Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soulslike games: list + scores

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But Souls games also allow you to go elsewhere, level up, and return later. The ratio of gitting gud to leaving and coming back later was about the same for me in Souls and ER.

Ryzer

Arcane
The open world structure makes it fundamentally different from Dark Souls and its clones.
Whereas DS is all about getting good and overcoming the challenge ahead of you, while navigating a tightly interconnected world, Elden Ring allows you to explore an open world, go elsewhere, level up, and return later if you meet a roadblock. This changes the entire structure and approach to challenges.
What you just described is the difference between open-worlds and linear/interconnected games.
Elden Ring is factually a souls game, bonfires are replaced by places of graces, enemies respawn after each death, even a single mob can kill the player, each attribute granted counts as a level, the storyline is cut into nitpicks, it's a souls-clone.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The open world structure makes it fundamentally different from Dark Souls and its clones.
Whereas DS is all about getting good and overcoming the challenge ahead of you, while navigating a tightly interconnected world, Elden Ring allows you to explore an open world, go elsewhere, level up, and return later if you meet a roadblock. This changes the entire structure and approach to challenges.
Demon's Souls, the originator of the Souls-like sub-sub-genre, does not have a "tightly interconnected world" but rather five worlds entirely separate from each other, as from the Nexus. Each world has three levels (or four for the first world with the mandatory initial level) that must be completed in order, and every level must be completed. The individual levels can be quite substantial, with various shortcuts, sometimes enough to consider an individual level "tightly interconnected", but each level can be reached via teleportation from the Nexus at the beginning and (upon completion) the end of the level; the only connections between levels occur at the end of one level that forms the beginning of the next.

Moreover, even Dark Souls introduces teleportation between bonfires about halfway through, and teleportation between bonfires is present in Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 from the beginning; the number of bonfires notoriously increases to a ludicrous quantity in Dark Souls 3 as well. From the beginning, the Souls games permitted the player, if encountering an obstacle to forward progress, to leave that level/zone for an alternative, returning later with greater power and experience to overcome the earlier roadblock. Elden Ring differs in that it is both an Open World RPG and an Action RPG (of the Souls-like sub-sub-genre), but one does not preclude the other; it's a combination of both.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I have a general Soulsy question and perhaps this is a decent place to ask it:

In general gameplay you are given a lot of freedom to pick and choose your fights, you are punished for overextending and being overconfident.

Why then, does the boss mechanic lock you into fighting to the death against something that you have no way of predicting the power level of.

What is the intended way to play blindly here? Thinking about it I've encountered the same thing in Wizardry so it might go back to the games influences.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Those ratings indeed represent the mainstream view. I.e. dumb, shallow, only interested in muh combut and muh bossus and shit being fast fast fast.

Doesn't represent mine tho. I loved DS2, loved the Surges (well, S2), loved both Lords and fucking hated DS3.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What is the intended way to play blindly here?
I think, originally (Demons' and DAS1) the intention was for the player to fight very defensively, focusing on rolling, blocking and running away until you understood all the ways the boss was attacking and could exploit openings. Think of stuff like the spider fight in DeS or various DaS bosses you could basically run away from all day without trouble. Later entries however, ruined that by giving the attacks weird timings and hitboxes, making most of the bosses hyper aggressive with conditional followups, weakening shields and generally just overly punishing defensive play. In anything from DaS2 onward you're basically incentivized to just run in and attack wildly, hoping you luck out and stagger the boss before dying, chug some estus and repeat. Actually figuring out how the boss behaves is left to youtube videos or people with broken builds on a third playthrough that can test what the boss does when you dodge left vs right without dying each attempt.

Max Damage

Savant
idk about DS2 or ER, but DS3 I finished mostly with sword&board, you just need to grab a good shield and (greater) magic shield spell for maximum tanking, didn't watch any guides for bosses either, all solo. The bosses are harder than in DaS, but the runbacks are also shorter, it never felt like a chore. The only boss fight I remember who punishes being too defensive is Deacons of the Deep in 2nd part of the fight.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I have a general Soulsy question and perhaps this is a decent place to ask it:

In general gameplay you are given a lot of freedom to pick and choose your fights, you are punished for overextending and being overconfident.

Why then, does the boss mechanic lock you into fighting to the death against something that you have no way of predicting the power level of.

What is the intended way to play blindly here? Thinking about it I've encountered the same thing in Wizardry so it might go back to the games influences.

The intended way is the concept of learning by dieing.

The thing is that the souls you accumulated in the run are now in the boss room, growing bigger and bigger because you have to kill some mobs to get to the boss (after some time you learn how to do a bossrush by running past enemy mobs)

So either you pick up your souls pile every bossfight until you succeed, or you use one of the very few consumables which let you teleport to safety with your souls, or you just abandon them and go somewhere else to explore.

Ash

Arcane
I don't think Souls' design is significant enough nor unique enough to have spawned its own sub-genre/series of copycats, but I am glad it did. The alternative is braindead cinematic shit so it's a win for the industry. It's a good game, but merely just another iteration of the hardcore console Jap action game which has a very long and rich history. But I suppose it's only fitting. Castlevania SOTN & Metroid spawned endless copycats (the metroidvania). DMC & Ninja Gaiden spawned endless copycats. Resident Evil spawned endless copycats and so on. I guess Souls IS absolutely worthy of the same reverance. I just get triggered by the copycats taking even the shitty parts of souls (boring RPG systems and lock-on basis of the combat). They're too shameless in their cloning and don't innovate enough.

Also, poll is missing Darksiders 3. Yet another lame souls clone.

I see gamers continue their typical everyday retardation. Dark Souls 2 at significantly lower score than the rest, and Bloodborne as one of the highest rated. :roll:

Zlaja

Arcane
Also, poll is missing Darksiders 3. Yet another lame souls clone

I kinda enjoyed this one. I liked how aquiring new weapons/abilities changes your looks, when switching between them. Very enjoyable gimmick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom