Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

Camel

Scholar
I agree with most except for this. While HK-47 was the most famous one, Canderous wasn't that interesing IMO and I remember several characters more, Bastila of course. I think Jolee was more interesting than Canderous and Carth was more memorable, but maybe not for good reasons. :D

Anyway, most memorable by the general public was clearly Bastila and HK-47.
Admittedly I was harsh to KotOR and I'm fond of Bastila. She's a well-written female character who's flawed and is nothing like modern woke Mary Sues. Jennifer Hale's voiceover elevates every character. I think Bastila and HK-47 were fan favourites after the release but with each passing year Bastila gets forgotten more and more. Carth's boring voice actor ruined him and ME1 Kaidan.

S5pX2Qw.png

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It was p. cool that you could have the wookie straight out murder Mission, his best friend, by strangling.

just

Liturgist
kotor1 is a pure star wars story for people to enjoy

kotor2 is basically this but 30h

muh deep characters and a lot of meaningless words for codex storyfags, so they can touch themselves and their mca pictures

Bastila, HK, Carth, Canderous and Jolee are all memorable. Juhani and Mission less so.
KYYD4cm.jpg
Memorable as in he's with you from go, is the best shootist and a lot of people find him annoying for some reason. I'm in the minority where I didn't mind the mistrustful conversations with him. I also quite like his voice actor, Raphael Sbarge, who played Scorch in Republic Commando.

I find Mission memorable, but she comes a tad later than Carth, is far less useful in combat and is not married to the plot quite as deeply as Carth is with Saul. Her character quest could also have been a lot cooler if her personality properly changed after dealing with her brother. Either becoming more forgiving or jaded depending on your choice, but sadly there wasn't that much reactivity built into it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bastila, HK, Carth, Canderous and Jolee are all memorable. Juhani and Mission less so.
KYYD4cm.jpg
Memorable as in he's with you from go, is the best shootist and a lot of people find him annoying for some reason. I'm in the minority where I didn't mind the mistrustful conversations with him. I also quite like his voice actor, Raphael Sbarge, who played Scorch in Republic Commando.

I find Mission memorable, but she comes a tad later than Carth, is far less useful in combat and is not married to the plot quite as deeply as Carth is with Saul. Her character quest could also have been a lot cooler if her personality properly changed after dealing with her brother. Either becoming more forgiving or jaded depending on your choice, but sadly there wasn't that much reactivity built into it.
She is outgunned by the other companions.
Her sneak attack, while powerful, has to be set up in advance and cannot be used all the time.
The lack of feats also hurts.

Camel

Scholar

I find Mission memorable, but she comes a tad later than Carth, is far less useful in combat and is not married to the plot quite as deeply as Carth is with Saul.
Both Carth and Mission don't leave the ship because shooters suck donkey balls in KotOR. The Dark Jedi wipe the floor with any ranged character in the party unless you make Canderous a melee fighter. When I slaughtered my entire LS party with Zaalbar in my evil playthrough, the last mission on the Star Forge was a nightmare with Canderous and HK-47 as shooters. KotOR 2 somewhat rectified the ranged characters weakness against the Jedi.
Sbarge's boring and uninterested delivery irks me. Carth had more content when romanced by the evil female protagonist - he comes back to the Star Forge and tries to turn her back to the Light Side in vain and is killed.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I find Mission memorable, but she comes a tad later than Carth, is far less useful in combat and is not married to the plot quite as deeply as Carth is with Saul.
Both Carth and Mission don't leave the ship because shooters suck donkey balls in KotOR. The Dark Jedi wipe the floor with any ranged character in the party unless you make Canderous a melee fighter. When I slaughtered my entire LS party with Zaalbar in my evil playthrough, the last mission on the Star Forge was a nightmare with Canderous as a shooter. KotOR 2 somewhat rectified the ranged characters weakness against the Jedi.
Sbarge's boring and uninterested delivery irks me.
Canderous is best as a melee beatstick.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
the last mission on the Star Forge was a nightmare with Canderous as a shooter
Eh? I remember it being maybe annoying at times, but never truly horribad. And I usually run it with Canderous and HK ranged support.
Just need the proper blasters and Master Rapid Shot spam.
The Baragwin Heavy Repeater is the best ranged weapon (but only available with the expansion which adds the Yavin Station).
Disruptor-X Rifle is also good (again, only available with Yavin expansion).

Camel

Scholar
Eh? I remember it being maybe annoying at times, but never truly horribad. And I usually run it with Canderous and HK ranged support.
I don't remember a difficulty level(not lower than normal) but I did struggle with them as shooters cause the Dark Jedi deflected almost all laser shots with lightsabers.

baturinsky

Arcane
I love KOTOR2 a lot. In fact, replaying it now. KOTOR1 - not as much.
Loving Mira especially, not even sure why. Want a game with her as the protag.

Both Carth and Mission don't leave the ship because shooters suck donkey balls in KotOR. The Dark Jedi wipe the floor with any ranged character in the party unless you make Canderous a melee fighter. When I slaughtered my entire LS party with Zaalbar in my evil playthrough, the last mission on the Star Forge was a nightmare with Canderous and HK-47 as shooters. KotOR 2 somewhat rectified the ranged characters weakness against the Jedi.
Sbarge's boring and uninterested delivery irks me. Carth had more content when romanced by the evil female protagonist - he comes back to the Star Forge and tries to turn her back to the Light Side in vain and is killed.
I play most often as a guardian so I never have issues taking a ranged character even on the Star Forge. You just jump from enemy to enemy tanking while the gunmen do their thing. Carth in particular with two Mandalorian Heavy Pistols is one of the best damage dealers in the game. Canderous is slightly worse because it takes much longer to get a Baragwin Heavy Repeater. I never spec any of them melee, it's unnecessary.

HK-47 uses the wrong feat table by default, his and T3s are mixed up which needs to be corrected with a mod. However droids are strictly worse in all cases because Force Heal doesn't work on them.

(again, only available with Yavin expansion).
If you're playing on PC it's installed by default in both digital versions, Steam and GOG.
With the retail version it's included in official patch 1.3. The menu's auto-update is probably kaput by now, but there's still plenty of mirrors online. The OG XBOX version required you to get it from XBOX Live before it went down.

agris

Arcane
Patron
and their mca pictures
i may be misremembering the amount, but i believe MCA said he read all the sw expanded universe novels in prep for kotor 2.

can you imagine how fucking horrible that must have been? he was a full grown adult man, not a child. it would have killed lesser men, or at least caused them to pray for sweet release through early onset dementia or its like

surely he sacrificed for our sins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom