Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single ship space exploration recommendations

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont know any scam to Space Rangers series.

I play Space Rangers 2 Rise of Dominators first, and then I return to play SR1. SR2 to 1 is like Fallout 2 to 1. If you think 1 is superior it's entirely your opinion. If you dont want to pay for 2 (or A war apart) after playing 1 it's entirely your choice. But calling that a scam is... sound like you have an ax to grind with the game devs, maybe? Hm? Huh?

The A War Apart thing I havent played it so I dont know~

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm not being a wise-ass here, genuinely curious: why isn't Elite (new one) on this list? Did I miss something or does it not fit the bill?

Norfleet

I'm not being a wise-ass here, genuinely curious: why isn't Elite (new one) on this list? Did I miss something or does it not fit the bill?
"Elite Series" was on the list, no? Even though it's more of an MMO and I'm not sure it actually has a single-player, full-offline mode.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
OP mentioned X series and there's a game in the series that was hated by fans precisely because you were forced to fly a single upgradable ship and other reasons as well. Huge focus on exploration although I found it pretty tedious overall.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How exactly do you upgrade your ship in the Outer Wilds?
You don't. You just learn more things yourself which help you explore more. It doesn't quite fit the criteria op asked for, but at the same time it fits the spirit (low micromanagement with focus on exploring). And talking about space exploration without mentioning it also weird, because there's really cool scifi planets in it.

Elite Dangerous is fucking boring. Gorgeous, amazing sound design. Probably one of the best games for VR. But boring as fuck, and revolves around grind.

Ash

Arcane
Everyone is recommending a different game :negative:

Also no one is recommending the game I bought because it was dirt cheap in the steam sale (Everspace)...I hope it is good :negative:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Also no one is recommending the game I bought because it was dirt cheap in the steam sale (Everspace)...I hope it is good :negative:
It's like FTL, just 3D and without crew micromanagement.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Everspace is very good, it's a rogue-lite.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Two games I'm still not sure I should recommend or not, but it looks like they have some fans, and the games are not too expensive if bought when there is a sale. Now with one-line reviews:

This lasted for a while but did not keep me interested for a very long time. But do read some reviews, there are supposed to be a lot of secrets to find:

For this I at least played the main story through. Really good-looking ships as mods available on the net, but combat was quite meh:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We all know Star Control II is THE answer, right?

Although, I must say I've not played many space games. A few missions of WC4 and the tutorial mission in tie-fighter. I have a flight stick gathering dust and I'd like to use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom