Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Special World map?

Fryjar

Augur
Do you actually happen to travel all the way ingame, like in Morrowind etc. or do you plan to include a Fallout world map for travels between towns?
If you do the latter, then I really recommend you to have a look at Realms of Arkania 2. Aside from the standard Fallout travelmap, it included several features that made it unique and appealing at the same time. Hence, if it is not too late, you should think about incooperating one feature or another.
1.First of all, aside from battles you did often encounter special events that involved a choice: So, for instance, you could help a merchant that fell into a swamp etc.
All this was handled via a special art/dialogue screen.
While you might consider this redundant at first, since often these events are displayed ingame (like, once again in Fallout), it certainly has one advantage: You can create much more interesting situations/choices. It would probably require a lot of effort to display more complex situations like drowning people ingame, so in many games you simply won't find these events at all and after a while, people know what quests/ event they can expect due to the limitations of the engine.
All these problems would be foregone with the Realms of Arkania system that displays just a piece of art that illustrates the situation, together with some choices underneath.
Thus diversity and the thrill of unknown events are given (and can be created with comparatively relative ease) all the time which greatly improve the excitement of wandering around.
2.You could only walk a certain distance per day until you had to rest, depending on whether you bought horses or had to walk.
At the end of each day you were given certain choices before going to sleep. These included looking for herbs, setting up guards and the like. Maybe your alchemy system could be incooperated in something like that?
3.It was all possible that you became ill during your travels. To find a cure you could look for herbs/ visit a doctor in towns or simply wait etc.

My question is, is anything of that in the game? And if not is there a chance to see anything of that implemented if you happen to have time at the end? (due to the release of Gothic 3).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fryjar said:
Do you actually happen to travel all the way ingame, like in Morrowind etc. or do you plan to include a Fallout world map for travels between towns?
A world map.

If you do the latter, then I really recommend you to have a look at Realms of Arkania 2.
One of my top 10 RPGs.

All these problems would be foregone with the Realms of Arkania system that displays just a piece of art that illustrates the situation, together with some choices underneath.
Thus diversity and the thrill of unknown events are given (and can be created with comparatively relative ease) all the time which greatly improve the excitement of wandering around.
It's nice, I agree, but it's too complex a feature to add now. The art alone for, let's say, 20 encounters would take 4-6 weeks. Designing quests and some consequences, polishing the storytelling and writing are not a small task either. Had you mentioned it 6 months ago, I would have considered it, but now it's too late.

2.You could only walk a certain distance per day until you had to rest, depending on whether you bought horses or had to walk.
Works well with a camping system and survival skills. We have neither.

...setting up guards ...
Party system.

My question is, is anything of that in the game? And if not is there a chance to see anything of that implemented if you happen to have time at the end?
No to both questions, unfortunately.

Fryjar

Augur
Hm, yeah many features of the Arkadia system probably work better with a party based game...
Btw:Do you have special encounters on the world map or just combat events? And if yes, what kind of diversity range can we expect?
Additionally, can we expect some references or minor jokes in some side quests?
I was thinking about something subtle along the lines of the currency joke of Set's son in FO2 or the waterchip shipment in vault city.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fryjar said:
Btw:Do you have special encounters on the world map or just combat events? And if yes, what kind of diversity range can we expect?
Yes. What kinda diversity? Hard to answer, without spoiling and causing John to have an "episode" :wink:

These events feature members of different factions (i.e. the Forty Thieves thugs attacking Commercium's caravans), decisions, and in-game consequences.

Additionally, can we expect some references or minor jokes in some side quests?
Nope. Not even a "how radiant!" joke. :(

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, that one is in. There are references where they fit like "when I get paid, I always see the job through" (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly line). There are no "lol" jokes.

John Yossarian

Magister
Vault Dweller said:
without spoiling and causing John to have an "episode" :wink:
Thank you for your cooperation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom