Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Stealth Game Codex Review: Mark of the Ninja

LundB

Mistakes were made.
EDIT:
I just realised I've been having fun in Saints Row 3 co-op, and it ALSO has ability-based character progression unlocked when you gain XP ("Respect"). Can I write a Codex review of Saints Row 3 co-op? It's a really fun game and I think all the Codex should be made aware of it. In fact, it also has C&C which makes it even more of an RPG than MotN, I mean what is an RPG anyway right?

I am 100% super duper serious here guys.

Like totally, bro. While you are at it Far Cry 3 is not going to review itself. ;)

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is reviewing the same popamole games over and over again, expecting the public reaction to change.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yeah, I noticed that two hours ago. Still, the article has been pinned long enough to generate enough interest, and butthurt as a nice bonus. Plus it's still on the first page and in RPG Codex content. You have your petty victory but the true triumph is mine!! Mwahahahaha!! :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a good game. Sort of like 2D platform Thief. Klei has done a good job moving past the fairly generic Shank games. This and the radically different 'Don't Starve' are two of the better indie games in recent years.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This game is SWEET. Finally got around to playing after having read Mrowak 's review. Not killing enemies is entirely different from killing them (as opposed to most stealth-games where non-lethal means shooting enemies with another kind of dart *cough* Dishonored *cough*). In general, a nice game.

Mrowak

Arcane
This game is SWEET. Finally got around to playing after having read Mrowak 's review. Not killing enemies is entirely different from killing them (as opposed to most stealth-games where non-lethal means shooting enemies with another kind of dart *cough* Dishonored *cough*). In general, a nice game.

Yes, it's a fun little game of the kind you don't see often these days - a very simple concept executed flawlessly.

Reviewing Inquisitor taught me that it really doesn't matter how robust and complex features you have - if they are not going to feed onto each other creating coherent whole you are going to end up with a mess. It's better then to go Mark of the Ninja route and stick to core tenets but interconnecting them to build cohesive gameplay experience. In the end Keep It Simple Stupid saved the day. This makes Mark of the Ninja a supreme game, vastly superior to many titles that under the guise of complexity prove to be pretty basic and imbalanced.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Couldn't agree more. Too many games try to do everything and overload themselves with half assed mechanics. The best games are often the ones that intelligently limit themselves so that they can provide more depth.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, that's it, ain't it? The simple mechanics of Mark of the Ninja actually make for a pretty complex gameplay experience with loads of different approaches, ways to handle stuff and outcomes of your actions and executed plans.

Mrowak

Arcane
My only complaint is that it whets your appetite, and you keep craving for more: missions, enemies, events, twists etc. At the end, I felt there could have been much more in it. :(

BobtheTree

Savant
My only complaint is that it whets your appetite, and you keep craving for more: missions, enemies, events, twists etc. At the end, I felt there could have been much more in it. :(
You could always replay missions with different loadouts. I did this for a while. But yea, I would love to see a followup to this game. Such an amazing realization of stealth gameplay.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Klei is a relatively small developer. Perhaps they'll make a sequel seeing how popular it was but, at the moment, they're still working on Don't Starve.

Vibalist

Arcane
Excellent game. It takes maybe about 5 or 6 hours to finish, but Steam says I've clocked in about 20 because replaying missions and opting for different approaches is simply so much fun. Everything about Mark of the Ninja simply works. The controls, the level design, the AI, the gadgets and different armor types, etc. It's really one of the sleeper hits of 2012 in my opinion.

Vibalist

Arcane
And fuck me if terrorizing guards by hanging bodies from ledges isn't the most satisfying thing ever.

Castanova

Prophet
Great game but I had no idea the same people are the ones behind Don't Starve. I don't know much about the new game but I saw a stream of someone playing it and it looked kind of tedious. Anyone have thoughts?

Mrowak

Arcane
And fuck me if terrorizing guards by hanging bodies from ledges isn't the most satisfying thing ever.

I only wish there was more to this mechanic. It's an entirely optional gimmick you don't have to use at any point. It would be cool if you could take advantage of it more often in more meaningful way...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great game but I had no idea the same people are the ones behind Don't Starve. I don't know much about the new game but I saw a stream of someone playing it and it looked kind of tedious. Anyone have thoughts?
I played the free version of the alpha for a while, I like the premise. If you've played Terraria it has a similar vibe to it.

I have a feeling replay value will be very low though. It will just be figuring out recipes and the best way to collect resources. Once, you've done that it will be boring. So walkthroughs and wikis will also ruin the game quickly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unless you've watched a recent video of Don't Starve, the early ones can be deceptive. They have added a ton of content and challenging conditions/events during the last several months. It's still the same basic gameplay so it won't be everyone's idea of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom