Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I was looking into Strife...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
And I read something bad. Apparently you can fuck yourself out of being able to complete the game, like those old-school adventure games.

T/F (Please circle one)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, you may fuck yourself in one place. Don't take the chalice. But if you fuck yourself - you lost maximum 25-30 minutes. And maybe you may return chalice to its resting place - I don't remember it. Afair even if you gived it to some shmuck in the tavern - you may take it back with force.
Also, Dicksmoker, why you created new thread? It fits to your Doom thread nicely.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/418/Strife.html

However, the last can also be very frustrating some times. Say the wrong line and you will be killed immediately (in some scenes). This wouldn't be so bad, had it not been for the fact that you are only allowed a single savegame. If you save after doing something stupid (like killing an important character, or find yourself in a point of no return), you will have to restart the game from scratch!

Strife is a very good idea that really pushes the limits for the Doom3D engine, but could use more savegames. It deserves 4 points in my mind. I would've given it 5 had it not been for the single savegame. It really destroys the game - there is nothing worse than playing for days, only to realize that you killed the only guy with the needed password on the first day...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:

However, the last can also be very frustrating some times. Say the wrong line and you will be killed immediately (in some scenes). This wouldn't be so bad, had it not been for the fact that you are only allowed a single savegame. If you save after doing something stupid (like killing an important character, or find yourself in a point of no return), you will have to restart the game from scratch!

Strife is a very good idea that really pushes the limits for the Doom3D engine, but could use more savegames. It deserves 4 points in my mind. I would've given it 5 had it not been for the single savegame. It really destroys the game - there is nothing worse than playing for days, only to realize that you killed the only guy with the needed password on the first day...
Craptastic. Simply craptastic. If some moron tries to kill all important NPCs - it is his fault. I remember something about single save game, but this never bothered me. And I finished Strife three times. Maybe I make backups. I try to look further into this when will make my way back home.

zeitgeist

Magister
I guess I just accidentally played it "as intended" each time, never noticed anything like that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fowyr said:
Dicksmoker said:

Craptastic. Simply craptastic. If some moron tries to kill all important NPCs - it is his fault. I remember something about single save game, but this never bothered me. And I finished Strife three times. Maybe I make backups. I try to look further into this when will make my way back home.
So are you saying you basically have no reason to kill NPCs other than psychopathic urges?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
So are you saying you basically have no reason to kill NPCs other than psychopathic urges?
You may kill one NPC in the tavern for fun and profit. Maybe several useless ones for fun or when their role in the game is ended, but NPC killing mostly dictated by the story. You have minor C&C (sort of, trust the Prophet and kill one NPC first and another NPC second or don't trust and do the opposite). Also game have quest with two outcomes (one of the outcomes is compromise of rebel base, sadly cosmetic) and infamous chalice quest.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Dicksmoker said:

Uh, the single save-game shit is fixed if you play with ZDoom, IIRC.

zeitgeist

Magister
Reconite said:
Uh, the single save-game shit is fixed if you play with ZDoom, IIRC.
Yes, just tried it to check, and it indeed has multiple save slots.

DraQ

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:

Translation:

If you're a retard Strife will rape and torture you before shooting you in the head.

Luzur

Good Sir
i made the chalice error once, but otherwise i was able to complete the game 4 times now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom