Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Returnal - PC Release Imminent

Ezekiel

Arcane
I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 setup hooked up to my PC so I really appreciate the effort they're putting into the audio. The amount of games that support Atmos is slowly increasing but this is definitely the best game to do it so far. Anyone play through Ascension? I only did the base game on a friend's PS5.
https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/
I have two height speakers as well and find Atmos a bit gimmicky with only half the recommended speakers above me. Would love to sit under the middle of four, but my back is already against the wall and I couldn't destroy the ceiling of this apartment anyway. They hang from two arms from the wall above me when I sit. It's supposed to be much more three-dimensional when you're surrounded. Then again, I barely listen to Atmos tracks. When there are multiple options in a movie, I almost always choose the older sound mix. I also disable the Atmos speakers when upmixing two-channel surround mixes. But, yeah, nice to see more Atmos games on PC. I thought it was dying, then was surprised by Atmos in Callisto Protocol (a bad game).
You may be interested in this thread if you aren't already aware of it. Despite there being a lot of console discussion, there's plenty of people with computers hooked into high-end HT systems.

Somewhere after page ~135, there's a discussion of how the "Atmos" system implemented in many cross-platform Xbox/PC games is not actually atmos, i.e. not actually dynamic object-based audio decoding. But rather a poor-man's version of it. Some crumbs of the discussion are here.

I'll also add that some studios just cannot produce good surround mixes in their games, much like movie studios. Prey (2017) was the worst implementation of non-atmos surround I've ever heard in my life, I self-ejected from the helicopter at the start and uninstalled it.

I would have just played Prey in stereo if it sounded that bad. Well, I'm guessing Prey has bad mixing in any configuration, like voices drowned out, all too common in games (Returnal included), why subtitles are usually on by default. Always tiny subtitles too, lol.

I removed my Atmos speakers in January. Have simple 4.1 now.

After five years, I removed my Atmos speakers. Also removed the center, since I could never get it high enough. "Downgraded" from 5.1.2 to 4.1. Don't watch that many new movies anyway, and most of them don't have Atmos. Have heard it used stupidly in older movies too many times. Before Atmos, everybody placed their surrounds higher, which is what I do anyway. Have them slightly above the ears.

Can be an awesome tech, but I wouldn't invest in it again unless I had a much bigger space that allowed the seat to be in the center, below four speakers rather than the two I had. I can't afford such a place and wouldn't use a living room.

Now I have holes where the upside-down speaker arms used to be. Haven't figured out yet how to use the plaster. Think I need something to insert it.

Watched Coraline, a Neil Gaiman story in stop motion. Pretty good. Seemed insanely difficult to animate.

I don't understand the logic of how Atmos is often used.

Ladder comes out of the truck from below the center of the picture at 2 min 52 sec and for some reason the sound of metal on metal goes above me. It's possible the sound went through to the end of the ladder, but that's a stretch, and if you have to really think about it like that...

KH3DQnC.jpg

Coraline drops something into the well at 8 min 6 seconds and for some reason the echo from the water splashing is above her. There is only sky above her, nothing for the water sound to bounce on.

xwKynAa.jpg

Feels like they just place these sounds so that the Atmos isn't wasted. If it has to be like that, just leave it out and give me the original audio instead. I mean, the original audio should be there anyway. Remember issues like that in some of Disney's 4K Atmos movies originally released before Atmos as well. Sounds where they don't make sense, distracting me, placed only so that Atmos users feel their speakers are all used.

More on Coraline's sound: Just checked the old 5.1, which is not featured on the 4K disc. The truck ramp (I don't know why I called it a ladder before.) stays at the front, LIKE IT SHOULD. Playing the Atmos in 7.1 or 5.1 keeps the ramp in the surrounds. So simply disabling the height speakers is not a solution. Echo of the well is between front and surrounds, as I expected. With the Atmos in 5.1, the echo is more in the surrounds.

Schindler's List

In the liquidation of the ghetto, when the luggage is being thrown down from the upper floors, the Atmos mix sends the sounds of crashing up to the top for some reason. Lovely disc that just misses the 5.1. I should have checked to see if the old Blu-ray in the box syncs before beginning this first rewatch of the UHD in almost five years.

The Patriot (2000)

Sony's Dolby Atmos mixes are generally... crappy. Several instances were sounds went above me for no explainable reason. I could have turned off my top speakers like I usually do, which would have sent those sounds probably to the surrounds, but then I couldn't have heard what they screwed up, and I want to know if I have to listen to the new mix anyway. Whoever uploaded this didn't include the old 5.1 that I know the disc has.

From Here to Eternity (1953)

Checked out some of the Atmos after watching it in mono. I'm convinced these audio engineers and heads of Blu-ray departments, a lot of the time, just make their Atmos mixes with the distracting, non-period ambient sound placement because of all the Atmos-or-bust people, not because they think it's a good idea for the film. Seems so forced. At least the original audio is usually on Sony's discs, though.

Black Hawk Down

It looks nice, sounds amazing. First time listening to the 5.1, which isn't as front heavy as the Atmos. It's a pity they moved a bunch of sounds that made sense in the surrounds up front for the Atmos, because a lot of the height placements in that newer mix are actually pretty good. It's a movie where Atmos is logical, so I wish it had been done well.

This shot of a helicopter landing towards the camera at 40 minutes 50 seconds for example.

Black-Hawk-Down-2001-Ridley-Scott-Sony-UHD-mkv-snapshot-00-40-50-341.jpg

In the 5.1, you can hear the sand blow beside you, but in the Atmos it's at the front more. It would make more sense for it to come from the surrounds, considering where the camera is.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 setup hooked up to my PC so I really appreciate the effort they're putting into the audio. The amount of games that support Atmos is slowly increasing but this is definitely the best game to do it so far. Anyone play through Ascension? I only did the base game on a friend's PS5.
https://www.dolby.com/experience/games/
I have two height speakers as well and find Atmos a bit gimmicky with only half the recommended speakers above me. Would love to sit under the middle of four, but my back is already against the wall and I couldn't destroy the ceiling of this apartment anyway. They hang from two arms from the wall above me when I sit. It's supposed to be much more three-dimensional when you're surrounded. Then again, I barely listen to Atmos tracks. When there are multiple options in a movie, I almost always choose the older sound mix. I also disable the Atmos speakers when upmixing two-channel surround mixes. But, yeah, nice to see more Atmos games on PC. I thought it was dying, then was surprised by Atmos in Callisto Protocol (a bad game).
You may be interested in this thread if you aren't already aware of it. Despite there being a lot of console discussion, there's plenty of people with computers hooked into high-end HT systems.

Somewhere after page ~135, there's a discussion of how the "Atmos" system implemented in many cross-platform Xbox/PC games is not actually atmos, i.e. not actually dynamic object-based audio decoding. But rather a poor-man's version of it. Some crumbs of the discussion are here.

I'll also add that some studios just cannot produce good surround mixes in their games, much like movie studios. Prey (2017) was the worst implementation of non-atmos surround I've ever heard in my life, I self-ejected from the helicopter at the start and uninstalled it.

I would have just played Prey in stereo if it sounded that bad. Well, I'm guessing Prey has bad mixing in any configuration, like voices drowned out, all too common in games (Returnal included), why subtitles are usually on by default. Always tiny subtitles too, lol.

I removed my Atmos speakers in January. Have simple 4.1 now.

After five years, I removed my Atmos speakers. Also removed the center, since I could never get it high enough. "Downgraded" from 5.1.2 to 4.1. Don't watch that many new movies anyway, and most of them don't have Atmos. Have heard it used stupidly in older movies too many times. Before Atmos, everybody placed their surrounds higher, which is what I do anyway. Have them slightly above the ears.

Can be an awesome tech, but I wouldn't invest in it again unless I had a much bigger space that allowed the seat to be in the center, below four speakers rather than the two I had. I can't afford such a place and wouldn't use a living room.

Now I have holes where the upside-down speaker arms used to be. Haven't figured out yet how to use the plaster. Think I need something to insert it.

Watched Coraline, a Neil Gaiman story in stop motion. Pretty good. Seemed insanely difficult to animate.

I don't understand the logic of how Atmos is often used.

Ladder comes out of the truck from below the center of the picture at 2 min 52 sec and for some reason the sound of metal on metal goes above me. It's possible the sound went through to the end of the ladder, but that's a stretch, and if you have to really think about it like that...

KH3DQnC.jpg

Coraline drops something into the well at 8 min 6 seconds and for some reason the echo from the water splashing is above her. There is only sky above her, nothing for the water sound to bounce on.

xwKynAa.jpg

Feels like they just place these sounds so that the Atmos isn't wasted. If it has to be like that, just leave it out and give me the original audio instead. I mean, the original audio should be there anyway. Remember issues like that in some of Disney's 4K Atmos movies originally released before Atmos as well. Sounds where they don't make sense, distracting me, placed only so that Atmos users feel their speakers are all used.

More on Coraline's sound: Just checked the old 5.1, which is not featured on the 4K disc. The truck ramp (I don't know why I called it a ladder before.) stays at the front, LIKE IT SHOULD. Playing the Atmos in 7.1 or 5.1 keeps the ramp in the surrounds. So simply disabling the height speakers is not a solution. Echo of the well is between front and surrounds, as I expected. With the Atmos in 5.1, the echo is more in the surrounds.

Schindler's List

In the liquidation of the ghetto, when the luggage is being thrown down from the upper floors, the Atmos mix sends the sounds of crashing up to the top for some reason. Lovely disc that just misses the 5.1. I should have checked to see if the old Blu-ray in the box syncs before beginning this first rewatch of the UHD in almost five years.

The Patriot (2000)

Sony's Dolby Atmos mixes are generally... crappy. Several instances were sounds went above me for no explainable reason. I could have turned off my top speakers like I usually do, which would have sent those sounds probably to the surrounds, but then I couldn't have heard what they screwed up, and I want to know if I have to listen to the new mix anyway. Whoever uploaded this didn't include the old 5.1 that I know the disc has.

From Here to Eternity (1953)

Checked out some of the Atmos after watching it in mono. I'm convinced these audio engineers and heads of Blu-ray departments, a lot of the time, just make their Atmos mixes with the distracting, non-period ambient sound placement because of all the Atmos-or-bust people, not because they think it's a good idea for the film. Seems so forced. At least the original audio is usually on Sony's discs, though.

Black Hawk Down

It looks nice, sounds amazing. First time listening to the 5.1, which isn't as front heavy as the Atmos. It's a pity they moved a bunch of sounds that made sense in the surrounds up front for the Atmos, because a lot of the height placements in that newer mix are actually pretty good. It's a movie where Atmos is logical, so I wish it had been done well.

This shot of a helicopter landing towards the camera at 40 minutes 50 seconds for example.

Black-Hawk-Down-2001-Ridley-Scott-Sony-UHD-mkv-snapshot-00-40-50-341.jpg

In the 5.1, you can hear the sand blow beside you, but in the Atmos it's at the front more. It would make more sense for it to come from the surrounds, considering where the camera is.
yeah, going from a 3.1 system to 5.1.2 really highlighted just how slip-shod many mixes are.

hope you got those ceiling holes patched, 3m's patch plus primer (premium spackle) does a good job, you just have to be patient and sand between 3x-5x applications.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I've had the plaster and spatula for months. I'm just fucking lazy and never have anyone over anyway.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've had the plaster and spatula for months. I'm just fucking lazy and never have anyone over anyway.
patch that shit up man. our environment has a profound effect on us, rich or poor when our environment is in shambles our mind usually is too

911 Jumper

Educated
RETURNAL: FALLEN ASTERIA TPB
After Helios crashes onto a hostile alien world, Selene Vassos, a lone ASTRA scout must fight for her life against the horrific hostiles that live beyond every shadow and a trail of distorted memories.

Can she hold on long enough to track down the White Shadow signal? Mystery shrouds the world of Atropos and Selene begins to wonder: will she find answers at the end of her journey, or is this nightmare inescapable?

Created by the Housemarque Brand team with Gregory Louden, Eevi Korhonen, and Khalil Osaimi from Returnal's Narrative team and the stunning art of Igor Lomov and Aaron Järvinen. This Housemarque adaptation brings their BAFTA award winning Sci-Fi action thriller to the world of graphic novels.

CREATORS
Writer:
Greg Louden, Eevi Korhone, Khalil Osaimi, Igor Lomov
Artist:
Igor Lomov, Aaron Järvinen
Cover Artist:
Igor Lomov, Aaron Järvinen
Genre: Horror, Science-Fiction
Dark Horse Digital Comics

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom