Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "must plays" aka a plea from a newbie

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you didn't like nwn odds are you won't like nwn2 either.

JesusGreen

Novice
Mastermind said:

Well I loved it when I first got it, and I did love how many mods were available, but the game got boring for me after a while and I can't really get back into it, unlike say Arcanum where even if I play it way too long and get bored, if I take a break for a couple of weeks the game's as good as new when I return.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
We really need a list of RPGs stickied in GRPGD or something to stop threads like this from cropping up.

Also, those old threads tend to stay accurate because good RPGs don't come out very often. New Vegas pretty much the only game I played last year I would recommend to anyone.

genci88

Educated
Mastermind said:
I hated NWN, but loved NWN2.

NWN was an more like an action RPG, whereas NWN2 was more like a regular RPG in the same vein as Baldur's Gate.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
JesusGreen said:
Not sure about NWN2 but I'll give it a try anyway, NWN was fun but it didn't really cut it for me, so I'm hoping NWN2 is a big improvement.

Don't get me wrong, NWN2 is far from the high point of gaming, but you should play it to get the most out of Mask of the Betrayer, which continues its campaign.

JesusGreen

Novice
genci88 said:
Mastermind said:
I hated NWN, but loved NWN2.

NWN was an more like an action RPG, whereas NWN2 was more like a regular RPG in the same vein as Baldur's Gate.

This makes me feel it's worth a try, I suppose there's no harm in giving it a shot.

Also, I just uhm, purchased, copies of Vampire The Masquerade, Ultima 7, and Divine Divinity. I also still have Planescape installed without giving it a try so I should probably get around to that, and I'm giving Arcanum another shot but with a throwing character this time.

Currently in the process of purchasing Jagged Alliance 2 and Divinity II, after that I'll take a look at some of the other suggestions.

waywardOne

Arcane
deus ex invisible war is a must have for any rpg enthusiasisititititsstttt.

Aothan

Magister
Temple of Elemental Evil with the additional Co8 (Circle of Eight) modification content is as good as recommendation as any other. My basic suggestion is try at least one or two other games for a few consecutive weeks, so as to avoid playing the same (personally enjoyable) game repetitively. Although options can be limited there should be at least five or so games or similar interest, of which you likely suspect to be worthwhile but will have to play for a moderate period to better understand how they play and can thus be enjoyed.

I'm speaking from personal experience of habit where it can take months or actually quite longer for a gradual transition to 'new' untried games that I come to equally enjoy. In retrospect if I had simply attempted to play them at an earlier time it would have been the difference between one enjoyable game with that of two or more. Hopefully this does not sound as banal as 'just be experimental', I've come to appreciate the advantages (or rather the flawed habit of playing one game for years) of a little effort where general interest is already apparent.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
ToEE is a great suggestion, but it bears repeating that it's good for nothing but the combat. In fact, it contains virtually nothing but the combat; what rare non-combat content is in there is appallingly dry and charmless.

That said, the combat is goddamn incredible. Best PC D&D implementation ever.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
Now that's quality trolling.

The troll painstakingly created a character who was a gamer since he got his first computer (which might have been yesterday), hates Oblivion and the latest trends, loves Arcanum to death but never finished it (ADD?), genuinely interested in Fallout, but can't overcome his dislike for TB combat, and is looking for games with "actual depth", you know, like Arcanum and Diablo 2.

Bravo, good sir!
And what was that great about that again? He just blurted it all out in one, single post. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom