Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher combat mods?

Severian Silk

Are there any mods that improve The Witcher's combat? I simply hate it, and it's the only reason I'm not continuing to play this game.

I would prefer the over-the-shoulder combat style if the reticule or deadzone or whatever weren't so damned small.

Captain Shrek

Are there any mods that improve The Witcher's combat? I simply hate it, and it's the only reason I'm not continuing to play this game.

I would prefer the over-the-shoulder combat style if the reticule or deadzone or whatever weren't so damned small.
Unfortunately no. It's the single most annoying thing in that game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There's Full Combat Rebalance that many people seem to like. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's good, but I guess you should give it a go. Apparently it completely changes the combat system.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, combat gets very tedious at times unfortunately. You can avoid a lot of it by maxing out Igni though, it gets stupidly overpowered in the mid-late game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Push A for Awesome! Just another reason why this game is highly overrated.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
use FCR and just give it some time. It becomes easier as you get used to it. Actually once you get the hand of it youll be wishing it was harder... Above posters are probably missing opposable thumbs among other things

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
tumblr_lwtmjkyqSP1qgyhqlo1_500.png

Captain Shrek

use FCR and just give it some time. It becomes easier as you get used to it. Actually once you get the hand of it youll be wishing it was harder... Above posters are probably missing opposable thumbs among other things
I think it is already easy. You just to get accostomed to it. The problem is that it is without merit, a diablo like simulator with an add on that modulates the click frequency. The Fast, slow and mid attack rates feel very stiff.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Yes it seems like it has strange occult mechanics behind it at first but its really simple and there arent any fights except the final one maybe that are hard enough to keep you from enjoying a good-for-what-is game. still popamole action duck-and-roll though....

Captain Shrek

I would say that going past the combat mechanics, the game otherwise is really good. The world is well done, personalities of characters are lively (And I don't mean that because of the expletives alone). The story is okay-ish. The potions system is a step in right direction. The Leveling mechanics is so and so. It is worth playing once.

The swamp area is a terrible, monster infested 'dungeon' where some of the most annoying creatures re-spawn (but that makes sense in perspective that the swamp is their breeding ground).

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Thumbs? Were you playing on a console?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Fuck that shit, did mods fix the shitty Wither 2 combat?
(IT WAS ON SALE!)

Captain Shrek

IT can't really be fixed.

Wait.

What did you dislike about it? That might actually be relevant.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Play it on hard so don't have to look for the stupid sword icon. It is really stupid.
On hard you have to listen for a swinging sound or click when the sword leaves a fiery trail. It is easier than in sound and you get to enjoy the animations (which are nice) instead of looking at a stupid sword icon.

It is easy.
On the other hand, you need to buy some books about alchemy, monsters etc, but there isn't anything else to spend your money on in this game, so the books are worth it.
Oh and make potions and try not go fight without drinking a Swallow potion first. There are some other useful potions as well, and blade coating and bombs are no bad at all. It is actually fun once you get used to it.
I don't think you need FCR. It might actually make things worse. Just play it on hard or use a mod that removes the sword icon during combat (if there is such mod) and you will be fine.

Oh and for the swamp area you definitely need to buy a drowner -repeling talisman. It makes it much easier.
And the Swamp is actually quite beautiful at night when you can enjoy it instead of fighting drowners all the time.

Kahlis

Cipher
I haven't used FCR but one issue I remember reading in the manual is that the enemies' animations aren't synchronized with their new attack patterns. You'll see damage numbers randomly flying out of Geralt and won't be able to anticipate them. Not sure if that's still the case, though.

Yeah, combat gets very tedious at times unfortunately. You can avoid a lot of it by maxing out Igni though, it gets stupidly overpowered in the mid-late game.
Before the final battle in the epilogue, I took practically every sign-related potion - Petri's Philter, Maribor Forest, Tawny Owl(?) and managed to kill the big bads just by running around and spamming Igni at them. Both of them.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I haven't used FCR but one issue I remember reading in the manual is that the enemies' animations aren't synchronized with their new attack patterns. You'll see damage numbers randomly flying out of Geralt and won't be able to anticipate them. Not sure if that's still the case, though.
Yep. The Witcher is based on the NWN engine and if you played NWN, you knew animation speed would be really weird and out of sync with the combat damage. I am not sure if that is the engine's fault itself and if it's unfixable, but I think it might have happened in KotOR and NWN2. It worked there because the games weren't action-based, but with The Witcher's direct control scheme it just does not work well at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Witcher isn't really action-based either. The dodge just gives you a +50 bonus to dodge as you move out of the way regardless of what's happening with the animations. Like DA:O you can't avoid attacks since the damage is frontloaded.

Severian Silk

I just finished the game. I got used to the combat after a while. The only problem was with target selection using the mouse in tight spaces. Sometimes the wrong target would be selected because of a bad mouse click.

I'm looking forward to Witcher 2 when it goes on sale.

[edit]

Also, who makes for the better witcher? Geralt or Daenerys Targaryen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom