Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Tri-Ace bought by Nepro Japan and will only develop mobile games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I first saw the news
original.gif

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, tri-ace hasn't been on my radar for a long time. They used to do awesome shit (Star Ocean 2 is probably one of the most impressive games on the PSX) but the first Valkyrie Profile was the last thing they made that actually impressed me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Resonance of fate has fucking great gameplay. While Star Ocean 4 is a steaming pile of crap in many areas, gameplay was not one of them.

Ayreos

Augur
After The Last Hope they got what they deserved! Finally, the garbage they now produce can be directly published on and relegated to the inescapable Void of bathroom players.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, tri-ace hasn't been on my radar for a long time. They used to do awesome shit (Star Ocean 2 is probably one of the most impressive games on the PSX) but the first Valkyrie Profile was the last thing they made that actually impressed me.

Maybe I feel a little sad now.

I did like them during the PSX era a lot...

Star Ocean 3 ruined them in so many ways.

Damned Registrations

I was really excited when SO3 came out. Playing it was a huge dissapointment, I barely got anywhere before putting it down. The pacing was awful, the characters were dumb, the combat was too slow to be ignored and not skillful enough to be interesting. Never even looked at SO4 as a result.

Archibald

Arcane
While their later output has been sharp decline these fuckers still made Valkyrie Profile, sad news. I hope we won't see Valkyrie Profile: Hrist as some card game on mobile :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Valkyrie profile shoehorned a idiotic romance into the plot and that triggered me out of considering it a good game.

Athelas

Arcane
Damn, Japanese developers are really going down the shitter. That being said...

Ayreos

Augur
the combat was too slow to be ignored and not skillful enough to be interesting. Never even looked at SO4 as a result.

SO2 Breathtaking fast-paced combat.

SO3 "...too slow to be ignored and not skillful enough to be interesting" combat.

It's a joke, both combat systems are unadulterated pure spam at higher levels. To me SO3's was in fact a direct improvement of the previous combat systems, with useful blocking and counter mechanics. Its story also delivered one of the best twists in jRPG history. Even if you don't agree with that SO3 was at the very least a polished game, unlike the train-wreck of a sequel.[/MEDIA][/spoiler]

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
I haven't played SO3 so I have no horse here, but I think its kinda suspicious that SO2 video is against random mobs that are way lower level than player (doing 0 damage) while SO3 video is a fight against, if I'm not mistaken, secret boss.

Ayreos

Augur
I haven't played SO3 so I have no horse here, but I think its kinda suspicious that SO2 video is against random mobs that are way lower level than player (doing 0 damage) while SO3 video is a fight against, if I'm not mistaken, secret boss.

Of course, that's why i said that it's a joke, and that both systems are actually equally intense at high levels!

Edit: Frankly, i would go as far as saying they're virtually the same system, with SO3 being perhaps slightly faster at low levels, and the game difficulty higher, on average. I certainly died more in SO3 than SO2, at least.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Valkyrie profile shoehorned a idiotic romance into the plot and that triggered me out of considering it a good game.
Actually reading that several times i have even never considered playing the game.

I really enjoyed Resonance of fate. SO3 and SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery were good enough for me to reach the end of the games, but nothing memorable.

I briefly tried Radiata stories and will maybe return to it someday.

Considering all this, these news are not the saddest ever, but there are still sad news.

Damned Registrations

I don't know much about SO2's plot, but iirc the big twist is
it's a vieo game!
which is a pretty shitty twist compared to SO2 actually destroying an entire planet populated by people.

And even on normal, combat got difficult/interesting fairly quick in SO2. The lacour tournament is pretty nasty, as are a number of boss battles or even random encounters on the first disk. I literally can't remember anything about SO3 combat- what the characters did, what the enemies were, nothing. I didn't play far (up until some sort of cave with I think a hydra monster or something I was sent to fight or get past or something?) but it took a while to get even that far and the only thing I recall is trying to get the chain thing (because there's nothing else to do while fighting) and failing because it breaks basically any time you get hit, which is impossible to avoid. Maybe there was a good game in there somewhere but I don't have the patience for that shit these days, when I've got a pile of unplayed games that grab my interest right off the bat.

Ayreos

Augur
Amazingly, i could say almost the exact same thing about SO2! Not only was that tournament easy, but if i remember correctly it used the trite "unwinnable final tournament fight" trope! Well, of course tastes be tastes.

I still don't understand how blowing up a planet is a more meaningful event than
realizing that all your reality, with everyone living in it, the entire universe, is actually a virtual reality simulation created by a population from another dimension, to which even thermodynamic laws do not apply in the same way! It's something like the difference between finding out someone nuked a foreign capital and that you, in fact, aren't actually real... Personally, the latter would freak me out much more! Let alone make me think more...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom