Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
When she offered herself first time to my dogmatic character I looked at her hands and fingers and said "Get away from me you mutant."
Think of the backscratches.

Probably gonna die at first orgasm due to 3rd eye fully opening but "death by snu snu" I guess.

REhorror

Educated
The blessed Sister wins her trial and easily get back with a superb power armor!
awN6elf.jpg

Yy69ojJ.jpg

sC8Zs1D.jpg

I kneel, Argenta!

ArchAngel

Arcane
The blessed Sister wins her trial and easily get back with a superb power armor!
awN6elf.jpg

Yy69ojJ.jpg

sC8Zs1D.jpg

I kneel, Argenta!
Almost as good as mine. Mine has a one handed flamer and a sword in other slot and she starts combat with those so she can parry melee attacks if anyone tries. Also Flamer is pretty cool on lower versatility stacks with Flame talents I took.
When Burst fire is finally fixed using a Flamer or Melta as her main weapon is still going to be fun.

REhorror

Educated
awN6elf.jpg

Yy69ojJ.jpg

sC8Zs1D.jpg

I kneel, Argenta!
Almost as good as mine. Mine has a one handed flamer and a sword in other slot and she starts combat with those so she can parry melee attacks if anyone tries. Also Flamer is pretty cool on lower versatility stacks with Flame talents I took.
When Burst fire is finally fixed using a Flamer or Melta as her main weapon is still going to be fun.
My Argenta is a Retributor ('eavy Bolter Bitch) and I love her for it.
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Retributor

ArchAngel

Arcane
awN6elf.jpg

Yy69ojJ.jpg

sC8Zs1D.jpg

I kneel, Argenta!
My Argenta is a Retributor ('eavy Bolter Bitch) and I love her for it.
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Retributor
So is mine, I am talking about 2nd slot where you got a useless sniper.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3975056740187487053
Hotfix 1.0.98 is live!

Lord Captain!
By the will of our Tech Priests and with the Emperor’s blessing we deliver you with
Hotfix 1.0.98!

Check https://steamcommunity.com/app/2186680/discussions/0/4027970580228219058/ for up-to-date information on known issues and upcoming patches.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

Items
  • Resolved problems with adding items to inventory in Act 3;
  • Fixed a rare bug with the

dialogue window appeared after leveling up;

Sound and Music
  • Added sounds for moving packs of items in the loot window;

ChildInTime

Learned

I kneel, Argenta!
I'm a filthy heretic, so Argenta got murdered by yours truly and I never saw the conclusion of her storyline, but you don't even get to play the final part of her quest and visit that relic planet she talks about? She just does it off-screen?

ArchAngel

Arcane

I kneel, Argenta!
I'm a filthy heretic, so Argenta got murdered by yours truly and I never saw the conclusion of her storyline, but you don't even get to play the final part of her quest and visit that relic planet she talks about? She just does it off-screen?
You visit it and get a smaller battle and then she enters some ship wreck alone, you go back to your ship and she comes back after that with that armor.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It depends on the dialogue choices you pick.

If you make her feel too guilty she will not be allowed into the ship and you get nothing from the quest.

REhorror

Educated

I kneel, Argenta!
Yep, the blessed relic ship only accepts pilgrim, you cannot join her.

Reinhardt

Arcane
btw talking about servitors - having skull always flying ahead and announcing scourge of xenos has arrived felt nice.

REhorror

Educated
I just got Pascal's final quest and wtf, man? I feel I'm too brainlet for this stuff.

Need to read the whole thing again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just got Pascal's final quest and wtf, man? I feel I'm too brainlet for this stuff.

Yea there is a lot of reading there. I just kind of skimmed through it but I think I got the point of it .

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

You should take some brain boosters or something because that is one of the most interesting quests & resolution dialogs in the entire game. Pasqal IMHO was the most interesting NPC by a large margin. He is also fucking God tier in combat to the point where I thought he was bugged.

I thought Argenta was a bad ass until Pasqal came into his own and he is a game breaking face melting murder machine. 1000+ damage per shot is very normal and if you stack enough buffs he's into the 2K per shot range and its an area attack too which makes it even more absurd.

Pretty sure the Ancient Plasma Rifle I had Pasqal using is bugged. Once that is fixed (assuming it is fixed) his damage output will be considerably lower, at least for his area attacks. I also made him an assassin, which was probably a bad idea. Because he only has one weapon set and has both a melee and a ranged weapon in it, all his assassin abilities default to his melee weapon only. Bah. Anyway, since I finally finished the game, I wanted to give my impressions here. Overall, I quite liked the game, though it certainly has issues. Bugs galore, but bugs can (and most probably will be) fixed, so I am not too concerned about those.

But the character system they are using is just as clunky as it was in the beta. Too many levels to the point leveling up feels like a chore, too many traits with small percentage bonuses to stack and stack to absurdity. First level archetypes I feel are quite well developed, with all of them feeling good to play. Some officer shenanigans need to be rained in (suggestion: can't use heroics during bonus turns!), but other than that, it's fine. But then you get second level and it's just a mess. You got Arch-Militant becoming immortal killing machine in one or two turns on one side and a useless Vanguard on the other. All semblance of balance is out the window. By the time exemplar rolls in, I am not even sure what is going on in battles. My characters (and a certain Navigator in particular) keep getting extra turns I can't account for. My space-elf sniper can now snipe for thousands of damage. Why? Don't know and can't be bothered to decipher the combat log. Just roll with it.

The second issue that annoys me in particular are chapters 4 and 5. It can't be denied that those lack a certain something compared to the rest of the game. Like content. Or a coherent narrative. Chapter 4 at least I fell like it could be fixed somewhat. Instead of the inquisitor just being mysteriously too busy to see you until you finish the other quests, just have him invite you right away and order you to do those quests. And maybe some other stuff as well before the chapter climax. I have no idea how to fix chapter 5 though.

Basically, at the end of chapter 4 I find out the inquisitor is probably up to something. Wow, what a shock. The grass is green, the sky is blue and radical inquisitors are up to something radical. So, the game wants me to confront him and demand an explanation from him. Ok, I guess. But then he fucks off in an unknown direction and I have no choice but to threaten his butler he conveniently left behind with torture to find out where to. Huh? And then the game just decides that I am going to after him for some reason. And half the NPCs in the game suddenly show up to wish me a farewell on my suicide mission into the unknown to confront an inquisitor for being an inquisitor. And then I start blowing up his ships and killing his soldiers and acolytes, all to get to him. Why? Why am I doing this? If it is because what he is doing is something that will end up killing everyone, then the game does an awful job at presenting this. There needs to be a real reason for the whole sector to turn against him, like having him betray our forces in battle. Not just him taking some suspicious boxes, or his former acolyte saying he is a radical, or a vague suspicion he is working with xenos. That's tuesday for an inquisitor. As it is, only a heretical rogue trader would have a good enough reason to follow him - to kill him.

But all in all, I would still recommend the game to anyone that liked previous Owlcat games. Though you may wish to wait a bit for some of the kinks to be ironed out if your tolerance for bugs is lower than mine.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Pretty sure the Ancient Plasma Rifle I had Pasqal using is bugged. Once that is fixed (assuming it is fixed) his damage output will be considerably lower, at least for his area attacks. I also made him an assassin, which was probably a bad idea. Because he only has one weapon set and has both a melee and a ranged weapon in it, all his assassin abilities default to his melee weapon only. Bah. Anyway, since I finally finished the game, I wanted to give my impressions here. Overall, I quite liked the game, though it certainly has issues. Bugs galore, but bugs can (and most probably will be) fixed, so I am not too concerned about those.

But the character system they are using is just as clunky as it was in the beta. Too many levels to the point leveling up feels like a chore, too many traits with small percentage bonuses to stack and stack to absurdity. First level archetypes I feel are quite well developed, with all of them feeling good to play. Some officer shenanigans need to be rained in (suggestion: can't use heroics during bonus turns!), but other than that, it's fine. But then you get second level and it's just a mess. You got Arch-Militant becoming immortal killing machine in one or two turns on one side and a useless Vanguard on the other. All semblance of balance is out the window. By the time exemplar rolls in, I am not even sure what is going on in battles. My characters (and a certain Navigator in particular) keep getting extra turns I can't account for. My space-elf sniper can now snipe for thousands of damage. Why? Don't know and can't be bothered to decipher the combat log. Just roll with it.

The second issue that annoys me in particular are chapters 4 and 5. It can't be denied that those lack a certain something compared to the rest of the game. Like content. Or a coherent narrative. Chapter 4 at least I fell like it could be fixed somewhat. Instead of the inquisitor just being mysteriously too busy to see you until you finish the other quests, just have him invite you right away and order you to do those quests. And maybe some other stuff as well before the chapter climax. I have no idea how to fix chapter 5 though.

Basically, at the end of chapter 4 I find out the inquisitor is probably up to something. Wow, what a shock. The grass is green, the sky is blue and radical inquisitors are up to something radical. So, the game wants me to confront him and demand an explanation from him. Ok, I guess. But then he fucks off in an unknown direction and I have no choice but to threaten his butler he conveniently left behind with torture to find out where to. Huh? And then the game just decides that I am going to after him for some reason. And half the NPCs in the game suddenly show up to wish me a farewell on my suicide mission into the unknown to confront an inquisitor for being an inquisitor. And then I start blowing up his ships and killing his soldiers and acolytes, all to get to him. Why? Why am I doing this? If it is because what he is doing is something that will end up killing everyone, then the game does an awful job at presenting this. There needs to be a real reason for the whole sector to turn against him, like having him betray our forces in battle. Not just him taking some suspicious boxes, or his former acolyte saying he is a radical, or a vague suspicion he is working with xenos. That's tuesday for an inquisitor. As it is, only a heretical rogue trader would have a good enough reason to follow him - to kill him.

But all in all, I would still recommend the game to anyone that liked previous Owlcat games. Though you may wish to wait a bit for some of the kinks to be ironed out if your tolerance for bugs is lower than mine.

You nailed it. I just finished as well and you had your psychic hat on today because I feel very much in agreement with everything you wrote here. The RPG mechanics of the character & leveling system are hot garbage. It is funny because I heard people saying how much better this game was than the Pathfinder games because, "there is no buffing before combat".

LMAO! Buffing IS the combat in this game. It is one long session of just stacking buff on top of buff on top of buff. And unlike a D20 or more classic RPG system, it can all be done in a single character's turn.

This is why you have Cassia getting these seemingly endless turns, comically inflated damage numbers, and my psyker main character throwing around chain lightning and molten beam that could 1 shot anything that wasn't a boss. It is an opaque overly complex system. I'm all for complex systems but they should be intuitive and understandable not this arcane system of percentages of different stats & derived stats. I want to play a game not become a fucking statistician. (Grognards, math nerds, and number crunching autismos --> come at me bro!)

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated

You should take some brain boosters or something because that is one of the most interesting quests & resolution dialogs in the entire game. Pasqal IMHO was the most interesting NPC by a large margin. He is also fucking God tier in combat to the point where I thought he was bugged.

I thought Argenta was a bad ass until Pasqal came into his own and he is a game breaking face melting murder machine. 1000+ damage per shot is very normal and if you stack enough buffs he's into the 2K per shot range and its an area attack too which makes it even more absurd.
While Pascal is interesting, the way the quest is solved kinda lacks reactivity for me.

Like Pascal turns into something else and I want my bro back.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

While Pascal is interesting, the way the quest is solved kinda lacks reactivity for me.

That's what happens when you make friends with toasters servants of the Omnissiah.

REhorror

Educated

That's what happens when you make friends with toasters servants of the Omnissiah.
Well at least he's still loyalist, me think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom