Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Software

Relayer71

Liturgist
I've heard a lot of the various Spidwerweb games and read a few interviews with Jeff Vogel but I've never played any of the games except for a demo many years ago which I didn't play for very long.

Anyway, my question is: what do you recommend I start with?

The first title of either the Avernum or Geneforge series? Or should I start with one of the sequels? And which series?

I'm just tired of replaying the handful of good RPGs and can't be bothered to finish or attempt to restart the other huge pile of mediocre ones. So I figured I'd try one of these games before moving on to the latest NWN2 expansion or adventure pack or whatever they're calling it.

Nex

Cipher
Flip a coin and start with Geneforge 1 or Avernum 1.

I did avernum then geneforge and enjoyed them both.

Humanophage

Arcane
I would suggest starting out with any instalment of Geneforge, since the setting is more unusual and is described in greater detail. It will have a greater chance of converting you into a fan.

The order of the series isn't very important; you can always start with one of the latter games, especially considering the fact that they feature better interfaces. Why not start with Geneforge 4, for example?

sheek

Arbiter
I wouldn't start with #1. If you do you'll easily end up spending $200+ and give up before you play with the engine improvements. Start with the latest or one before latest in either series and see if you want to play the others.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
I haven't played Avernum, but as for Geneforge I think it's a good idea to start at 1. The story isn't tightly linked between the games so you can play them out of order, but the overarching plot does happen sequentially and it's nice to know what references made to the earlier games mean. The quality between them is all pretty much the same except for 3, which is pretty bad and skipable.

mondblut

Arcane
Exile 3 is the best Spiderweb game. Avernum to Exile is like Failure 3 to Fallout 2. Well, almost.

I'd actually say go Geneforge 2, then the last 2. Gf 2 has a better gaming system than the first, and good use of multiple factions. For some reason I found the characters more interesting and sympathetic than the later ones. You learn most of GF1's story through playing GF2 anyway.

Then skip ahead to the quite substantial interface and graphical improvements, extra classes and gameplay polish. And a truly insane amount of factions, subfactions and C+C.

Warning: the graphical complaints about the games are not simply a matter of cheapness or dated appearance. The actual design itself is far uglier than it needs to be, and at times uses quite jarring colour schemes. The camera can be a bit jarring as well - it's isometric, but one of the worst implementations of isometric that I've seen.

Having said that, I still love them. But there's plenty of people who like old low-graphics games that find Spiderweb games graphically unbearable.

betamin

Learned
Avernum is more of a dungeon crawler, Geneforge has more character interaction and very good c&c.

Geneforge 1 is not that good, G2 is great, 3 was bad, 4 and 5 are very good. If you sart with 1 dont get discouraged since is very "rough", if you dont like it try 4 and 5.

Korgan

Arbiter
Avernum 1, 2 and 3 are great dungeon crawls, nice exploration. Geneforge 2 and 4 is good, 3 is so-so, didn't try 5 yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom