Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Too Many Games syndrome

Stabwound

Arcane
I seem to have a problem with starting a ton of games and never finishing any of them. The problem is exasperated due to having no qualms with not removing games from inventory, meaning there is no monetary guilt with quitting a game after a few hours. I probably finish about 5% of the games I ever play, and it's not due to them being shitty, I just lose interest and start playing something else.

Anyone else do this?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Stabwound said:
I seem to have a problem with starting a ton of games and never finishing any of them. The problem is exasperated due to having no qualms with not removing games from inventory, meaning there is no monetary guilt with quitting a game after a few hours. I probably finish about 5% of the games I ever play, and it's not due to them being shitty, I just lose interest and start playing something else.

Anyone else do this?
When you stuck, lose interest or don't have time, you keep saves and wait until problems are solved. Walkthrough of some games take for me more than decade.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fowyr said:
When you stuck, lose interest or don't have time, you keep saves and wait until problems are solved.
You, sir, are a man after my own heart :salute:

There aren't many games that took me years to complete... but there's a few. There's also a couple I STILL haven't completed (I refuse to look at walkthroughs), but I'll get there. One day I will. And I know I will because it's happened before.

CrimHead

Scholar
I don't have this problem. I've got this compulsion to complete every game I play.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I know what you fuckers mean. Didn't bother finishing Brütal Legend despite having good writing and a cool setting. The silly button mashing and boss fights are just too tedious.

These days I don't even bother finishing demos (Gothic 4) because they suck so hard.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I pirate everything that comes out, try it all for an hour at most, then if total crap I delete; if has potential or I'm not quite in the mood to learn the game or play the genre I'll make a copy and archive it for later. If I really like the game I'll finish it in one go then go buy it as I like to reward such developers and assuage my guilt for enjoying immensely a pirated game ;) Last time I did this though was with RISEN. Of course something short and throwaway like COD I'll play through even if it's not that great.

I understand the feeling of starting everything then finishing little though.

I also encourage making saves, have a few gigs of them from finished and unfinished games though for RPG's it tends to be a bit pointless as by the time you go back to a game you probably forget where you were up to, what you were doing etc. and so tend to just restart the game anyway. Saves work better for other genres such as FPS, RTS, Strategy etc.

Humanophage

Arcane
I chiefly go through about 75% of the game provided that I like it, and it has been like that for a while. I finish games often enough, even today (but then I haven't played NWN2, Gothic 3, Mass Effect 2, etc.) The last 25% is often lacking in content and diversity, and the player appears overpowered. Then there's the problem of micromanagement in strategies.

I do often think that I'll return to a game some time later on to finish, but I almost never do. I have plenty of saves, but I never use them. When I do return to a game, I generally start it anew.

Destroid

Arcane
IT's funny, I still have not finished Deus Ex, haven't played it for a month or so. When I do actually load the game up I can easily play for 2 hours straight, but actually loading it up to play seems to be the hard part.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Here's an advice: Stop torrenting all the godawful AAA shit that keeps coming out every 10 minutes and focus on two (three at max) more or less quality games.

Achilles

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Here's an advice: Stop torrenting all the godawful AAA shit that keeps coming out every 10 minutes and focus on two (three at max) more or less quality games.

Listen to this man. :salute:

Bruticis

I too used to get everything that came out...I was addicting to acquiring everything but never wanted to really play any of them. Now that I've given that up, I can focus on just one or two games at time. My problem with starting something up then coming back to it a few months later is that I forget what's going in the story or what I should be doing, etc..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom