Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Hearts of Iron 3 devs seem to be on the right track...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The 3D map is apparently much more flexible to work with and easier to mod. And besides, paradox games have never had more than functional graphics, 2D or 3D, how would you expect them to make a map as nice as that?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Spectacle said:
And besides, paradox games have never had more than functional graphics, 2D or 3D, how would you expect them to make a map as nice as that?

By hiring an artist?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Trash said:
GeneralSamov said:
kris said:
You focusing on so strange things. Placeholder names and a unfinished map are not the things to put focus on.

Personally I like more provinces, worked well in victoria apart from micromanaging certain improvements. I am sure they learnt their lesson there though. No, for me the AI is a more important issue.

Humanophage

Arcane
Victoria and Hearts of Iron had beautiful maps, even the units looked decent. The map also looked very harmonious with the detailed interface (the interface remained decent in EUIII). The general map in EUIII, on the other hand, was so spectacularly ugly I had to force myself to play the game in the beginning, knowing from previous experience that the gameplay shall be worth it. The only functional advantage of 3D maps is smooth zooming, something that I personally could easily ignore in previous games.

mondblut

Arcane
The map of Crusader Kings looked very pretty.

The problem is, it only clutters the view. After looking at these forests and hills for 5 minutes you turn them off, switching to color-coded political control mode instead, or some other equally graphically bland but gameplay-relevant view.

Humanophage

Arcane
I was referring to political maps in Victoria and HoI, which are ideally clear, and which look akin to what one would expect to see when looking at a real map.

EUIII has quite a weird style: it combines realistic animated oceans, a 2D interface from the older games, and 3D models, which probably should make the player feel like he's playing a table-top game. It's all extremely unconvincing and damaging to the otherwise serious atmosphere of the game, and not just because the models are horribly ugly.

Similarly, I believe that HoMM3 looks superior to HoMM5, for instance. The former is functional and reasonably detailed. It's like an animated medieval map. The latter is cluttered, confusing, excessive.

oscar

Arcane
I would like to have a mix of terrain type and political map mode, with weather. I don't think anyone ever uses the other maps so just focus on making them look good.

Destroid

Arcane
oscarisaiah said:
I would like to have a mix of terrain type and political map mode, with weather. I don't think anyone ever uses the other maps so just focus on making them look good.

This would be damn handy. I rarely move outside of the political map, and conveying something simple like terrain and weather (vital for combat) on the one map with territory ownerships would speed up information gathering while in conflicts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom