Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is everything so tiny in newer Spiderweb games?

Repressed Homosexual
This is so obnoxious, I would love to start Geneforge 4 after having completed the first three ones, and have a try at Avadon later... but everything is just so tiny and samey. It's hard to really see the scenery well, or at least very uncomfortable.

I've seen tons of people complain about it. This new engine is really bad. Couldn't Vogel, I don't know, zoom in a bit more? It's to the point where I'm probably going to use a lower resolution and upscale it.

I'm puzzled by this decision. Or perhaps it is because otherwise, some of the pixel art he has used for 12-13 years would look too indistinct...

Then again, remember the boat in Geneforge 1-2-3? I've never seen anything so ridiculous.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
EDIT: on second thought, their screenshot section suggests that Vogel either

a) made everything smaller
b) weirdly scales his screenshots

Nim

Augur
4 doesn't have higher resolutions though, so not sure what the prob is ? And the engine in 4 is actually pretty good regarding everything else, so give it a try HRR. Better AP and encumbrance system alone make a world of difference.

Nim

Augur
How far in ? Dhonal ? Gull ? No you won't miss much, there is a reason 3 is universally panned as the worst Geneforge game.
G1->G4->G2-->G5->G3 for me

Pope Amole

Educated
Before making questions here, first you need to give an answer - which side you are on? Rebels or shapers?

Nim

Augur
Isle of Spears for loyalists is pure combat :D Nothing you will miss. Gull is a bit better but not much.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Better AP and encumbrance system alone make a world of difference.
Wasnt encumbrance changed in like, 2nd one ? And what does "better AP" means ? If you mean the way he changed the system so that you only need 1AP for an action - that was the dumbest move ever, annihilating the already tiny tactical part of the game. Now there isnt any point in moving any of your characters, all you can do is just stand there and trade hits. Duuuumb.

This new engine is really bad. Couldn't Vogel, I don't know, zoom in a bit more?
He could, but he wont. And i'd really rather he didnt. You know why ? The fucking centering that you cant turn off. I just finished playing G5, and THE FUCKING SCREEN CENTERS ALL THE TIME, especially at moments when i DONT WANT IT TO. If it was more zoomed in - there would be even more centering, and i might fucking bash someone's head in. Vogel's preferrably, but whoever is nearby will have to do.
Geneforge is generally is a godawful game except for that whole "choose your faction" aspect. Horrible interface, horrible combat...i dont mind that he reuses graphics, but he fucking reuses dialogues and entire pages worth of exposition and narration from the very first game ! Avernum series was his best in terms of pure gameplay, and he probably wont ever rise that high again. Except for the remake, of course.

Nim

Augur
Lightknight said:
Wasnt encumbrance changed in like, 2nd one ?.
3 had a new inventory but items in it still counted towards encumbrance. Since 4 only worn items count.
And what does "better AP" means ? If you mean the way he changed the system so that you only need 1AP for an action - that was the dumbest move ever, annihilating the already tiny tactical part of the game. Now there isnt any point in moving any of your characters, all you can do is just stand there and trade hits. Duuuumb
tactical part of his games :lol: Where in Geneforge was there ever something tactical ? It's an absolute barebones combat system so I'd rather have a less annoying AP system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom