Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review of New Vegas

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
Who gives a shit about canon? Star Wars canon has been getting shittier and shittier with practically ever EU entry bla bla bla

I don't pay attention to the EU (other than some of the games). Even if KOTOR2 is internally consistent (it's not), it's still retarded.

herp derp

Heh. First you tell me "how it's presented in the prequels" then you switch to "everyone has their own opinion" liberfag BS. :lol:

Are you utterly void of any self-awareness?

I played KOTOR2 before I even knew who MCA was.

The faggot is strong in this one.

I still thought the writing was top-notch.

Of course you do, you're one of those postmodernfags who finds any nihilistic grimdark bullshit "top-notch writing". Kotor2 was just a poor man's kotor1 storywise. It also had two of the worst characters ever made (kreia and atton). The only decent party members were the ones that carried over from Kotor. Anyone who seriously thought that shit was "top-notch" should sue their doctor because their lobotomy obviously didn't quite go as planned.

Define 'intelligent' and 'unbias',

Unbiased. Unbias is not a word you dumb fucking shit. As for definitions, please consult the nearest dictionary.

Anyway, time to toss another retard with a broken back on my large pile of codex conquests. :smug:

Varn

Educated
Unfortunately this game fails to recapture the combat and character development of the original Fallouts, which is much of what they were about, just as Fallout 3 failed. All of the good quests and exploration then becomes kind of a bore as there is no real point to any of it.

Simply put the combat is too easy, and the SPECIAL system has no significant impact on it. Your skills mean far less than they did in FO1/2 because of the real-time aiming/healing. The dud VATS system fails to change this in any meaningful way, as you rarely need to use it, making AP a tacked-on irrelevant afterthought.

Further to that skill checks are totally watered down. You get told how much of a certain skill you need to pass the check, and often even if you fail it you get another go. In FO1/2 you didn't know if you would succeed on a check and if you failed, that was it. Eg I insulted the crap out of an NCR ranger and he refused to talk to me, but then when I said sorry it was like it never happened.

Similarly, the ease of combat, even on the hardest difficulty, means exploring to find sweet loot is kind of pointless. You can demolish most enemies with the first few items you find, so there's no real feeling of progression.

Finally I think there is level scaling, as I finished at around level 22, way below the cap, and had no trouble killing anything with a melee/explosives character.

So yeah... a massive improvement over FO3 in the lore/story/location department but overall crucially fails to re-create the awesome RPG aspects of FO1/2 such as the difficulty of combat and consequent feeling of character development. Therefore... more of a hiking simulator than a real RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom