Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sierra Space Quest I VGA & Space Quest 6

Honestly, I've never seen why these two games are disliked. SQ1 VGA's dislike seems to come from the Two Guys saying they dislike it - because honestly, I think it's a vast improvement from the original game - and SQ6 seems to come from the datacorder puzzle. But in terms of atmosphere, gags, humor, text/dialogue, I think these are the best games in the series. In terms of story, SQ4 and 5 are the best games, and SQ2 is the weakest, but then again I'm not exactly looking for well-wound stories with these games.

SQ1VGA gives you everything: A pretty serious sci-fi story that just happens to have a buffoonish protagonist, beautiful VGA graphics, wonderful worlds, cool droids and interesting aliens and pretty fun puzzles. It has all the fun of a Star Wars movie, all the humor of a Mel Brooks film albeit more subtle, and some of the best deaths in any adventure game. It's got an awesome rock n' roll soundtrack courtesy of Ken Allen, who did many of Sierra's best soundtracks.

SQ6 gives us a wonderful little sci-fi parody, basically throws the kitchen sink in with verbal gags, visual gags, busts Roger back down to Janitor where he belongs, has a bit of a romantic subplot without laying it on too thick, and has a wonderful twist on Inner Space. It also has an atmosphere that feels like a direct parody both of games of the era as well as TNG: The Next Generation. It's also got Gary Owens in droves. Seriously, go revisit that game, there are so many little gems and little winks and nods sci-fi fans will get.

I think this games get way too much scorn and would do well with a revisit, honestly if you don't like either, give 'em another run.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't realize people thought the SQ1 remake was bad? 6 is fine although I think not written by either 'Guy?' I believe it was primarily Josh Mandel.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Didn't realize people thought the SQ1 remake was bad? 6 is fine although I think not written by either 'Guy?' I believe it was primarily Josh Mandel.
The first half was written by Mandel, then he left Sierra and Scott Murphy finished it.
Tbh I think most of the negative feelings about the SQ1 remake come from an interview Scott Murphy did where he said he didn't like some aspects of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To be honest, I haven't played the SQ1 VGA version that much. It seems alright, especially compared to its counterpart.

SQ6, on the other hand, is a mixed bag of ideas. Some parts of it are cool, but others are not. The complete absence of vital supporting characters from past games, and the ham-fisted introduction of new ones, is most probably the clincher for me...not to mention the bugs. (Realizing your game is ruined because of a bug that took place 2/3ds through the game is kind of a dealbreaker in an adventure game.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom