Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Outpost Release Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Should I play this game or no?

This and Encased are among the most uninteresting games I have played, they are also janky and run like shit
Bad take. This is a wholly unique game in a genre that desperately needs a shot of creativity. It has jank, but who fucking cares? This is RPG Codex. We like Gothic and Realms of Arkania here.
Wasting your time,luji is well know to be mega sperging bitch with a shitty taste.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bad take. This is a wholly unique game in a genre that desperately needs a shot of creativity.

Ehh

it IS unique, but that doesn't mean it's good

Disco Elysium is unique too, but it's hardly a step in the right direction

and don't equate "creativity" with system bloat. Many people believe they are "innovating" by adding a bunch of systems one on top of another

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If this game had come out in 1999 you'd be championing it as an example of "devs used to take chances with genre hybrids, now everything is stale and safe".

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If this game had come out in 1999 you'd be championing it as an example of "devs used to take chances with genre hybrids, now everything is stale and safe".

genre hybrids never worked (except maybe HoMM 3... if you even want to call it a hybrid)

best example is Spellforce, forever mediocre IP

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
@fantadomat might be his own brand of retard, but at least he is still playing and enjoying games, unlike you sad poser :)

You two are still playing games because you are retards and losers in life. I am very picky cause I played games when they were good, when they were the BEST... why the fuck would I play games now, when they are trash? You are very stupid

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron

genre hybrids never worked (except maybe HoMM 3... if you even want to call it a hybrid)

Deus Ex, King of Dragon Pass (maybe, idk even what genre to call it), Grand Theft Auto (this one was so successful it just about came to define the modern AAA action game), Jagged Alliance 2, Star Control 2.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
@fantadomat might be his own brand of retard, but at least he is still playing and enjoying games, unlike you sad poser :)

You two are still playing games because you are retards and losers in life. I am very picky cause I played games when they were good, when they were the BEST... why the fuck would I play games now, when they are trash? You are very stupid
While you're totally not a loser, wasting your time on the Codex discussing hobby you no longer share :-D you're a caricature of a grognard with little to add to any conversation about games, especially those created after 1999.

Lhynn

Arcane
this is the definition of a "7/10 game" tbh
7/10 games are great. They are also incredibly rare.
I simply dont know how you are rating shit, but if this is two steps above average thats amazing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Deus Ex, King of Dragon Pass (maybe, idk even what genre to call it), Grand Theft Auto (this one was so successful it just about came to define the modern AAA action game), Jagged Alliance 2, Star Control 2.

the fuck you talking about mate

GTA is a third-person, action adventure game

Jagged Alliance 2 is an RPG

They arent 'genre hybrids'

You are right about Star Control, but guess what - it was never replicated

King of Dragon Pass - never replicated

The vast majority can't do this, unless it's really, really good it won't work. Titan outpost isn't on that level lol

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm biased, but of course you should play it!

This and Encased are among the most uninteresting games I have played, they are also janky and run like shit
It has gotten plenty of updates since you tried it. It's still a little janky but it definitely doesn't 'run like shit'. Smooth performance unless you run ultra settings on a potato.

You once called TO a 'clever game but not an RPG because no combat'. That's a hot debate in and of itself, but nothing like what you said here. Worst thing you said about it is that you thought it looked bland. Don't know why you're displaying a hate boner for it now.

GTA is a third-person, action adventure game
No it's not. We're talking 1997 here. GTA 1 was a hybrid of a top down shooter (which was popular at the time, eg. Take No Prisoners) and a racing game with resource collection and other elements. Taking different jobs was inspired by Elite, for example. It was also janky as fuck. GTA 2 improved massively on that formula. GTA 3 turned it into what the franchise is today and is a very different beast, but still takes its fundamental loop from the first two games. Before GTA1, there was nothing like it. Mike Dailly had to convince the boss it wasn't a racing game and snuck it past him at first, despite riding the wave of Lemming's massive success.

The vast majority can't do this, unless it's really, really good it won't work. Titan outpost isn't on that level lol
What does that even mean? The vast majority of what? I'm one guy. There isn't exactly a host of people trying to do something similar.

Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games. I agree Titan Outpost is not on that level, but maybe it's my Star Control 1. If people who let's say thought Star Control 1 was a 7/10 game went around telling people not to play it, I don't think Ford and Reiche would have ever gotten Accolade to fund Star Control 2. I'm developing a follow-up out of pocket regardless because it's a labor of love, but the point stands. If you want to be edgy just for the sake of it, at least keep it real.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No,you shouldn't play it....but you should buy it. Clearly you lack the intelligence needed to appreciate the game,since you ask such a retarded question.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
IMG_7377.jpeg

Still a damn pity no GOG release.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
7/10 is selling it short, there are some rough edges mechanically, but the game’s great on the fun side.

What’s the current status of game no. 2?

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
7/10 is selling it short, there are some rough edges mechanically, but the game’s great on the fun side.

What’s the current status of game no. 2?
Thanks.

Status of TJS is slow and steady. It's about 80% complete systems-wise and under 50% in terms of content. The combat alpha for TJS made me realize that my plan of being able to initiate combat almost everywhere requires tools for generating environmental combat data or I'll never get it done, so I spent time on my tile generator logic, determining walkable sides automatically, where magnetized boots can work, etc. etc. Doing that by hand meant one combat area took me a ridiculous amount of time to make. I'm still doing specialized combat areas, but not every fight has to be a set piece. In fact, that's something I wish to avoid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom