Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers 2: Reboot on Steam...question

Garm

Learned
So Mobygames says that the physical copy contains Space Rangers 1 on it as well...does the Steam version contain the first one also?

Also could someone give me a quick rundown of the game? From what I've read it sounds like Star Control 2. Are they similar or am I way off?

MetalCraze

Arcane
They are quite different, but they do have some similar elements.

Here's a quick rundown of what to expect:

The most important feature is that there's a truly living random generated universe. Ships don't just disappear into nowhere when they leave the star system. Every ship has its own agenda and is calculated in universe at all times. You can even easily find any ship at any time using search engine on stations and planets.
Traders buy goods at one planet and sell them at another (and goods do move from one planet to another, affecting prices). Pirates rob traders. Police fights pirates. Military fights alien invasion and pirates. Ships sometimes ask each other for help with an enemy.

There is even an RTS part (which I don't really like, but you aren't forced to do these missions) with mechs.

Then there are text quests which are exceptionally well done, some even have multiple ways to complete them. And writing (well at least in the russian version) is quite good.

You also buy new ship hulls and upgrade them with various components which you also have to fix after some time.

You buy satellites and scan planets for various trophies and resources which you can either use yourself or sell.

And much more.

A great game. The only thing you will have to get used to is that universe doesn't turn around you and there are random starting conditions. Sometimes on hard difficulty military forces together with other rangers beat dominators without any problems but sometimes the rape goes the other way. You'll have to adapt which is quite fun too due to everything not being predictable.

Also there is no point in playing Space Rangers 1. SR2 is superior in every way. You would want SR1 only if you wish to play some of its text quests that haven't made it into a sequel but other than that there is no point.

Garm

Learned
Awesome, thanks for the description. Well, I'm sold. I'm gonna buy it by the 2nd then.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To add a comment to Skyway's most excellent description: The writing is so-so in the text adventures in the English version, but the game is still worth whatever they're charging. In fact, it'd honestly be worth 50$+ IMHO.

Heresiarch

Prophet
It's one of the few games which is Skyway Approved (tm). Which could pretty much explain how awesome it is.

Pegultagol

Erudite
In my opinion, one of the top 5 best games in the last decade, although that wouldn't really matter since it is skyway approved. :thumbsup:

I never thought I would be as engrossed in poorly translated text adventures as it is mostly inadvertently hilarious. The irreverent humour, I don't know whether it is a Russian thing or not, is laid on thick (even obvious despite translation) and really endears me to the game, despite the usually automated space battle sequences.

Ironically, one of the first RTS sequences that you run into is also one of the hardest missions of the ilk. But I found it enjoyable anyways so long as you pick missile pods when building your mechs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom