Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake by Digital Eclipse - now available on Early Access - coming May 23rd

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.digitaleclipse.com/games/wizardry

https://af.gog.com/en/game/wizardry_proving_grounds_of_the_mad_overlord?as=1649904300

Look what they got in GOG now

that's great, right?
52377e0c6e31dd9f98f927433ae31da4b4cb7ed04d0aa608977e12051ab1ff5f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh…… :?

Hmmmm……. https://www.gog.com/en/games?developers=digital-eclipse

$30 for the first wizardry? Not even the trilogy? It is interesting but I have a feeling they’ll milk it for even more $$$. Say $20 for 2 and $20 for 3?

My interest is there because I like to see what companies do with older games. The price doesn’t thrill me since I’ve played and beat the game before on a few platforms.

(Shrug)

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
Wait, what? Where did this come from? Who is this developer? This is the most out-of-left-field launch I've seen in years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Big FAQ: https://www.digitaleclipse.com/media/wizardry-faq

WIZARDRY: PROVING GROUNDS OF THE MAD OVERLORD FAQ & INFO​

Here's everything you need to know about our first early access game. We'll update this page with fresh information!

Today the studio is thrilled to announce the availability of Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord -- a 3D re-imagining of the classic dungeon-crawler that launched the immortal Wizardry series of role-playing games. This is Digital Eclipse's first early-access game, and that bold step comes with a lot of questions, for both us and our players. Hopefully this FAQ will address most concerns, but by all means, let us know what other questions you might have -- we will answer them as best we can!
What is Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was one of the first computer role-playing games. Released in 1981 for the Apple II, it set a standard for the RPG genre, inspiring many other dungeon-crawlers in the decades that followed. The 2023 edition is an all-new remake by Digital Eclipse, running in the Unreal Engine, but based on the original Apple II code.

6503545198a32f968d641a86_wizardry_compare_slime_large.jpg

The code of the Apple II original remains at the heart of our remake of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

Why revisit this game?
While the first game's innovations were huge, those pioneering steps did take place more than 40 years ago. As a result, the first game in the Wizardry series has many barriers to entry. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is Digital Eclipse's attempt to preserve the original gameplay (and the original difficulty) but present it with the rich graphics, streamlined controls, and other modern features that today's RPG players have come to expect. It's intended as both a restoration and a reimagining of the original Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, one that is built for modern gaming hardware and lets players experience a true classic in the most comfortable way possible.

Where can I get the game?
The Early Access version of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is downloadable at Good Old Games and Steam.

Why is this being released via Early Access?
After two years in development, we're ready to share what we're working on with the community. We know there are devoted fans of this franchise worldwide, and it means something different to each of them. We want feedback from as many players as we can get, so we can incorporate as many improvements as possible before we bring this ambitious project to completion.
How much of the game will be functional during Early Access?
The entire core game is playable, though there will likely be some bugs. Additionally, some visual elements are not 100 percent complete. The team is still working on additional environment and object textures, audio elements, and character animations; some existing elements will be replaced or upgraded during development. Incomplete assets are marked with a special "yellow tools" icon to let you know they are still in active development.

650361885e3dad11d5d4bf4e_wipninja_web.jpg

The yellow tools icon to the left the enemy title indicates that this character is still a work in progress.

Some elements may change or stop working during the development process. Save games, for instance, are something that could break between major updates, although we will make every effort to avoid this. During Early Access, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord should be considered an early build that you can play before it's done, so you should expect and prepare for some inconveniences associated with a work in progress. If you would prefer not to encounter those elements, you may be more comfortable wishlisting the title and waiting until work is completed.
Will the price go up later?
Yes. As the team adds more content to the project, the price will increase. Anyone who has already bought the game during Early Access will receive that additional content at no additional fee; it will simply arrive in title updates and will not be packaged as optional downloadable content.
How long will the Early Access period last? What is the target ship date?
Based on current scope and resources, the dev team anticipates that Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord will be content-complete and leave Early Access before the end of 2024. However, this is far from a guaranteed commitment, as there are often unforeseen factors and various surprises that might lengthen the development process. As we navigate changes and obstacles, we will keep the community informed.

65036232272cdb51ef138fab_slimes_web.jpg

Enemy animations will be added throughout development.

How frequently will the game be updated?
The team expects to add content to Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord about every two months until it is considered complete and officially ready to launch. Depending on the scope, some updates may take longer than two months to implement. You'll find the latest information on our development roadmap here.
What content is being added after Early Access?
In addition to replacing work-in-progress assets with updated ones, we plan to update other in-game graphical and audio elements. We will also explore adding text localization, a guide to in-game enemies, and other features we believe will benefit players.

How will you be incorporating player feedback and community suggestions?
Discussion forums at GOG and Steam make the most sense for us as a central hub for communication. Our players are already there, so we'd like to meet you where you play. Bug reports will be very much appreciated, with as much detail as you feel motivated to provide — we want to squash as many as we can, with your help. We will also try to incorporate any player suggestions for features and improvements, as long as they can be implemented within the scope and resources of the project. In other words, we're all ears for your hopes and dreams, but we'll need to see what's feasible, so let's keep talking.

Which games will be represented in this project?
The core experience is the original Wizardry game, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

650365dde64d3b7e9b886e6d_wizardry-pgmo_earlyaccess_005.jpg

Players can run the game with the original Apple II interface as an overlay if they choose.
Which PC operating systems are supported?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is intended to run under Windows and Steam OS.
Will this be certified to run on Steam Deck?
It's definitely a goal, but this is still to be determined. We know a lot of players would appreciate Steam Deck certification, but we may not be able to make this happen right away, due to the nature of this particular game. We'll keep you posted.

Which localized languages will be supported?
At the beginning of Early Access, only English will be supported, but we are hoping to add additional languages over the course of development.
Will there be a console release as well?
We don't have a definitive answer at this time, but we would not seriously discuss the possibility of a console release until the game is feature-complete and leaves Early Access.
Is this part of the Gold Master Series?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is not currently part of the Gold Master Series, which is Digital Eclipse's line of interactive documentaries. Whereas GMS titles focus on giving historical context to classic games, our main goal with Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is to make the best updated version of this game possible. That said, we're always open to your feedback about which games and stories you'd like to see explored through the Gold Masters Series, so we can try to allocate resources accordingly.

As this project progresses, we'll update this FAQ with the latest information, so please check this page later for more updates. Thank you for your support!

https://www.digitaleclipse.com/media/wizardry-oct-roadmap

WIZARDRY: ROADMAP TO OCTOBER​

Here are our plans for Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord over the next month or so.

Greetings, adventurers! We hope you enjoy your first experiences with our modern reworking of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. This is an early access title and we're hoping a lot of your questions are answered in the FAQ. That said, we wanted to discuss what we have planned for the first content update, which is tentatively slated for an October 2023 release.

Mouse Support
We know PC players often prefer mouse controls when playing RPGs, and while we prioritized controller support during early development (in part because it was more straightforward to assign Apple II keyboard input to modern controller buttons), we haven't forgotten tradition. We're working on mouse input at the moment.

Additional Character Portraits
The Training Grounds feature many varied human character portraits at the moment, but more fantastical races are on their way. Look for additional portraits in the next update.

6503669b6e5f24404f7446d0_characterportraits.jpg

Human character portraits are available during our first phase; watch for portraits of other races in the next update.

Identification System & Bestiary

During combat in the original Wizardry, your characters would roll to identify enemies that were only represented as a line of text. If you successfully identified Skeletons, for instance, you might discover you were specifically battling Undead Kobolds. However, that system doesn't work as well when enemies are high-res 3D models instead of text strings. If you've seen a kobold before, you'll probably recognize it as a kobold the next time around, even if it's in silhouette or obscured by the dark.

To bring Wizardry into the 21st century, we're reworking the enemy identification system and adding a large Bestiary in the process. Each time you successfully identify a new creature, you'll learn a little more about that enemy and what it can do; the monsters you've identified will also stay identified, creating a visual guide in the Bestiary, which you can review at any time via the pause menu.

If you prefer the original game's feature, you can turn this new system off, but we think that most players will find it satisfying to build their Bestiary of monsters as they progress through the Maze. You can make the call next month; we're planning on implementing the new identification system and the Bestiary in the next update.

Additional Sounds
Our sound designer Bob Baffy is adding more audio for enemies and various additional sound effects in the game. So while you will hear some heroic audio during your dungeon crawls this month, you should hear even more in October.

Bug Fixing
Oh, we know we didn't get everything right the first time. With additional playtesting — and the assistance of players reporting and documenting what they see — we hope to have a pile of bugs squashed by the next update.

Please keep in mind that this is our plan, and that when it comes to game development, plans can never be promises. It's possible some of these features won't be ready next month, but if they can't make it, we'll update you with a revised roadmap. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Until then, we're eager for your feedback! Drop your thoughts in the GOG and Steam forums, and please be as detailed as possible — that really helps us track down issues. Thanks for your support, and we hope we can bring you an even better Wizardry experience next month!

- The Wizardry Team at Digital Eclipse

TWITTER

COPIED :)
arrow icon

arrow icon

slide 1 to 4 of 6
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord FAQ & Info
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord FAQ & Info
https://www.digitaleclipse.com/media/the-making-of-karateka-available-now

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
Interesting, they have an option in the settings menu that enables you to independently revert any modernizations they made, like random attributes, minimap, etc. The game is also controlled exclusively by keyboard (or gamepad), with no mouse controls! They've also placed a help screen on the lower right of some menus in full ASCII text. The game itself seems very faithful, although I'm more of a Bradley-era Wizardry fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What the actual fuck, this thing jumped at me when I visited GOG today.

A Wizardry 1 remake? Was it public? Never heard about it.

Ok back to the game itself - looks very cheap and ugly but if the gameplay and fun is preserved I guess it's better than dealing with the 40 year old wireframe. Might be another System Shock remake or might be another Beamdog. I'll wait for rich Kwan guinea pigs to test this out.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I just want a more playable version of 6 and 7. The rest of them are fine as they are. I wouldn't want to play Heart of the Maelstrom on anything but the SNES

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If the had options to use any of the older platforms instead of just appleii I would be more interested. I wonder if there will be a bestiary included as you identify mobs, a detailed item log as you uncover those secrets, spellcasting improvements like in the BTT, marking your map with notes. Not sure what else they could do. (Wiz construction set? Ha!). Well, work on 2-5.

My big complaints about BTT was including graphic/sound toggles for other platforms and the BTCS.

I wonder if next we’ll see a MM QOL version or EA squeezes out ULTIMA A-5 QOL reimagining.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just want a more playable version of 6 and 7. The rest of them are fine as they are. I wouldn't want to play Heart of the Maelstrom on anything but the SNES
But weren’t the titties censored? I had thought the same about playing Might & Magic II for snes and genesis but that fucking MUSIC! SCREEEEEECHHHHH!!!! (Mainly GENESIS)

TwoEdge

Scholar
Wow, it's not just help menus, the whole game is rendered in the new and old engines simultaneously, as seen in the screenshots above. I've no time to delve deeply into this, but this seems to be designed as advertised: a graphics frontend (in my opinion very competent) to the Apple II original with minimal (and optional) improvements/QoL. I can't give anything more than very quick first impressions right now, but my initial feelings are very positive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Digital Eclipse specialize in "boutique" remasters of classic arcade/console games. This will be their first foray into hardcore PC gaming.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Digital Eclipse specialize in "boutique" remakes of classic arcade/console games. This will be their first foray into hardcore PC gaming.
Huh, I guess they're not two 50 yo neckbeards in their mom's garage then.

Still, it took them 2 years to wheel out an EA version. Potentially the whole shebang can take 3 years or more. Do they expect the game to pay for itself?

Dunno, probably would be easier to borrow a crawler engine and cobble the game together in that in a few months. A single dude remade the first Dungeon Master in the Legend of Grimrock engine and it's great, I played it twice.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If it were half as expensive I would buy just for the fun of it but at the current price, lol no

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
YOU WILL BE MOBILE-IZED!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom