Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your PvP genre/game of choice

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I want a good multiplayer third-person shooter. Since no such thing exists
Max Payne 3

radars that reveal you on the map
Generally they only reveal your position if you are spotted by an enemy or fire an unsilenced gun
Competitive shooters are about teamwork and map knowledge, in those games a radar mechanic is an essential tool for info gathering and orientation

perks and unlockable weapons
For casual shooters, perks can be a fun addition to shake up gameplay and progression systems a reward for good play (not to mention a clever way to retain players)

Nowadays my PvP sessions are mostly spent on Starcraft II ladder, with a little bit of Rocket League and Tekken 7. Used to play a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 versus but now it's almost dead. Easily the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played, I don't like those regular frag fests like arena shooters or CS. Max Payne 3 multiplayer was also really enjoyable for a while but that also looks dead now.

Should anyone want to join me for some team games in SC II or RL feel free to PM me about it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I want a good multiplayer third-person shooter. Since no such thing exists
Max Payne 3

radars that reveal you on the map
Generally they only reveal your position if you are spotted by an enemy or fire an unsilenced gun
Competitive shooters are about teamwork and map knowledge, in those games a radar mechanic is an essential tool for info gathering and orientation

perks and unlockable weapons
For casual shooters, perks can be a fun addition to shake up gameplay and progression systems a reward for good play (not to mention a clever way to retain players)
I still play Max Payne 3 online sometimes. Not a good multiplayer game. It came after Call of Duty 4, meaning it's fucked.

1. Since default servers are Soft Lock, the Free Aim servers are almost always empty. Meaning you will play against controller users who will auto-aim in an instant at your crotch and lower torso. There is no way to tell which game modes are populated, no server browser showing the active games and what types they are. You have to enter the game modes one by one, meaning that people will enter the same ones over and over again, Large Team Deathmatch, mostly.

2. The balancing is terrible. Almost everybody uses the same few guns with the health-recharging and defense-fortifying Big Dog perk, and there is an overabundance of bomb suits because of all the players spamming grenades and other explosives. Bomb suits that still let the players run lightly around with almost no encumbrance. Too many players pick girls because they have smaller hitboxes and the same stamina and hitpoints as the men.

3. Your name tag always appears over your character, making you are very visible from across the map whenever you come out behind objects. You appear as a dot on the enemy's radar all the time, unless I suppose you use the quiet running perk or whatever it's called and suppressors.

4. It is much too easy to kick players. Only requires 50 percent to vote.

I don't think perks and unlocks retain players. I think they scare new players away. But I have no way to prove it. Terrible idea. It's inherently unfair, which is not what you want in versus.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't think perks and unlocks retain players. I think they scare new players away.
CoD4 and MW2 literally proved the reverse
But plenty of games that tried to imitate it failed to retain players. Are dead or nearly dead. Not like Call of Duty 1 was quickly abandoned, right? I'm asking, because I never played it online. 4's popularity was partly because of the modern setting that hadn't been realized with production values like that before.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But plenty of games that tried to imitate it failed to retain players.
Sure
Plenty of games also tried to imitate Halo and failed miserably
Shitty copy paste jobs are bound to happen

4's popularity was partly because of the modern setting that hadn't been realized with production values like that before.
Yes the campgain was what initially attracted such massive attention
But it was the multiplayer that after release made a big splash and insured CoD's success
The stop and pop, reaction focused gameplay coupled with perks that subtly change the playable character's properties was well realised and made for an attractive alternative to Halo 3 back then
And the progression system was a fined tuned hamster wheel that fed rewards with impecable timing

Come MW2 and you have and even bigger, more spectacular (and controversial) campgain
And everything that made CoD4 multiplayer stand out was massively expanded - more guns, maps, modes, perks, cosmetics - all tied to the same highly addictive skinner box progression

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom