Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs_that_will_run_on_linux_and_my_shitty_laptop

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I recently switched from xp to ubuntu because I could not get xp to detect my wireless network. The only computer I have in this city is this piece of shit. Any decent RPGs I could play?

Captain Obvious

Scholar
Apart from emulated stuff, I don't think there's a whole lot, although I haven't tested too many indie RPGs.

Everything dosbox should work well enough.

Exult runs on linux, so if you want to replay Ultima 7, that's an option.

There was the Bard's tale spiritual successor Devil Whiskey, but their webpage is down, and unless you played BT back then, it probably hasn't too much appeal.

Speaking of BT, if you haven't played Dragon Wars yet, now might be the time to familiarize yourself with Vice and play the C64 version of it. It's awesome, really.

It's highly unlikely that ubuntu supports something which XP doesn't, though, and you could dual boot and switch the OS between surfing and playing.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I'm not too keen to dual boot, the hard drive on this thing is tiny. I may do it anyway if I get desperate enough though. I've never used DOS so DOSbox is unintelligible to me. I've always meant to master it though so maybe now is the time.

pipka

Savant
I've once tried to run Arcanum in ubuntu using VirtualBox. It was slow. And sound was clanky.
The point is : use dual-boot.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Eschalon, Dwarf Fortress, Jagged Alliance 2, and lots of roguelikes.

Spiderweb games should run under wine, you can try the demos.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
They run, but Avernum 4 has a horrible cursor lag regardless of the machine specs. (It's almost gone in Avernum 5.)

Melcar

Arcane
Not a lot of RPGs for Linux aside from gay rogue likes and shit. You can try looking here and see if anything caches your eye:
http://www.happypenguin.org/list?sort=category&search=rpg
http://ubuntu-gamers-arena.org/
Eschalon Book has a native client. The Penny Arcade games work if you're so inclined. Also, if you don't mind working a bit, SCOURGE is a fun rogue like (it's 3D, so it may not run that well).

As for Wine, some stuff runs rather well and it should have no problem running on that laptop you got there:

- BG games
- IWD games
- Fallout 1&2
- Arcanum*
- PST*

*these two can be troublesome under Wine, but they generally work.

Edit: Oh, just remembered. Wine uses a lot of nv libs and calls, and uses opengl2.0 for many of its DX translations. Open source drivers like the one your Intel chip is using are only opengl1.3-1.5 at the moment, so Wine may be specially problematic for you.[/url]

User was nabbed fit

Rouge?

That reminds me that I need to replay Rouge Squadron, and its sequels, Lipstick Raiders and Mascara Wars.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom