Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall vs Hong Kong (No Plot Spoilers!)

Delterius

Arcane
Can't we just like every Shadowrun game.

This is the Codex, everything is shit except for games from the 80s/90s with simple systems.

My favourite Shadowrun game is Hong Kong and it seems like most Codexers dislike it.
I only like it less than Dragonfall.

This thread needs more
love.png

Silva

Arcane
What I wanted is a Shadowrun open-world ala Genesis in the GTA real-time engine with tactics in the form of instructions for teammates ala Fallout 1/2. So when shit hits the fan, Bob the decker takes cover while Fred samurai goes in guns blazing and Jenny the mage auto-heals party members. And basic commands like "retreat" and "All in" for when I need to get out or risk everything. Gimme some cool shit like augmented reality, matrix and astral visual layers and an alive Seattle sprawl with dozens of persistent contacts and factions and C&C, and I will be cumming over the ceiling.

But please, no walls of text. Keep it simple and direct. Enough of reading games, I want to play them this time.

Can you do it Glitch?

Jason Liang

Arcane
... GTA *is* Shadowrun Genesis. Shadowrun Genesis was basically GTA 0.

I am more motivated than ever to put out a good Shadowrun module.

Silva

Arcane
By the way, fans of the tabletop game should really check The Sprawl rpg. We had a session last night and it was a blast. It was the best experience of Shadowrun I've ever had, and no one in the group wants to get back to the default rules.

Falksi

Arcane
So I thrived on both Returns & Dragonfall big time, probably the best 2 PC games I've played in a long time. Tried Hong Kong, was OK but too dull for me.

Are there any other games which are similar to Dragonfall & Returns them which I may have missed? Not necessarily cyberpunk, just games which have similar good qualities which these games did (great stories, good combat, interesting characters, C&C etc.)

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I thrived on both Returns & Dragonfall big time, probably the best 2 PC games I've played in a long time. Tried Hong Kong, was OK but too dull for me.

Are there any other games which are similar to Dragonfall & Returns them which I may have missed? Not necessarily cyberpunk, just games which have similar good qualities which these games did (great stories, good combat, interesting characters, C&C etc.)
None that has everything balanced as well as Dragonfall. Dragonfall has the right balance of game length, combat complexity (complex enough to be fun, simple enough for the AI), well told stories with proper stakes yet still innovative, etc... Dragonfall is a greater RPG experience than the sum of its parts.

That said, you are probably looking for a game with similar squad-based, turn-based, tactical gameplay. The top games in this group include ToEE, JA 2 and Invisible Inc. None have Dragonfall's story but you'll enjoy these games if you haven't tried them before.

A game that's similar in that it's greater than the sum of its parts is Sengoku Rance.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Realms of Arkania HD.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Have you tried some of the user created stuff?

I thought 'CalFree in Chains' and 'The Third Eye' were decent (while the 'Vox Populi' remake of the first is a bit weird - with chars behaving like you have / haven't talked to them before etc.).

Also, if you're looking for great combat there's always Battle Brothers, but you have to make your own story there.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
JA2 1.13 in SR 2nd edition world.

CUMMING BUCKETS

I'd rather have a faithful 2nd edition adaptation with proper matrix space, self modified/build cyberdecks, custom programs, proper rigging including vehicular combat, astral space, meta magic and ritual magic. Now that would make my dream "cum" true.
While I understand where you're coming, I think the mechanics of JA2 are far better suited for computer gaming. SR2 mechanics, while okay enough to make playing easy enough, not so much. But Matrix, ritual/metaplane magic, rigging and extended decking are not mechanics-dependent. Granted, impossible in the JA2 engine but I was talking more about the systems and mechanics of JA2 1.13 than strictly using the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom