Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Request: char-building (a)rpg with specific requirements.

JrK

Prophet
So lately I've been playing TitanQuest coop, and I really like the char-building in the game, and the fiddling with skills and masteries to create different builds. I've somewhat enjoyed this in most games I've played, most notably BG2, IWD2 and BL (though the skills in this one are imo not making different enough gameplay), and I've come to the conclusion that this is an aspect I really like.

What I didn't like about TQ is the huge amounts of grinding and the slow as fuck leveling. It isn't cool if I have to wait 20 levels to get my first cool skill on certain builds, on a game that features 60 levels and quite much tedious grind.

So I'm looking for a game with TQ like building and many different possible builds gameplay-wise, but that has less (say half) of the grinding. I don't mind some grinding but TQ takes it a bit too far I think. I've heard of Sacred and Divine Divinity as being good games of this type but I have no idea how much grind there is in those. Also I've played Diablo2 coop and the grind was even worse in that one imo. In other words, a game in which you have to build a little fewer pylons.

Advanced thanks to the bro who helps me. :bro:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Incursion RL. The best char system in any game ever. Its a roguelike though so an acquired taste.

crazy_dave

Educated
Re: Request: char-building (a)rpg with specific requirements

JrK said:
So lately I've been playing TitanQuest coop, and I really like the char-building in the game, and the fiddling with skills and masteries to create different builds. I've somewhat enjoyed this in most games I've played, most notably BG2, IWD2 and BL (though the skills in this one are imo not making different enough gameplay), and I've come to the conclusion that this is an aspect I really like.

What I didn't like about TQ is the huge amounts of grinding and the slow as fuck leveling. It isn't cool if I have to wait 20 levels to get my first cool skill on certain builds, on a game that features 60 levels and quite much tedious grind.

So I'm looking for a game with TQ like building and many different possible builds gameplay-wise, but that has less (say half) of the grinding. I don't mind some grinding but TQ takes it a bit too far I think. I've heard of Sacred and Divine Divinity as being good games of this type but I have no idea how much grind there is in those. Also I've played Diablo2 coop and the grind was even worse in that one imo. In other words, a game in which you have to build a little fewer pylons.

Advanced thanks to the bro who helps me. :bro:

You should definitely try divine divinity. It's combat is diablo / arpg like, but the game is more of a "action baldur's gate"...

Chefe

Erudite
You might have to wait a couple of years but Grim Dawn is basically Titan Quest 2.0.

anyways.......... Yay another TQ fan! :D

JrK

Prophet
Chefe said:
Yay another TQ fan! :D

Not sure if serious...

But I do love endless tinkering with builds and trying odd combos. It is too bad casting skills like Ring of Fire or Earth Enchantment aren't too good for non-Int (melee) focused builds, but I still want to try. :salute:

I did play TQ but it was very tedious and repetitive. It also corrupted my save, which in a game that does the stupid checkpoint autosave fucking BS meant I had to stop playing altogether. If that isn't an argument against that kind of hand-holding newfag checkpoint bs then I don't know what is

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
Y'know, the character system in TQ was really interesting, fun to play with different builds. The problem was that was all there was to the game. The rest was grind, grind, grind, with the occasional dry bit of pointless plot to push the thing along.

edit: Yeah, Divine Divinity is more or less what you're looking for. TQ with less grind and more exploration/plot.

Raapys

Arcane
I never really liked TQ. Yes, character development was done well, but frankly I thought the skill trees/classes were rather boring compared to Diablo 2. The game was also too slow(walking/running speed and such), and getting good items was actually nigh impossible; I did a full run-through of the game with expansion, and didn't get a single interesting weapon or item to use. Was practically walking around in shop-bought stuff the entire time.

Looking forward to Grim Dawn though, certainly looks better than TQ.

JrK

Prophet
Thanks guise. Divine Divinity is certainly something I'll try next.
What is it with the assumptions that everyone on the Codex must have played some newfag H&S?
Que?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom