Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Limits

I don't really know what I think of them. On the one hand they are counter to the pace I like to explore and delve into a RPG. I want to be able to take my time, and search every nook and cranny, and I suppose that's powergaming, but when a world's full of small details, like any good RPG should be, then I want to expereicne it. Being a second too late and failing a quest is also a major drag.
On the other hand, when faced with a time limit, the player feels like their actions matter more, and one cannot dawdle too much or the world or quest or whatever may die or be failed. The sense of urgency adds tension and it makes the game more realistic. "Yeah, I'll deal with them demons spewing outta that portal when I feel like it."
Will AOD have quests with time limits and what do other people think of them?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
The AoD approach looks reasonable, adding (pseudo) time limits where it makes sense, but simplifying it from the mechanics standpoint:
Vince said:
We don't have day/night cycle, but we do have night maps for certain quests. We don't have time limits, so your active *local* quests are open as long as you in the location. When you leave it (and you'll be warned that travel will take many days, so if you need to take care about some urgent shit, you better do it first), all your local quests will be auto completed and default outcomes will be chosen.
I think time pressure can be fun if it fits theme of the game. Fallout wouldn't be the same without it (even though it was very liberal). It contributes to the atmosphere, adds focus and motivation to your actions and forces you to make decisions. If it makes you miss some content it's no big deal. You can always play again, or satisfy your exploring urges after you've done the urgent stuff (no pun intended).

It's probably not a good idea if the game isn't designed with replayability in mind or when exploration is the main focus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom