Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tribes Vengeace

Adipose Rex

Barely Literate
Interested in maybe playing Tribes (first time playing a tribes game) and was wondering if Tribes: is any good, or would be for a first time.

Seems kind of old, but is it fun, does it hold up? I hear good things about it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's good.

It just failed to sell because it came out the same season HL2, Doom 3 and Chronicles of Riddick came out.

So it sold about 7000 copies or so and was a massive failure.

But it's a game by the pre-decline Irrational so that should mean something.

Destroid

Arcane
All the Tribes games are great, but I still hold Tribes 1 dearest to me heart. There are still a few T2 and T1 servers kicking around so you can try all three.

Posted this Tribes video before, but I gladly post it again.

baronjohn

Cipher
Is that the one with the U2 engine and single player?

If so, no, it's shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't mind baronjohn.

When some game (100% of them) doesn't launch in his web browser it's automatically shit

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Destroid said:
All the Tribes games are great, but I still hold Tribes 1 dearest to me heart. There are still a few T2 and T1 servers kicking around so you can try all three.

Posted this Tribes video before, but I gladly post it again.
This, and what Skyway said. It's good, not as good as the first game, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
It is to be noted that this is the only game in the series with a singleplayer mode, other than training. So even if most of the servers is down it can be played alone. But it is build for multiplayer, and most fun is to be had with others.

Adipose Rex

Barely Literate
Thanks all for prompt thoughts and video. Agreed on pre-bioshock irrational not being decline, but have only played SS2. Will take a look at original Tribes and Vengeance (SP is a little more my style), and post thoughts here if I think of anything deserving.

If anything occurs to anyone in next few hours (while dls) feel free to post.

MetalCraze

Arcane
First two Tribes are not SP friendly. But Tribes 2 has a great multiplayer gameplay - and one or two active servers unlike the rest of the trilogy.

Esquilax

Arcane
Just echoing what others have said here - Tribes is great. One of my favourite FPS games in fact. Multiplayer is fast and furious. Not even Bethesda could fuck up a concept as cool as rocket-launching jet pack flying Capture The Flag. Very highly recommended.

TripJack

Hedonist
I never liked vengeance but the cd key check got removed recently so there might actually be some people playing now.

I play Tribes 2 (google tribes next) every now and then and it's still good fun. I have no idea how many people still play tribes 1 though the last I heard there are a couple active servers just like in Tribes 2.

Destroid

Arcane
Let us know what you think of them once you have a play, also bear in mind that the skill ceiling is extremely high in these games, so it will take a bit of play before you can accomplish much of anything.

For instance, in Tribes 1, people sometimes have difficulty actually getting out of the base, let alone learning how to ski effectively.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Destroid said:
For instance, in Tribes 1, people sometimes have difficulty actually getting out of the base, let alone learning how to ski effectively.

Protip: Jump before you engage jetpack and you'll go much higher faster

Pegultagol

Erudite
I played Tribes: Vengeance and it was a rather well made game. It did provide the kind of roaming gameplay that is the trademark of the series, but in a linear, confined manner. It was fun nonetheless and although I recall there were some exploits in multiplayer I came away from it having had a positive experience overall.

If you're not new to the series, Vengeance is a good starting point. Most core Tribes players would feel the gameplay rather shallow.

Deakul

Augur
Tribes Vengeance was a fucking disgrace to the series.
Though it told a fairly good story but that's all for naught when they go and royally fuck up the game's main selling point: THE FUCKING MULTIPLAYER

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Destroid said:
Let us know what you think of them once you have a play, also bear in mind that the skill ceiling is extremely high in these games, so it will take a bit of play before you can accomplish much of anything.

Yeah, skiing was implemented as a feature in Tribes 2, which pissed off the lot of people who were proud of their uBeR-1337ness in exploit-skiing in Tribes 1.

Destroid

Arcane
That was one of the good things about TV I thought, the skiing was implemented in an easy to use fashion, as opposed to having to mash the jump or run a ski-script.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom