Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spiritual successor to Master of Magic Announced; Worlds of Magic

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
"Worlds of Magic" probably sounds cooler in potato.

When they say the D20 rule set, do they mean what I think they mean? :thumbsup:
That caught my eye too. Interesting.

Misconnected

Savant
Per their forum, D20 means the D&D non-specific parts of the D&D3e system. So.. Mechanics, but not necessarily magic missiles & beholders.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Per their forum, D20 means the D&D non-specific parts of the D&D3e system. So.. Mechanics, but not necessarily magic missiles & beholders.

Yep, the SRD covers it. Basically all every single mechanic without any of the fluff-annotations or specific elements (like the Toughness feat or the Magic Missiles you mention).

Not to sure what I think about that. d20 works in 3.5 and Pathfinder because of the context and the diversity. As a basic system it leaves much to be desired. But I'm positive, and it sounds cool. Will watch this one.

Misconnected

Savant
For the uninitiated, on the off chance there are any around here, D20 is the name of the rule system. The SRD (System Reference Document) are the parts of it you're allowed to make your own. Here's a tabletop gaming friendly version of the SRD, in case anyone wants to see exactly what it is and isn't. Legalese stuff can be found here.

I think the real strength of the D20 SRD is that pretty much anyone who knows what the hell it is, also knows how not to break it. And of course, the system itself was designed for tactical combat focused epic high fantasy, so as long as it's used right it's perfectly suitable for a MoM-like. One of the most common mistakes of video game developers who make remotely TTRPG'ish games, is that they invent their own systems design with zero influence from the last 30 years of TTRPG systems design. Which predictably results in what nice people call a "heartbreaker" and more honest individuals call a pile of stinking, broken shit & fail. So seeing a dev use an established system, any established system, instantly makes me a hell of a lot more optimistic about whatever they're working on.

D20 isn't exactly my cup of tea either. I'll probably get flamed for saying so, but if I had to pick a D&D edition, I'd probably go with 4e. Thing is, though, I don't play combat-centric epic games of any kind, so I don't have a good idea what's out there. Though I suspect most of what is, isn't as easily & freely usable by random 3rd parties.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Master of Mana still is alive, they are working on Master of Mana 2.0, with some alpha builds available at the moment. The are only visible after logging in and checking their "beta section", or something like that.
I had no idea, all I saw was that the download site / version hadn't been updated in a year or something. This is great news.

Well, it's still alpha, and developer has not uploaded new version since October or something. So, it may take at least one year, or it could never been finished. But they are some guys on that forum and they are patching last 1.42 version of that mod. And they are doing damn good job.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm just glad I caught this before it fell off the front page. My world's been pretty sad since Warlock and Elemental came out and the Master of Mana guy vainshed and I haven't had a spiritual successor to MoM to look forward to. Now there's hope in my old heart again. Except for the whole vaporware part.

mOm GUY DIDNT VANISH.. HE JUST HAD A THESIS TO ATTEND TO. IN FACT mom 2.0 beta is already out
(and im to lazy to correct caps)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom