Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Regional pricing

Hory

Erudite
VD, have you considered regional pricing for AoD, so that you price it based on the average income category that the buyer's country fits in? I was doing some research for my thesis and I found out what the average net incomes are for some countries:

Bulgaria: 303$
Romania: 303$ (what a coincidence)
Hungary: ~600$
Iraq: <800$
Egypt: 1643$
USA: 2380$
Finland: 3306$

Considering this, it seems very selfish to ask for the same sum, for a game, from people to which that sum is very valuable. On the other hand, it seems unfair to increase the price for countries such as Finland simply because they're smart/dedicated/whatever enough to have high salaries.

Regional pricing for tangible products is problematic, but I imagine that implementing this for digital downloads (IP or credit card-based?) wouldn't be very hard. Isn't it better to earn a little bit from the smaller countries than none because they either pirate it or they simply don't buy it?

SmokedWolf

Scholar
but if you are earning an average of $303 what are you doing playing computer games?
You should be out working to earn more than $303..

(though yes I totally agree disparity of income between regions is quite an issue and agree with regional pricing.. when 20 dollars is going to 1/15th of your pay then it becomes a harder decision to buy)

Hory

Erudite
SmokedWolf said:
but if you are earning an average of $303 what are you doing playing computer games?
You should be out working to earn more than $303..
Well, for one thing, expenses are lower too, so with the average salary you are supposedly not dying of hunger. In this case, the problem is simply that the game is produced in a country in which the cost of things is higher, and because of the artistic nature of the product, it can't be replicated as cheaply in your own country. In fact, it would be illegal. The decision to implement regional pricing makes sence both from a business perspective (earning a little rather than suffering from more piracy) and a humanist perspective (helping disadvantaged people have more enjoyable lives).

Should they be trying to earn more? Probably, but consider that their country may present several roadblocks in achieving this. You can't earn much more from your own people if the people aren't particularly rich either, unless you manage to run a very sucessful business. But very successful businesses will still be the minority in the country, so from the point of view of "how many people from this country can afford my product", nothing changes. Just as well, you may have a higher salary simply because you were born in a wealthy country. It's not just about one's merit. There are probably many people out there working more but earning less than you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Too complicated and would result in endless complaints from people who live in "rich" regions but have no or low income (kids, students, people who are ... uh... between jobs).

Overall, the game is only 25 bucks, which makes somewhat more accessible.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Have you given any thought to what kind of payment options you will deem acceptable?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Given that AoD is aimed at an underserved niche audience anyway, I don't think that lack of regional price will be that huge an issue. I don't usually spend more than the equivalent of 20$ on any game, but for AoD I'm willing to make an exception.

Also, maybe you could do something like Steam's weekend sales and (temporarily) drop the price a couple months after release? Those who haven't picked the game up by then will be given a strong incentive to do so, assuming they were somewhat interested in the first place.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Hory said:
VD, have you considered regional pricing for AoD, so that you price it based on the average income category that the buyer's country fits in? I was doing some research for my thesis and I found out what the average net incomes are for some countries:

Considering this, it seems very selfish to ask for the same sum, for a game, from people to which that sum is very valuable. On the other hand, it seems unfair to increase the price for countries such as Finland simply because they're smart/dedicated/whatever enough to have high salaries.

Regional pricing for tangible products is problematic, but I imagine that implementing this for digital downloads (IP or credit card-based?) wouldn't be very hard. Isn't it better to earn a little bit from the smaller countries than none because they either pirate it or they simply don't buy it?

:shock:
Your "thesis", "research"... morelike research for a homemork in your elemntary school class judging by the results.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Hory said:

Rofl on what numbers is this based? Those numbers are wrong imo for eastern Europe...

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Too complicated and would result in endless complaints from people who live in "rich" regions but have no or low income (kids, students, people who are ... uh... between jobs).

How long is it? Because that sounds fairly high for an indie game, mostly because indie games tend to be shorter.

Lumpy

Arcane
Shorter than what? Because as far as I know the trend nowadays among real professionals (not indie amateurs) is making games shorter and shorter.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jaime Lannister said:
Vault Dweller said:

How long is it? Because that sounds fairly high for an indie game, mostly because indie games tend to be shorter.
Fairly high for an indie game, you say?

Spiderweb games - $28 for new games, $25 for older games
Prelude to Darkness - $25 on release
Escape Velocity Nova - $30
Mount & Blade - $29.99
Aztaka - $24.99
Eschalon - $25 on release, 19.99 a year later.
Depth of Peril - $29.99 on release, 19.99 a year later

You were saying?

Durwyn

Prophet
$25 is approx. 80 Zlotys in Poland. New AAA PC games prices starts from 90 zlotys up to 129. 80 is a price I would not pay for most of Indies (Eschalon, DoP, Aztaka) but given that AoD will be as good as it looks now, I would pay for it even 100 zł = $30 or more.

lordfrikk

Scholar
I live in Czech Republic (regards to neighbour above). AoD will cost 25.00 USD = 476.262 CZK.

AAA games are about 1,500.00 CZK = 78.7381 USD here, so it's really cheap.

Slovakia, much the same as above. AAA titles cost €50 or more on release, $25 for AoD (~€18) is dirt cheap. I've seen both the Baldur's Gate compilation and Diablo 2 platinum edition sell for ~€20 this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom