Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seasons & Weather in an RPG

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jaesun said:
soggie said:
Yes, in my extremely optimistic and ambitious design document (that will see many cuts before we even get to a working game stage), weather is supposed to act as both an atmospheric device and a game mechanic as well, lowering character perception range, causing flash floods and so forth. On the flip side, dry spells will cause droughts, increasing the price of fruits and water.

Sounds good so far.

laclongquan

Arcane
If it's gun using modern cartridges (brass casings, or plastic) then there's not much fear of malfunction in the rains. If it's oldstyle musket using blackpowder, then yes, rain will force you to stow them away for a sunny day.

And dont forget that bow/crossbow will function very badly in the rain. It ruins the string, you see. And raindrop affect the flight, and eye perception. -1 on Per when calculating for ranged attack, -10 on ranged skill, -10% right there and then on durance of the bow/crossbow in holding.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think you should set up a system of properties for items so you determine what factor affect which.

Set up the durance of items, with some possiblity of repair. Severe limit the quantity and quality of repair items and repair men.Make items easily degradable so they get used up quicker. One of the damning thing of game economy is that sooner or later you got loots running out of your ears. with degradable and rare repairs you can fix that condition a bit.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Didn't read the thread, but it makes me think of the survival mechanics of Realms of Arkania.

soggie

Educated
laclongquan said:
If it's gun using modern cartridges (brass casings, or plastic) then there's not much fear of malfunction in the rains. If it's oldstyle musket using blackpowder, then yes, rain will force you to stow them away for a sunny day.

And dont forget that bow/crossbow will function very badly in the rain. It ruins the string, you see. And raindrop affect the flight, and eye perception. -1 on Per when calculating for ranged attack, -10 on ranged skill, -10% right there and then on durance of the bow/crossbow in holding.

I'm actually thinking of how atmospheric moisture fucks with the internals of a gun the same way desert sand screws with M16s. Also, a damp atmosphere can make bullets in storage degrade faster, considering that we're in a PA setting where technological levels are inconsistent.

soggie

Educated
Ok here's a quick list of how weather works in the game:

THUNDERSTORMS

• Reduced visibility
  • Ranged combat roll penalty
  • Reaction roll penalty
  • Perception roll penalty
  • Increases failure rate of weapons
  • Increases degradation rate of weapons
  • Poor quality ammo has higher malfunction rate
  • Movement has a chance to stumble
  • Greater morale loss when getting hit
  • Improved sneak chances
  • Less guards in most areas
  • Allows the use of silent kill skill (for melee, screams and struggles will be suppressed by rainfall; for ranged, the character will time their shots with thunder)
  • Increased malfunction chance for explosives
  • Firebombs no longer work
  • Lower prices for items
  • Merchants do not restock as often

DRY

• Increased AP cost for all movement actions
  • Increased AP cost for melee and primitive weapons
  • Reduced failure rate of weapons
  • Reaction roll bonus
  • Perception roll bonus
  • Higher prices for items
  • Merchants restock more often
[/list]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom