Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The REAL Best Thread Ever

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2030
My favorite:
A friend who never GMs wanted to try GMing. So we all made decided to make evil dwarves without checking with him. We were supposed to be trying to deal with an opposing evil faction, “The order of the Pick.” Instead, we spent 14 hours of game time systematically ruining the life of a barmaid who made an offhand comment rebuking the CHA 6 dwarf hitting on her. We broke into her house and burned something different each day until she had literally nothing. One day we went and cut off a toe. We used magic, gossip and planted evidence to have everyone in town think she was a lying thieving adulterer, and eventually we had her committed to an insane asylum.

Sirus

Liturgist
when I played D&D we mostly just drank mountain dew and talked about warcraft 3

Zomg

Arbiter
Misogyny in a D&D game? I've never heard of such a thing, or half-orc rape babies neither.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Sirus said:
when I played D&D we mostly just drank mountain dew and talked about warcraft 3

When I played D&D, we drank Mountain Dew and talked about Ultima 3.

My, how times have changed... :shock:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been playing D&D for 15 years, and we've talked about quite a few different things while drinking mountain dew.

Squeek

Scholar
It's been a long while since I played D&D, but I have to admit I can relate. There were about a dozen of us who played together, and some had more social skills than others. But we were all good at D&D, no doubt about it.

Like performance art, role-playing easily lends itself to collaboration. Every kind of entertainer -- actors, musicians, comedians, dancers -- you name it; they all consider and play off of each others' work. It just works better that way.

IMO, one of the best ways to put more "R" in CRPG would be to emphasize collaboration, and in a single-player game, the source for that can only be the game itself. In an online world, single-player CRPGs could be designed to work dynamically and in a way that involved clever collaboration.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I played it only once, and all I remember from it was the discussion which player should we toss inside some deadly jelly.

Helton

Arcane
I played DnD once everyone was stoned and I had contact and then we went to the park and ran from imaginery Park Rangers.

1eyedking

Erudite
Evil campaigns in D&D were always fresh. I remember dungeon mastering a 'Triad of Death' campaign, where a cleric of Bane, a necromancer, and a fighter/thief made their way into infamy.

Ah, those were the first and second edition days...no fancy stats (nothing above 15), no phat lewt, just pure role-playing and tactics. I don't regret a single minute I spent crafting those dungeons, tinkering with encounters, and laying down the politics and plot.

Things became different in 3rd edition, however...

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ebonsword said:
When I played D&D, we drank Mountain Dew and talked about Ultima 3.

Fitting in between Ultima 3 and Warcraft 3. We usually just talked about Starcraft. Evetually, dnd sessions used to end in front of our pcs. Hell of a fun, it was.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Players I was DMing long time ago, managed to steal a ship from pirates, sell it and decide to invest the money in whorehouses, so they could use the massive profits to buy equipment.

Players get a quest to find a pegasus for a paladin. Players get a normal horse, paint it white, glue fake wings, take money and run.

DnD can be so much fun with the right people. The kind of people who play thieves with Parkinson's, or etch their names with knives on the asses of fallen comrades before resurrecting them, or who play female half-orc barbarians trying to rape every man they find, or who wont pay a ridiculously small amount of money for a trinket, and try to steal it, and fail, and get the whole city trying to kill them...

I haven't played in ages... :/

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
I never played DnD. Nerds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom