Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shin Megami Tensei XV

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei XV, a fan remake of the first Shin Megami Tensei in RPG Maker XV, was translated into English late last week. It adds some new routes and QoL additions, but appears to be pretty true to the original game. I haven't been able to play more than the intro yet due to work, but it doesn't exhibit any of the RPG Maker jank I would normally expect.

grimace

Arcane
Here's the readme.txt:

IMPORTANT README.txt​

Details

Activity

cleardot.gif

■ NOTICE ■
THIS GAME REQUIRES RPG MAKER VX RTP TO PLAY
https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/run-time-package
======================================================================================================
■ About VX ■
Shin Megami Tensei VX is the original Shin Megami Tensei (specifically, the SNES version) recreated entirely in RPG Maker VX, with additional gameplay changes, story additions and new demons. The project is open-source and can be modified by anyone, so go wild if you would like to make your own modifications or even a completely new fangame with it. I would of course appreciate credit for the effort of translating!

I completed the main story between Jan-Mar 2023, but the systems took nearly twice that amount of time to complete. I worked on this in my free time during an intense internship at a game studio, so forgive me for taking so long to actually complete it lol

■ Negotiation ■
I unfortunately had to abandon my efforts to fully translate negotiation. There was simply too much (3000+ lines of text...) with a very inconvenient way of finding the context for each line. So instead, I chose to make one generic dialogue pattern for most of them with some minor variations. If you would like to complete negotiation yourself, I've left the original negotiation system at the bottom of the script list. Should you complete it, I'd be more than happy to help include it in a future version with your credits on bootup, you deserve it.

■ Bug Reports ■
There may be some leftover bugs from either the original developer or myself.
When reporting, please include the following:
- Crash message (if any, just take a screenshot of it)
- Replication steps (if any, minor bugs don't need it)
- Screenshot with description
- Current location and preferably what you were doing

There are two types of severity that you must consider when reporting.
1. Severe issue - Game crashes that prevent you from playing the game.
2. Minor bug - Missing translations, weird text, text suggestions, other.

Severe issues should be reported as soon as possible for the quickest possible fix. Crash log and replication steps are mandatory, as it is likely a script error.

Minor bugs should be saved until after you have completed the game, and should be compiled in a document where everything is easily accessible. Don't send me a zip file full of screenshots alone.

Be sure to check the Version History file in the drive folder in case the issue has already been fixed. In which case, simply download the game and copy/paste your save files from the previous version.

■ Contact ■
You can reach me on:
Twitter @ TeatimeSpooks
Reddit @ u/SpookiestSpooks
Please only contact me for issues with the game (see above for specifics on what and how to report) and refrain from feature suggestions, game help or begging. This was a free time project that I worked on to make the game accessible to the community, and I ask that you behave respectfully so we can all have a more pleasant time.
======================================================================================================

■ Story Changes ■
The game features a couple of new routes, three of which are chosen near the beginning of the game. There's two new main characters who fill the role of alignment heroines for their respective routes. Each route has new unique bosses.
The new routes are the following:

[Yuriko's Chaos Route]
Joining forces with Yuriko in Inokashira Park or Shinjuku which will lead you on a journey to the Expanse and a new perspective on the demon hierarchy in Tokyo. This route is fairly easy.

[Yumiko's Law Route]
A new character who represents a variation of the law alignment, where you join forces with the Messians early on to save Tokyo's citizens from the demons, or perhaps even the faction itself. You also get a glimpse of what Heaven looks like.

[Overlord Route]
Refusing all heroines will have you be sent into the Expanse alone, where you begin an arduous and solitary journey of you and your demons as you seek absolute dominance over the entire world. This route is pretty difficult.

[Betrayal Route]
It is possible to return to the neutral route in the final dungeon by betraying your current partner. Doing so will grant you a unique neutral ending.

Extra [Friendship Route]
It is possible to recruit both the Law and Chaos heroes near the end of the end of the game on a standard neutral run. I will leave out the details, but it entails a new ending and final boss.

■ Some Gameplay Changes ■
• All demons are desummoned if the protagonist dies. I recommend building him defensively for the best chances of survival.
• Demons can now gain experience and level up.
• Plenty of new skills with revamped demon skillsets.
• You can give new spells to a demon at a Hacker/Magician shop.
• The game now uses row formations in battle similar to Soul Hackers.
• Intelligence now determines your magic defense, and is vital for your survival.
• You can change weapons in the middle of battle
• Guns consume ammunition
• New equipment and demons from SMT2 and If...
• Spooks addition: You can reduce the encounter rate at the start of the game for a less tedious experience.

■ Thank you for playing! ■

grimace

Arcane
■ Negotiation ■
I unfortunately had to abandon my efforts to fully translate negotiation. There was simply too much (3000+ lines of text...) with a very inconvenient way of finding the context for each line. So instead, I chose to make one generic dialogue pattern for most of them with some minor variations. If you would like to complete negotiation yourself, I've left the original negotiation system at the bottom of the script list. Should you complete it, I'd be more than happy to help include it in a future version with your credits on bootup, you deserve it.

The demon conversations have not been fully translated from Japanese into English.

:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom