Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We have far more power than we need or deserve

My second PC was the platform I've spent most of my gaming time on, it was exclusive for almost decade. It had Pentium 2000 MMX, 32 MB RAM and S3/Virge +Voodoo 2 / Rush combo. What was that computer capable of?
- Play ALL of PC games from the dawn of time till very early 2000, first games that was barely playable stared to appear in 2000 (Deus Ex, Daikatana). There are some exeption of old soft demanding specific, obscure hardware like PowerVR version of Resident Evil or Icehawk (Matrox card) but even without them, there were THOUSANDS of native PC titles.
- arcade: early MAME, Callus for full speed CPS1, NeoRageX for full speed Neo-Geo emulation and Winkawaks for choppy-yet-playable CPS2 emulation
- 8-bit computer - e.g. C64, ZX Spectrum (that alone had more than 10.000 games!)
- 8-bit consoles - NES, Gameboy, GBC, Master System
- 16-bit consoles - Megadrive, SNES (I was using up-to-date Snes9x builds, should have use ZNES for full speed)
- PSX - yes! you could play many of PSX game with decent performance or better hardware-accelerated graphical effect, had to try various games on VGS and Bleem!, played the hell out of Tekken 3 on the latter
- N64 - with Voodoo card, you can play choppy-yet-pretty versions of UltraHle compatible titles like Mario 64 or Goldeneye

Not to mention that it was a nice daily driver with ability to open jpeg, listening to mp3/WAV, watching movies...

My point is , if one can achive so much with P200 Mhz CPU, then every PC 2x, 5x, 10x etc. more powerfull than that give basically a limitless possibilies. It's hard for me to point any of gaming genre that cannot be ported on P2000, maybe big open 3d world like Morrowind or GTA3? I can play complex, fully textures 3d first and 3rd person shooters, early 3d and advanced 2d RTS, 3d and 2d fighting games, flight sims, 4x's, point'n'click adventure games... and yet, such ring would not be even considered top-notch 25 years ago.

Back than, by old games (at least here in Poland) we meant some very early 8-bit that was aeons before what we were playing tech wise. Now, from the perspective of 2024, titles from 20 years ago are:

Far Cry 1
Riddick
Doom 3
Painkiller
VtM: Bloodlines
Half-Life 2

Sorry, apart from artsyle itself, does these games seems outdated? Both in terms of gameplay and graphics? Hase there been any revolution since? Nope.

My ultimate point it that we are faaaar beyond point when technology limits devs. yet we are flooded with tons of derivative shit. I we capped hardware at some point and force devs to adjust, we would benefit from infinately better gaming quality. Arm race lost it's purpose years ago so... what's your proposal for power level cap?

I noticed that devs are loosing creativity at very similar technical level:

1. PC lost it as first since it reached certain level cap earliers of any platforms, what you need is powerful Pentium 3 / low end Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM (Windows 98SE doesn't support more and you don't need newer Windows than W98SE), Voodoo 5 / Geforce 2 or 3 / Radeon / Kyro II, something around that
2. Consoles - Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox
3. Handhelds - 3DS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom