appreciate it if anyone can point me to a game, book, movie, tabletop's post-apocalyptic settings in the vein of Mad Max and Fallout that takes place in other countries than USA, Russia and Australia.
I recall the novels Twilight Country and Sweetwater by Knut Faldbakken were a bit apocalypctic, but more about a decaying society (no nukes).

The reason I asked this is because I am looking for more inspiration to create a post-apocalyptic (post nuclear war) setting happening in Japan
Then Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 should fit the bill perfectly.

My post-apocalyptic version of Japan will feature all the usual tropes that are commonly found in Mad Max and Fallout like raiders, slavers, robots, cyborgs, AI, mutants (human, plants and animals), power armor, energy weapons, etc...
Isn't there lots of Japanese comics like that?

ropetight

Savant
Couple of not so straight forward postapocalyptic stories.

Encased and BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION happen in Africa, and have theme of alien artifact/giant spaceship causing catastrophic changes to society; not postapocalypse per se, but Desolation especially has "African" feeling to it.

Blame! manga and couple of not great animes happen after near extinction event of solar system spanning human civilization; desolate urban environments full of killer cyborgs and strange tech. Graphically similar to the style you are trying to implement.

Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi happens in southeast Asia, Drowned World by J.G. Ballard happens in Arctic and Antarctica; both have theme of survival after climate/biological catastrophe.

When Gravity Fails by G.A. Effinger happens in the Middle-East after Third World War in Europe; more cyberpunk than postapoc, with a bit of Casablanca noir.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Couple of not so straight forward postapocalyptic stories.

Encased and BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION happen in Africa, and have theme of alien artifact/giant spaceship causing catastrophic changes to society; not postapocalypse per se, but Desolation especially has "African" feeling to it.

Blame! manga and couple of not great animes happen after near extinction event of solar system spanning human civilization; desolate urban environments full of killer cyborgs and strange tech. Graphically similar to the style you are trying to implement.

Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi happens in southeast Asia, Drowned World by J.G. Ballard happens in Arctic and Antarctica; both have theme of survival after climate/biological catastrophe.

When Gravity Fails by G.A. Effinger happens in the Middle-East after Third World War in Europe; more cyberpunk than postapoc, with a bit of Casablanca noir.
Thanks for the recommendations, all of the works you mentioned especially Blame! sounds awesome, I'll be sure to check them out.

Guess what sets my setting apart from Blame! is that I'll try to come up with many weird factions that fit Japan's culture, aesthetic and history. In order to do that, I'll have to learn more about Japanese language and Japan in general and if possible look for a Japanese national to collaborate/consult me. It is a lot of work ahead and may take years or more, but the prospect of leaving something I found worthwhile behind motivates me like nothing else, so I'll do my best.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe the Shin Megami Tensei series. There's Nier, but that might be too far off from what you want, because it's as post apoc as it gets. I'm also playing 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom