Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redguard from Bethesda..Ne1 remember it?

DarkSign

Erudite
Someone asked me my opinion of this game today and I had totally forgotten it, other than it had a fencing system?

Thoughts, rememberances, jibes?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
While it predates my employment at Bethesda and I have not played it, it DID get 5 stars from Next Generation magazine back when that actually meant something. FWIW. The biggest problem was that it required a 3DFX graphics card, otherwise the graphics were not hardware accelerated.

corvax

Augur
DarkSign said:
Someone asked me my opinion of this game today and I had totally forgotten it, other than it had a fencing system?

Thoughts, rememberances, jibes?
Redguard is one of the best adventure games I've played, then again I haven't played a whole lot of them. A solid story, Redguard Cyrus returns to his homeland province after self imposed exhile (well he killed his sister's husband to be) because his sister is missing. He eventually ends up leading a rebellion against the Empire even though it's quite obvious that the rebel faction does not stand a chance. The story takes few twists and turns, there's the stereotypical "bad guy baron", a wicked Necromancer, a Daedra god, a Dark Elf assassin. Overall the characters are pretty decent and actually show some personality.

The gameplay is also rather smooth. The fencing system, if you can call it that, is rather basic consisting of 3 or 4 different attacks (lunge, slash, combo). The puzzles are logical and straightforward usually solved using inventory items or through conversations. Throughout the game I found only one puzzle that required deeper thought as it involved patching together a map and figuring the "paces" - distance to where a hidden item was. There are few jumping puzzles (this is an adventure game after all) with one involving giant mushrooms and being particularly annoying. It's almost impossible not to die on the first try. That's my only major gripe.

The game does run on 3Dfx however you can run it without it in software mode if you have Millenium, 98, or 95. XP requires Glidos ($20) or few other programs (free-check TES borads).

Overall the game is enjoyable, especially for anyone with the slightes interest in TES lore. The manual includes "A pocket guide to the Empire", which is a real treat as it describes each province and races in detail. The game also comes with a nice burnt around the edges map, makes one long for the days where the publishers actually cared what went into the game box. I would recommend Redguard to anyone who's got 10 bucks to spare and looking for some adventure fun.

Edit: Redguard deserves some props for being one of those rare games where the protagonist is black. A rare thing indeed.

kathode

Novice
Developer
You could run it without a 3DFX card, it had a software mode. Sure wasn't pretty, but man the Glide mode was nice looking for the time.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Do you figure you cats will ever release it in the same way you made Arena available? I've actually been interested in checking the game out for a while now.

deus

Liturgist
dipdipdip said:
Do you figure you cats will ever release it in the same way you made Arena available? I've actually been interested in checking the game out for a while now.
I doubt they would in the forseeable future since RG is for DOS and doesn't run in DOSbox. Using VDM Sound with Windows XP doesn't work since RG tries to directly access the hard drive directly and then crashes. Assuming you can find a copy, your best bet is to put together a Windows 98 machine with a soundcard that supports DOS.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
angler said:
hussar said:
[There are few jumping puzzles (this is an adventure game after all)

You must not be very familiar with adventure games.

Are you kidding? I remember spending nights in agony over those horrid jumping puzzles in Leisure Suit Larry. No wonder the genre is dead.

corvax

Augur
angler said:
hussar said:

I'm not trying to over-generalize the genre but you do realize that there are other adventure games than "point and click" ones. Jumping puzzles are a vile staple reaching as far as the original Pitfall, Montezuma's Revenge, etc. or maybe even further. The struggles I went through on my bro's Atari 65XE will never be forgotten.

bryce777

Erudite
dipdipdip said:
angler said:
hussar said:

Are you kidding? I remember spending nights in agony over those horrid jumping puzzles in Leisure Suit Larry. No wonder the genre is dead.

My favorite is attacking the feral pig with the coconut-bra slingshot

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Platformers are not adventures. Pitfall is the former and not the latter. Most of the games I've played are adventures, and I don't think any of the ones I played had jumping puzzles. Then again, the only 3D adventure games I've played are the Journeyman project series and Grim Fandango.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Naked_Lunch said:
Make Daggerfall free, too! Do it for all that's good and fluffy out there! Please!

Daggerfall open source would be nice. That way people can work out the bugs and update the engine like they did with nearly every id game ever released open source. Heck, the game was released in the mid90s, so I seriously doubt it's even selling now or is even available to purchase.

corvax

Augur
daggerfall sells for a fortune on ebay. anyone finds a copy in their local store for $5 can easily make extra $50 to $70.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, that's for people who want to collect boxes and manuals. They'd still pay a fortune for it even if Bethesda released Daggerfall as open source and freeware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom