Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher essential mods

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
made said:
Tycn said:
Sounds frustrating in a game where you have no active control over your blocking.
It sure is. There is active dodge (double tap) but it's pretty unresponsive so more often than not you'll get hit anyway. The mod actually amplifies a problem the original game had already: stuns = death. And there's plenty of them. Fighting a single enemy is pretty easy even with the mod, but as soon as you're surrounded and get incapacitated you might as well reload. It's very frustrating at lower levels, until you get a bunch of avoidance and stun resistance talents.

Mrowak said:
A tip for you... remember that signs were nerfed considerably.
Shame. I was planning on a magic-focused build this time around. Aard stun is still very useful at the start though. Guess I'll take the suggested agility talents first and then see about the rest.

I just meant here that you can no longer spam igni and aard and expect everything to die. I think magic build is still a valid option, though certainly it will nerf down melee combat capabilities.

The other day I was fighting the Hellhound at the end of ch 1. I'm not sure if it's FCR or if it's always been like that, but you lose all buffs/oils before the fight which is beyond retarded. So I finally managed to kill the beast on like the 10th try by abusing the scenery and 1-shotting it after Aard stun (which again is retarded) only to get zerged by the peasant mob and die, at which point I decided to give it a rest for the night. First thing I do if I ever manage to get to the city is buy the pot to lower the difficulty.

That's strange. While the cutscene did remove the potions effect it didn't do anything to the spectre oil on my sword when I was playing. I think that the game always moves you to a certain point in time for the cutscene (late night) so some short-lived effects may wear off. Try applying the oil just before leaving the cave.

made

Arcane
Could be, though strangely the time jump didn't affect my toxicity level. It's no big deal anyway. There's a spot between the two huts where the hounds can't reach you so you can apply buffs in peace. Ofc you can't keep Abigail alive that way but at that point who cares.

Vibalist

Arcane
Mrowak said:
That's strange. While the cutscene did remove the potions effect it didn't do anything to the spectre oil on my sword when I was playing. I think that the game always moves you to a certain point in time for the cutscene (late night) so some short-lived effects may wear off. Try applying the oil just before leaving the cave.

This doesn't work. Already tried it.

made said:
Could be, though strangely the time jump didn't affect my toxicity level. It's no big deal anyway. There's a spot between the two huts where the hounds can't reach you so you can apply buffs in peace. Ofc you can't keep Abigail alive that way but at that point who cares.

I'm pretty sure Abigail lives no matter what, even if she goes down.

dr. one

Augur
Vibalist said:
Mrowak said:

This doesn't work. Already tried it.

Since the cutscene always moves player to midnight (IIRC), meditating till 23:30 then drinking pots/applying oil and leaving should result in effects still being intact after the cutscene (except for blizzard).

Pegultagol

Erudite
Yes, the Beast. I got the game on GOG sale after weeks of suspecting that it would be so before Witcher 2's release, and played it as much as I could until I promised myself to quit only when I died, and the Beast came up. Of course, I didn't give up after the first death, or second, or third, and on the sixth try I was able to best it, only to be overcome by the clusterfuck right afterwards, inducing much frothing at the mouth and blinding keyboard smashing rage. While it worked, I ran around in circles while fighting the Beast to try to charge my vitals slowly fill up with the 'Swallow' potion, then hit the stun magic and go in swinging with the group stance until either I back up after couple hits or become locked in some 'pain' status and watch my vitals drain haplessly. Then I would repeat running around the circles again. Later I found out about this 'Blizzard' potion that would have been tremendously helpful, but spent it the first time I encountered a 'boss' character of Salamanders, and didn't have the forethought to make another one. However I think the fights in the future would not prove as troublesome as this. Other than that, enjoying the game so far...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom