Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Alpha Protocol

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just dropping by to say I LIKE ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH

tl;dr Obsidian simply cannot into satisfying gameplay. They might be great at writing, but writing alone does not make a game enjoyable. I'm quite sure they would greatly benefit from less ambitious presentation in their games (their continuous attempts at making AAA games is retarded), and using simpler game engines with simplified graphics and game mechanics. They suck at these things, plain and simple. I'm confident even a game made in RPG Maker would be good enough with their writing skills.

Fuck your slam dunks, Feargus. Your over ambitious delusions of grandeur are wasting the skills of a good rpg team into shitty triple A wannabe games.

I agree with you, Obsidian has shown its ineptitude time and again with its gameplay systems...No wonder they put a huge aspie like Josh in charge of P:E gameplay. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm quite sure they would greatly benefit from less ambitious presentation in their games (their continuous attempts at making AAA games is retarded), and using simpler game engines with simplified graphics and game mechanics.
They'd still be terrible without a Josh Sawyer or a Nathaniel Chapman or a Someone Who Cares About Gameplay and Isn't Primarily Interested in Story and Being Clever.

Alex

Arcane
“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE ALPHA PROTOCOL SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR OBSIDIAN'S ABORTION AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR AP. HATE. HATE.”

(actually, not really. But I wanted to drive this point home).

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Alpha Protocol in one GIF:

hQuVaFC.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE ALPHA PROTOCOL SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR OBSIDIAN'S ABORTION AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR AP. HATE. HATE.”

(actually, not really. But I wanted to drive this point home).
Oh really? Did I tell you that I LOVE ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH?!

Tigranes

Arcane
Pfft. That minigame was trivially easy once you got uaed to it, usefully challenging adding to the atmoaphere before you did, and skills & items allowed easy bypass if you hated it.

The pc control lag was the real issue for it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All the crit path hacking is intentionally easy. All the optional stuff can be handled with EMPs or skipped entirely. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom