Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games have a casual social community?

biffthestiff

Educated
I'm working abroad on a night shift and looking for games that have a social side to them to have some socialization. I've only ever played single-player games, except for Rocket League.

My ideal game:

1. Automatic always-on voice chat with small groups. I'd just like to be able to talk with whoever I'm linking up with in-game, without having to communicate with them outside the game. This is the primary thing I'm looking for tbh. (Rocket League is great but doesn't have voice chat and I don't want to type.)
2. Casual gameplay. I want to chill, not spend 1000 hours getting better at the game. It's something I'd only play an hour or two per night.
3. I don't want a reddit experience where you get banned for calling someone a f*g in the heat of the moment. I have no problem with "toxicity".
4. Short gameplay sessions. I can't commit to more than 30 minutes at a time (risk being called into meetings), so no mumorpegers.

Let's hear your recs.

biffthestiff

Educated
Based on your detailed description, I'd say you should stop pretending to be a gamer, and take up another hobby, for example, anal sex.

your request made so little sense that for once porky's answer did.

Put some effort in it, guys. If you don't help me, I could end up becoming a simp for some gamer girl streamer. Is that what you want? To create another simp? You could have saved me.

give me your wallet so you can't throw money at ethots.

seriously, that's an outlandish request, pretty much the opposite of everything available. it's not your fault, mala tempora currunt.

biffthestiff

Educated
Why is it the opposite of what's available? The one online game I know of, Rocket League, has automatic chat. Why wouldn't there be similar games with automatic voice chat?

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Hate to break it to you Biff, but they're all reddit experiences now with corporate stooges ready to take away your game if you dare to speak in away that someone's mom might find to be inappropriate.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're asking at the wrong place. You think the assholes here would be able to be a part of a casual social community?

deuxhero

Arcane
Advance Wars by Web? The "big" (biggest is 120,000 something subs and it's not his only focus) YouTube channels on it are all for teaching new players. Since it's turn based with no interrupts there's support for correspondence play where spending half an hour a day making your moves is an entirely legitimate playstyle (you can have multiple active matches, or play a blitz chess esque live game where you have minutes to make your move where the longest live games are about an hour long.). There is a lot to learn, but since it's 1v1 MMR is actually relevant and you won't be matched up with good players (unless someone is doing a gimmick alt). Social is kinda weak though. You can DM your opponent, but that's it.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm working abroad on a night shift and looking for games that have a social side to them to have some socialization. I've only ever played single-player games, except for Rocket League.

My ideal game:

1. Automatic always-on voice chat with small groups. I'd just like to be able to talk with whoever I'm linking up with in-game, without having to communicate with them outside the game. This is the primary thing I'm looking for tbh. (Rocket League is great but doesn't have voice chat and I don't want to type.)
2. Casual gameplay. I want to chill, not spend 1000 hours getting better at the game. It's something I'd only play an hour or two per night.
3. I don't want a reddit experience where you get banned for calling someone a f*g in the heat of the moment. I have no problem with "toxicity".
4. Short gameplay sessions. I can't commit to more than 30 minutes at a time (risk being called into meetings), so no mumorpegers.

Let's hear your recs.
Star Citizen

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm always tempted to investigate field of glory 2 multiplayer. It's the only game I've done across whose community has a good reputation.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Codex and Somethingawful video games forums are like playing the video game but not all the work and hassle and yet still get to bitch about them WITH OTHER PEOPLE <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom