Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Videos of the "new" stuff in NWN2 1.07.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I never downloaded these vids but I've got a patch.

So there are only two modes for camera now:
strategic and character

In strategic mode you control your characters like in a Baldurs Gate game. The only difference is that you can't move your camera far from selected character. There's also an option to rotate camera while holding left mouse button.

In character mode controlling your character is pretty much kotorish but still not very comfortable. Your camera now strafes when pressing A or D and rotates when pressing Q or E. However I found annoying that you must hold W for a long time to put your camera straight. For example if camera is placed on the right side of the character when you will press A your character will strafe forward. That is uncomfortable. However I think there's a customization in the menu for this.

That's all

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
skyway said:
I never downloaded these vids but I've got a patch.

So there are only two modes for camera now:
strategic and character

In strategic mode you control your characters like in a Baldurs Gate game. The only difference is that you can't move your camera far from selected character. There's also an option to rotate camera while holding left mouse button.

In character mode controlling your character is pretty much kotorish but still not very comfortable. Your camera now strafes when pressing A or D and rotates when pressing Q or E. However I found annoying that you must hold W for a long time to put your camera straight. For example if camera is placed on the right side of the character when you will press A your character will strafe forward. That is uncomfortable. However I think there's a customization in the menu for this.

That's all

You can switch to complete Free Camera by going to Game Options->Strategy Mode and setting Camera Focus to 'Can be Moved Freely (Free Camera)'. The new default, which you are seeing, is 'Close to Controlled Character', also known as 'Tethered Mode'.

Hope that helps,
Anthony Davis
Obsidian Entertainment

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
With 1.06, I had to free up about 10 GB on the drive the game was installed on to install the patch. (No, not the drive with "My Documents", contrary to what some people say.) I hope it'll be different this time.
Well, I hope they'll release the patch for the Polish version at all.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
I'm just glad to see they are putting so many game improvements into a patch and not forcing us to by the expansion to get a better experience. However, the things I have heard about MotB sound promising, and I may end up getting it if I get through the original campaign.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You can switch to complete Free Camera by going to Game Options->Strategy Mode and setting Camera Focus to 'Can be Moved Freely (Free Camera)'. The new default, which you are seeing, is 'Close to Controlled Character', also known as 'Tethered Mode'.

Actually I was speaking about this option. It really modifies the camera distance from character, but it still restricts it.
Also it would be nice to have an option like 'rotate camera using right mouse button'. As in most RTS games.

ixg

Erudite
I downloaded one, of the videos, but it, won't play in WMP11, or Winamp or MPC so, WTF aweigh, WTF? Also I have FFDShow , B)

JoeDirt

Scholar
skyway, nwn2 will never have camera rotation fixed to RMB because of the context menu. almost no one ever uses the context menu for anything but for whatever reason it's considered "untouchable", so RMB will always = context menu. in the Obsidian forums there was a chap that made a mod way back when that re-maps camera rotation from the middle-mouse button to the RMB, and relegated the context menu to a different key. (i think it swapped it with MMB, but can't remember for sure.)

anyway, in strategy mode you have 2 distinct possibilities: tethered camera which is basically like a souped-up chase cam from previous game versions. you have an overhead view, (obviously), and as you click on the ground to move ur hero the camera stays locked onto his body and moves smoothly along with him.

alternatively, you can go into the strategy mode options and "un-thether" the camera which gives you a complete IE look and feel, with the (by default, though remappable) arrow keys controlling the lateral and cardinal movement of the camera, exactly like in IE games. the only problem so far is that the camera won't leave the currently selected hero offscreen, thus preventing you from using it to "scout ahead" the maps, since there's no fog of war. I believe this was intentional.

as for character mode, it's basically the same old driving camera from previous game versions except that now you have a few more options available in the options menu, like "keep ceilings always on" which makes romping through dungeons more kotor-ish, since the 3d camera won't "break through" ceilings and/or walls. as things stand right now though, cramped crpypts, of which there are a lot of in the OC, make for a lot of times when the camera gets closed in on itself by the walls/ceiling making you stare at your characters back which suddenly takes up half the screen. aside from that little annoyance, character/driving mode is still my preferred way to move about the game world. (the annoyance i talk about is remedied by disabling ceilings in the options menu, but that distracts even more. i don't like to see disappearing world objects, for much the same reason i always disable object fade.)

all in all, while neither of the 2 camera modes in nwn2 is "perfect" by any means this is as good as things are gonna get and i think this is just fine. there is no reasonable complaints that could be made for either mode, except for a few annoyances here and there, but all games with a 3d camera have them. playing through the game in character mode and hitting a key to change to strategy mode on the fly for big set-pieces is smooth and pretty much instantaneous and it's made me wanna replay parts of the OC again in anticipation of the expansion pack.

and for god's sake ppl, download and use tony k's monster/companion A.I. mod! it make the fights much tougher and logical, and thus the game is more enjoyable. it really ramps up your companion's decision making ability as well. as for the videos not playing... what can i say, download a codec pack. i use k-lite Mega Codec pack, version something or other. it comes already with media player classic and it's never failed to show me a video before.

P.S. i almost forgot to adress something; skyway: when you mention that in character mode the camera takes too long to swivel appropriately when you're facing sideways and move forward is the options called Camera Lag in the options menu. it determines the speed with which the camera will swivel left and right. I like to leave it to about 25% of the slider, so that it's not instantaneous... which disorients me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
skyway, nwn2 will never have camera rotation fixed to RMB because of the context menu. almost no one ever uses the context menu for anything but for whatever reason it's considered "untouchable", so RMB will always = context menu.

it's possible. for example
when you hold RMB and rotate camera context menu won't be shown
however if you only click[/b] then context menu will be shown after the second or so from the click. Apparently in nwn2 as it is it takes the same amount of time to show it.

and for god's sake ppl, download and use tony k's monster/companion A.I. mod!

If I'm correct it is now officially included in the nwn2 1.06 patch.

JoeDirt

Scholar
skyway: while certain improvements were made to the a.i. in patch 1.05, 1.06 and 1.07, tony k's mod is still superior as he is constantly updating it and improving it and adding finer granular control over your companions a.i. the difference between the regular game a.i. and the mod a.i. is immediate and so is the level of control provided over your companions. (for example, you can dictate to a ranged character precisely what he's going to do if any enemy gets close, give him an order to fall back as soon as he doesn't have anything in meelee range and to whip out his ranged weaponry as soon as he detects it's safe to do so.)

obsidian will never implement the amount of behavioral changes tony k's made with his mod because it would make their official content too hard for the average player and they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. they have to make sure the game is winnable by everyone who plays it so that they don't feel cheated, or that their particular character build is worthless. certain options in the A.I. mod would completely shatter this design philosophy such as the option to have enemies craft their own equipment, have them buff themselves in anticipation of your coming or have them BASH DOWN DOORS looking for you so you can't close off sections of the dungeon while escaping them. another feature from the mod that will never be in the vanilla game is the use of knockdown by your enemies since it is currently "broken" the enemies don't use it on you. you can make them use it on you with the mod and it is hellish to see in action since you'll suddenly see orcs knocking down your wizards as they try to let off a spell and then gang-rape him as he tries to get up and draws a ton of AoO's. it's awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom