Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal and Hexen

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I wanted to post certain specific, relevant screenshot I posted here before but DU has borked the search.
THANK FUCKING GOD FOR THAT

Almost enough to make me a beliver again.

Or maybe just donate to DU on the condition that Search stay disabled for you ;)

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
I wanted to post certain specific, relevant screenshot I posted here before but DU has borked the search.
THANK FUCKING GOD FOR THAT

Almost enough to make me a beliver again.

Or maybe just donate to DU on the condition that Search stay disabled for you ;)
Oh, wait:
gormk.jpg

Here it is.
:smug:

Another reason for not playing it is that it's devoid of Unreal's atmosphere and so linear* that even the derp-skaarj were not amused:
lighting5Cap2.jpg

*) Makes Half-Life 2 look like Daggerfall and no, I'm not joking.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Here it is.
Phew. Just this one? I thought for a second you might put that PA-wearing woman-thing. The one that almost borked my brain. This one's tame by comparison.

*quickly adds DraQ to Ignore before he wises up*

That... sad expression on the Skaarj's face always cracks me up. Not even sadness - pure utter despair. Like he's performing suicide by cop while crying "What have you done to me Legend? :( "

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Here it is.
Phew. Just this one? I thought for a second you might put that PA-wearing woman-thing. The one that almost borked my brain. This one's tame by comparison.
Pfff. I honestly expected you'd last at least till spidergun.

*quickly adds DraQ to Ignore before he wises up*
:bigno:

That... sad expression on the Skaarj's face always cracks me up. Not even sadness - pure utter despair. Like he's performing suicide by cop while crying "What have you done to me Legend? :( "
That's not a laughing matter - what would *YOU* do if Legend fucked you so?

Proud Skaarj race didn't deserve this. No one does.

Angthoron

Arcane
There's something mesmerizing about the whole design of those things.

And what's with their crotch? Yeah, the naked Skaarj, I'm talking to you, what's with your crotch? Why do you have a bulge there yet are as devoid of genitalia as a Ken toy? And since you have a pronounced ribcage now, where are the nipple rings? What's with the neanderthal jaw? What's with the tribal tattoo? They're lame even on Earth, wtf bro, I thought you guys were cool.

Fuck you Legend.

Irritatingly enough, Epic then extended some of this retarded design (enormous chest, bulky armour) on to the Skaarj in the UT series.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This discussion about Unreal 2 is depressing. I criticized Unreal for having poor gameplay and often meandering level design. Yet, compared to Unreal 2, it was a flawless masterpiece. And YET still, the latter isn't actually all that bad compared to most modern FPS. I mean, the fuck.

Angthoron

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
And YET still, the latter isn't actually all that bad compared to most modern FPS. I mean, the fuck.

Yeah, this is unfortunately all too true.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DraQ said:
Jaesun said:
Deakul said:
I wasn't aware that this was 4chan.

▲
▲ ▲

On topic:

Was I reading correctly that Legend did Unreal 2, instead of Epic?
Yes. Legend also did RtNP and although it's decent enough the signs of decline were shining through already.

Yeah. It's interesting in that I was playing the expansion, and I did really like some things but it just "seemed" different. And now I know. It's still better stuff than the modern FPS studios shit out these days (level design wise).

DraQ

Arcane
Jaesun said:
DraQ said:
Jaesun said:
Deakul said:
I wasn't aware that this was 4chan.

▲
▲ ▲

On topic:

Was I reading correctly that Legend did Unreal 2, instead of Epic?
Yes. Legend also did RtNP and although it's decent enough the signs of decline were shining through already.

Yeah. It's interesting in that I was playing the expansion, and I did really like some things but it just "seemed" different. And now I know. It's still better stuff than the modern FPS studios shit out these days (level design wise).
Some levels are recycled outtakes by Epic, and in general it isn't bad. Still, there are user created packs that are infinitely superior to RtNP and as atmospheric as the original was.
You will need UT'99 for many of them, though, as it became preferred modding platform due to its backward compatibility, more versatile tools, more features and the fact it retains SP code already, which can be easily enabled (and expanded upon) using OldSkool mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom