Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The nature of AoD's main quest

Lumpy

Arcane
How does the main storyline work? I know there are 3 ways to finish it, but are those ways set in stone? Or is the storyline separated in main events, which have to be reached, but can be in different ways, with different series of quests?
Or is it like Fallout?
How many main-quest-related quests will the player have to do in a normal playthrough?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
How does the main storyline work? I know there are 3 ways to finish it, but are those ways set in stone?
There are seven ways to finish it, so the answer to your question is no.

Or is the storyline separated in main events, which have to be reached, but can be in different ways, with different series of quests?
Each Noble House has its own way of locating the temple through different locations, NPCs, quests, if that's what you are asking.

How many main-quest-related quests will the player have to do in a normal playthrough?
Depends on how much info you want to gather before you go in. Your understanding of the events affect the endings. Overall, there are over 50 quests related to the main "theme".

Vault Dweller

Developer
The question is too general. Can you fail to deliver what one of the Noble Houses asked you to do and do something else instead? Yes. You must travel to the temple though.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's kinda like how in FO, you went to the vats and the Master's Lair regardless, but things didnt have to be cut and dry in either case. In the case of the master, you could fight, join, convince him the error of his ways, or simply bypass him and go instead to the nuke in the lowest level.

Bradylama

Arcane
You couldn't do that without delivering the Water Chip to the Vault, though. Unless maybe you killed the Master and destroyed the Vats before the waterchip timer expired. I dunno.

galsiah

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
...or simply bypass him and go instead to the nuke in the lowest level.
I did it that way without realizing there was an alternative - I'll have to play again and have a chat with the bloke.

@Bradylama:
Apparently you could do all that without getting the water chip first. I'm not sure what that does for the ending sequence, but I'm told it's possible.

VD - glad to hear you're going for something more than win/lose endings.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's what makes Fallout so awesome. No, not the nuke. That "I never realized..." thing.

Ladonna

Arcane
I wonder if theres a way into that computer room at the end of FO2.....

I also remember one of million playthroughs in Arcanum where I talked the Dwarves into attacking Tarant....If only I could make that cutscene play normally...

Vince, what game would you be willing to say 'My game is equal to....'? Fallout? Arcanum? Oblivion? :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
Minesweeper.

The answer is none, of course. The game is too different from anything else, just like Fallout, PST, Arcanum were different from each other and anything else.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Even more, I think. It's like Minesweeper meets Solitaire. Totally revolutionary, of course.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
...hey, that would mean we would regret playing the main quest, if it could change the nature of a man.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
Even more, I think. It's like Minesweeper meets Solitaire. Totally revolutionary, of course.

If you don't deliver on the promise, I'm going to beat you to death with packs of playing cards to the tune of Motorhead's Ace of Spades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom