Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News System Shock 2 Community Patch Released

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wonder if they chose the name as a reference to The SCP Foundation. Anyway, I've been thinking for a while now that I should do another SS2 playthrough, having not played it in 10 years. If I do, I'll give this patch a try.

They really should change the name to SS2CP or just SSCP.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I miss looking glass, SS2 is one hell of a nice game. I still prefer it over all other 0451 immersive sims.

ST'Ranger

Augur
This game is one of the most remarkable in the extended catalogue. Tangible atmosphere. Interesting story. Subtle mystery. Interesting combat. Non-arbitrary elements of survival. The list keeps going with so many intertwined elements, most of them working organically and summing to a larger whole. What's even more remarkable is the failure of others to copy the success of this game. Bioshock is but an infantile shadow of the spirit of this game. It cannot compare to the immensity of the experience of playing SS2. It escapes me how console trash like Dead State even garnered a comparison in games media.

From ~2002 to 2010 games media obsessed over the concept of immersion - so much so that it eventually lost its meaning entirely in its inevitable transformation to buzzword. But SS2 was a game that really did immersion correctly. It truly is something that should be studied and copied, but game developers seem far more interested in making everything an in-engine first-person cutscene (which is ironically the opposite of immersion, taking control of the game completely away from the player).

The game is not without its flaws, but the adoration and attention given to it after so many years is refreshing. It acts as another affirmation that there are smart, dedicated people who share respect of aesthetic greatness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom