Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactical non-fantasy RPGs

Major_Boobage

Scholar
karnot said:
something like Syndicate (it has implants, futuristic guns and is squad based) but with better combat (possibly TB) and some role-playing.
All the people in this thread are giving replies that are so off the mark...

Anyway, exactly the thing you want - Paradise Cracked.

Thats because it should be in general gaming. I love syndicate but what the TS ask are not rpgs so :?

Yeesh

Magister
Oh, nothing's RPGs if you define the term narrowly enough.

That said, I reiterate that SS is probably your best bet if you don't want to go too far back. Aside from some annoyingly incongruous stuff towards the end, the only thing that really bugged me about SS (and SSS) was the weapon ranges. Because the game is in realistic 3-D, I was really turned off when a pistol couldn't shoot 40 feet. In JA2, the ranges were at least in the realm of sensible, once you accept that the square which fits only one of your guys is actually 10m X 10m...

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
The Dude said:
Oh yeah, the first Front Mission for SNES is very nice too, if you can roll with some mechs instead of characters that is. Only thing is that you wish you could use a mouse instead of the stupid keyboard/gamepad so fucking badly sometimes.
Seconded, and as a sidenote, if you like Front Mission 1, don't play the sequels. They suck.

Hey now, only FM 4 sucked.

Andyman Messiah said:
The Dude said:
Oh yeah, the first Front Mission for SNES is very nice too, if you can roll with some mechs instead of characters that is. Only thing is that you wish you could use a mouse instead of the stupid keyboard/gamepad so fucking badly sometimes.
Seconded, and as a sidenote, if you like Front Mission 1, don't play the sequels. They suck.

Front Mission 3 was much better, and 4 was better still. (Though it lost the collateral damage and mech swiping 3 had. It had an overall better story and faster moving game.)

Its a little more high scifi, but the various Super Robot Taisen games are good for laser gun RPG tactical. 2 got GBA english ports, and if you like to play with emulators and ips patching 2 of the proper full of giant robot cartoon robots had complete translations (3 on the SNES, Alpha Gaiden on the PS1) made. A few more of the SRTs had menu translations done of them.

The same developers made a TBSRPG Zone of the Enders game too subtitled The Fist of Mars which was absolutely sublime. Even had an action mode if you didn't want to use percentile roll combat resolution. (Which made the game incredibly easy mind you but that's ok.)

If you like X Com style stuff the GBA had a Rebelstar Tactical Command game. (Basically Rebelstar predated Laser Squad which then became X Com.)

If you don't mind moldy old DOS stuff, Space Crusade is a RPG lite game in the 40K universe. A modified port of a tabletop boardgame similar to Hero Quest, except you get to run through dunge-- err Space Hulks with an entire squad of characters and your Sergeant gets advancements as you work through the missions.

There have been a couple Battletech SRPG/Tactical games too. Though all the licensed ones outside of the first have been real time.

Arlborn

Novice
I've registered just to help you out. Ain't I cool?

Check this link, very helpful in finding games:

http://www.allgame.com/style.php?id=414&tab=games&sort=rating_desc

While not everything is listed there, it helps a lot. Also, check the list of 2D turn-based strategy and 3D turn-based strategy if you want to find more games that are a bit more in the RPG side of things:

http://www.allgame.com/style.php?id=407&tab=games&sort=rating_desc

http://www.allgame.com/style.php?id=110&tab=games&sort=rating_desc

I always use this site when I am on the hunt for some games to play. I then check more information of a certain games in other places of the internet if something attracts me.

sah

Liturgist
Ah yes, that's very helpful.

My problem is that games with interesting combat rarely interest me in terms of story, characters, exploration etc. I started playing through Freedom Force but sadly it's not much of an RPG.

Arlborn

Novice
sah said:
Ah yes, that's very helpful.

My problem is that games with interesting combat rarely interest me in terms of story, characters, exploration etc. I started playing through Freedom Force but sadly it's not much of an RPG.

That is true. It is still a nice game to play though, I really like the final 1/3 of it.

Arlborn

Novice
Hey, what about http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=42313&tab=screen?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/grom?q=grom

It looks like there is mixed reviews, but the screenshots are nice, seems to be a real strategy RPG. I think you should give it a try because, after all, the main complaint of the reviews is that it is too hard but some people actually enjoy games like that. I plan on giving it a try. If you want to know where you can find it, well, send me a message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom