Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sector Unknown is an upcoming isometric sci-fi RPG coming to Early Access this year

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Creative Storm Entertainment; Sector Unknown

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2734270/view/4127057666125517043

After creating quite a few strategy games as an indie (and mostly solo) developer, I decided to create an cRPG instead. This is the genre that I find myself playing and enjoying the most, from classics such as Baldur’s Gate 2, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, to more contemporary games such as Pillars of Eternity, Outer Worlds, Colony Ship, Trudograd, Underrail, and Encased. In short, I really, really like RPGs, and especially ones that use an isometric angle of gameplay.

Sector Unknown is sort of my love letter to both the classics and the contemporaries. I think I’m better suited for telling a story than number crunching strategy games (as evidenced by my mixture of reviews in that genre).

After three years working part-time (well almost full time) on the systems, the game is close to complete on features (movement, inventory, party management, quests, dialogue, crafting, combat, itemization, space flight, etc). I’m aiming to have a demo for the game completed in a month or so. It’s close to completion now, but I’m still not happy with the tutorial level. What I do not want is for it to be a barrier to entry like the much-maligned temple tutorial level in Fallout 2 (I almost never experienced the rest of that fantastic game due to being so turned off by the temple).

The goal for this game is to launch into Early Access. I intend to have over half of the game completed by that EA launch with full launch occurring 6-9 months after that. The idea to do an EA launch was not one taken lightly, but one thing I have found with my past launches is that just when I think a game is bug-free and ready for a seamless launch, players will find new and interesting ways to break things – leading to frantic post-launch schedule of rushing out bug-fixes and patches. I think this way is better. Launch into Early Access and take player feedback over time so that I can get everything sorted for a smooth launch after that.

The other factor is budget. Right now, I do not have the armor or model system in place for player characters and NPCs. These are assets. This will change before Early Access as I have the models done (with no armor or clothing yet), but even after that, I suspect I will need some of the additional revenue from EA launch to finish the last 2-3 planets (as mentioned I aim to have 3-4 story planets complete for EA launch, with the first one ready for the demo in the coming month or so).

I hope people will wishlist and follow this game. It’s always been a dream of mine to create a sci-fi cRPG, and there doesn’t seem to be many on the market except for Colony Ship (which I completed three times). So I hope there’s a market for something like this, a game taking inspiration from early Bioware and some of the great current game developers on the market today.

I will continue to provide updates in the next while, including game systems, story, ideas, and more. I really look forward to people's feedback and thoughts as well.​

deuxhero

Arcane
ss_dae6de942f52f353922ab0523e55280c3747f32f.1920x1080.jpg

Character creation that actually says "female"? :incline: (It shouldn't be, but the current industry is so bad it is)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Presumably store bought assets aside, this kinda gives me a Farscape vibe to it. This is definitely something I'm keeping an eye on.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I played one of this dev's previous games, raiders: forsaken earth and I thought it was quite good. Hopeful that he'll accomplish something good

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Why not call these top-down instead of isometric?
Probably because it's closer to isometric than it is to top down. Top down is a uniformly scaled tile set, since the camera is perpendicular to the ground plane. Isometric states that the camera is at an angle, though true isometric has a specific angle associated with it. Very few people use the terms "orthographic"(most games including actual isometric) or "oblique"(later Ultima games and Fallout/Fallout 2).

Risewild

Arbiter
Very few people use the terms "orthographic"(most games including actual isometric) or "oblique"(later Ultima games and Fallout/Fallout 2).
Classic Fallout games are actually trimetric perspective.

Here's a quick and dirty image I made (and posted it around here years ago) to show the difference between cavalier oblique and trimetric:
0xXimHa.gif

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Classic Fallout games are actually trimetric perspective.
Right, but there's no way you can expect too many people that aren't an engineer, architect, or artist to know the exact names of these projections. Fallout's projection was due to the use of hexes, and the closest, most accurate one word term would be "oblique" in my opinion, although the Y-Axis is slightly tilted.

Stanislavsky

Novice
Looks cool! Wishing you the best of luck. How "completed" is the experience in early access?

Hydro

Novice
Love trailers with the gameplay running at 26 fps. Looks pretty generic also, but we will see

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom