Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Realms of Arkania HD

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm not so sure - I think there is another forum that would probably suit him better. :P

Too late.

It actually came from the Watch

Also, I like how his constant allegations of "nostalgia goggles" are invalidated right there in the very first paragraph of the article. Also, just because I'm feeling generous:

1. You started with the main menu of release, rather then a patched build.

I've started playing the game right before patch 3.10 was released. It was not physically possible for me to take screenshots of the release build.

2. The game is in playable and finishable state

So? Do you want me to point you to hundreds of other absolutely horrible games that no one in their right might would want to play despite them being "playable and finishable"?

and it does not end in 11 hours definitely.

But 11 hours is perfectly enough to judge it after having finished the original

I can myself end an encounter fairly fast with a good team of heroes

Sure, brah, I can do it too when switching autopilot on and putting animations on x8 speed. Doesn't mean that it's enjoyable.

I was getting my weapons break rarely and there is a quality difference between weapons, and there are whetstones.

Three weapons. Taken straight from a blacksmith. Three fights. Three breaks. Tell me more about whetstones.

3. Spell casting ranges depends upon your skill in the corresponding spell. You cannot guide it through 9 paces away if you have just 3 skill in the spell.

I'm quite sure all the ignifaxuses and lightnings find you that I had at some rank 10 never had their ranges increased. Or maybe I simply didn't notice because I got used to not even using spells in the first place thanks to the amount of trash encounters that mean you'll be effectively wasting it all the time.

4. Spell failure

point me to the place where I talk about it

And even an encounter you can't handle comes?

Can't handle? R00fles! The game's difficulty is a joke (just like the original's).

And there is only small stuff missing like you click on Hjalding Mountains on the original.

Which is exactly what I meant.

8. Don't tell me you actually used fast forward button repeatedly.

I had to use it at the very start before the animation sliders were introduced, or I'd die out of boredom watching those absolutely horrible combat animations that took half an hour to process. But if you like to look at them so much, be my guest, personally I prefer my comedy to be of a more cerebral nature.

9. And if you did not find humor, perhaps I will give you a tavern example spoiler.

Sorry, it's not funny. At all.

10. Useless spells have been removed from the game.

... which is exactly what I've written right there in the article?

Your review is no more valuable then a mere shitstorm on a Steam page, which does not make anything better at all.

Of course it does make things better. For all parties involved, even. Incompetent developers might go out of business and do something productive like dig roads, while their unsuspecting victims can be saved from wasting money on unfinished products. And yet, even though I'm sure I'm falling for a very elaborate troll now, I have to say I love how you're clinging so very hard to the "improvements" done by this remake (which I've actually mentioned by and large), to the fact that the original was also flawed (which I've mentioned right there in the introduction, as well as some other places), and the bugs to which your attitude can only be described as "SEE NO EVIL", while ignoring the most glaring and horrible flaws that point to Crafty Studios incompetence, and that's the redesigning of dungeons and encounters. Can you please tell me how is the academy under Thorwal improved after being made into a corridor? Can you tell me how is the temple of the nameless god improved with the upping of trash encounters to the stratosphere? Can you tell me how are the dwarf mines in Upper Orcam improved after cutting the puzzles/traps from its original shape? Can you tell me how are the random encounters improved by adding a few more of them that are just as useless and annoying as the others, but with the addition of making absolutely no sense (O HEY HERE ARE SUM SKELLINGTONS THAT AMBUSH YOU IN YOUR SLEEP ON THE ROAD!)? And finally, can you please tell me, with all this evidence in mind, how can it possibly be thought that even when this pile of dung is "finished" with "all" the patches out, it will be in any way better than the original, and that I can TRUST THE DEVELOPERS to keep on UPDATING IT with ADDITIONAL CONTENT? An inquiring mind wants to know.

A review should bring constructive criticism without being insultive.

Citation needed

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Roger Ebert's Review of 'North' said:
I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
Source.

Monty

Arcane
Too late.

Reading that post it's impossible to believe he's not one of the dev team, trying desperately to defend this abortion, going from forum making the same posts with newly registered accounts:

let us see what will come in the future.

-Revamped NPC models
-New dungeons
-Lacking spells
-New events
-Modding tools
-(Hopefully) A new intro
-More bugfixes (There are really only minor issues left, there is no game breaking element)
:hmmm:

ugralitan

Novice
Too late.

Reading that post it's impossible to believe he's not one of the dev team, trying desperately to defend this abortion, going from forum making the same posts with newly registered accounts:

let us see what will come in the future.

-Revamped NPC models
-New dungeons
-Lacking spells
-New events
-Modding tools
-(Hopefully) A new intro
-More bugfixes (There are really only minor issues left, there is no game breaking element)
:hmmm:

Chrome translate, despite being an awful as a translator, it allows you to understand official German forums where such stuff is mentioned. And I joined at the discussion at RPGWatch because fluent was active at the original forums for awhile and contributed much in finding some bugs. I was just bored and thought "I wonder how is the Codex?" then read the review of Darth Roxor. I gain nothing by defending the game, but then you gain nothing by hating the game. So we are all happy, right?

Infinitron For a Stockholm Syndrome I should be first scammed or conned or be under pressure to feel need for survival and then I could show its symptomps. And Blackguards is yet another flashy DSA game which does not interest me (dumbed down RPG mechanics and heavy focus on combat. I once fell that mistake in Demonicon...) Age of Decadence and RoA satisfies my turn-based combat needs enough already. So if I am raving fanboy does it make some people, raving haters? I see nothing more natural then disagreeing or any difference between defender of an issue or assaulter on it.

Minttunator Well, Codex is to pit views against each other after all no(in hardcore way)? Does it bother you much because someone can disagree with the majority in a thread?

Darth Roxor I'll put the region stuff to request list as well, when I find all right texts from the original game, later. My last suggestion was for place names. After all, not all of your review does need showeling, you possibly have swallowed a small gem before shitting it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Roger Ebert's Review of 'North' said:
I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
Source.
Not to mention http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/i-spit-on-your-grave-1980, http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/caligula-1980, http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/freddy-got-fingered-2001, and numerous others.

Reviews need not be positive. Anyone putting their work out into the public forum who doesn't have a thick enough skin to survive being judged harshly probably shouldn't be presenting their work for judgement in the first place. Odds are someone somewhere is going to hate your work.

Telparion

Barely Literate
About this:

About crowdfunding for 2D images [] It brought attention to 3D models (pending for the next patch) because 2D pictures at this point would be unfeasible:

1. A major delay due to needed amount of images. You can no longer copy/paste same image with a small difference to every temple and get away with it.
2. Major events, wilderness encounters etc need 2D images as well as first encounter with Hetman (or finding Grimring etc)
3. It takes at minimum 3 days to fully incorporate one 2D image unless you have an artist team (which might be expensive)

Well.
While what is put there is about accurate - I mean that it is more difficult and more expensive to have nice 2D art, when compared with just having a 3D thing - what is true also, is that making a game without an artistic team, esp. a game about such a licence, just sounds nuts.

There are plenty of artists available.
And if they made the game in Germany, or import their artists from there, then there are plenty of very skilled, affordable artists available out there, and very skilled and inspired at making fantasy arts.
I know that, because I do hire my main artists from Germany, and have done so for a few years already.

The only reason why I would think, that they would not have thought about this, and use -these- 3D models instead, would be because of budget.
Which translates about "spending much less" and having these 3D models instead...

I hate it that publishers might have encouraged studios who make remakes like this, and target 3D because of that.
Glory to the 2D, glory to the art, and glory to the spirit behind arts - we need more 2D art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom