Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake by Digital Eclipse - now available on Early Access - coming May 23rd

AndyS

Augur
Digital Eclipse specialize in "boutique" remakes of classic arcade/console games. This will be their first foray into hardcore PC gaming.
Huh, I guess they're not two 50 yo neckbeards in their mom's garage then.

Still, it took them 2 years to wheel out an EA version. Potentially the whole shebang can take 3 years or more. Do they expect the game to pay for itself?

Dunno, probably would be easier to borrow a crawler engine and cobble the game together in that in a few months. A single dude remade the first Dungeon Master in the Legend of Grimrock engine and it's great, I played it twice.
They've been around forever. If you remember the Williams Arcade Classics releases from the mid-90s, they did those. If you remember those, you probably also know that their main issue over the years has been that sometimes their emulation simply isn't that good, especially after stuff like MAME started showing up and made people who sell emulated software look stupid. They seem like they're in a good spot at the moment, at least, as their Atari and Karateka collections have been well-received. Maybe after 30 years they figured some stuff out.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The sheer fact is is NOT that terrible jRPG/anime design (I can't stand that kind of art style in games) has my interest. The current art style they are using is fine to me. Tile graphics look great too. That price though... what the fuck. And then they are going to raise the price? :lol:

I get the cost of programming and art but that price seems a bit too steep for now. I do like blobbers and I do like Wizardry so I'll just sit here and ponder things (until one evening while drinking I just say fuck it and buy it....).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
That fucking mobile game art style.

:backawayslowly:
wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord_2.gif

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The sheer fact is is NOT that terrible jRPG/anime design (I can't stand that kind of art style in games) has my interest. The current art style they are using is fine to me. Tile graphics look great too. That price though... what the fuck. And then they are going to raise the price? :lol:

I get the cost of programming and art but that price seems a bit too steep for now. I do like blobbers and I do like Wizardry so I'll just sit here and ponder things (until one evening while drinking I just say fuck it and buy it....).
I expect this will be heavily discounted the next steam sale if you can wait that long

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Don’t you like anime? Here’a the solution:

grimace

Arcane
https://gizmodo.com/digital-eclipse-preserves-game-history-with-style-1850224859

The company’s former Head of Restoration Frank Cifaldi said back in 2019 that the company’s goal was to become the “Criterion Collection” for video games. Just like Criterion’s work restoring and redistributing classic films, revitalizing old games is for the sake of scholarship as much as enjoyment.

Are there going to be "bonus features" and behind the scenes history featured within the game or as extra downloadable content on GOG?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
https://gizmodo.com/digital-eclipse-preserves-game-history-with-style-1850224859

The company’s former Head of Restoration Frank Cifaldi said back in 2019 that the company’s goal was to become the “Criterion Collection” for video games. Just like Criterion’s work restoring and redistributing classic films, revitalizing old games is for the sake of scholarship as much as enjoyment.
If that statement is true I doubt we will see a remake of Wizardry 2 or 3 as a follow-up. Maybe Wizardry 4 as that is quite unique

Shaki

Arbiter
This actually looks good, idk why people cry about art, it's decent enough. Certainly better than the original, and far superior to all the jrpg crap half of you fags play. Maybe I will even buy it instead of pirating.

grimace

Arcane
Is this part of the Gold Master Series?

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is not currently part of the Gold Master Series, which is Digital Eclipse's line of interactive documentaries. Whereas GMS titles focus on giving historical context to classic games, our main goal with Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is to make the best updated version of this game possible. That said, we're always open to your feedback about which games and stories you'd like to see explored through the Gold Masters Series, so we can try to allocate resources accordingly.
https://af.gog.com/forum/wizardry_p...e_mad_overlord_early_access_faq?as=1649904300

Rest of the FAQ

What is Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was one of the first computer role-playing games. Released in 1981 for the Apple II, it set a standard for the RPG genre, inspiring many other dungeon-crawlers in the decades that followed. The 2023 edition is an all-new remake by Digital Eclipse, running in the Unreal Engine, but based on the original Apple II code.

Where can I get the game?
The Early Access version of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is downloadable at Good Old Games and Steam.

Why revisit this game?
While the first game's innovations were huge, those pioneering steps did take place more than 40 years ago. As a result, the first game in the Wizardry series has many barriers to entry. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is Digital Eclipse's attempt to preserve the original gameplay (and the original difficulty) but present it with the rich graphics, streamlined controls, and other modern features that today's RPG players have come to expect. It's intended as both a restoration and a reimagining of the original Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, one that is built for modern gaming hardware and lets players experience a true classic in the most comfortable way possible.

Why is this being released via Early Access?
After two years in development, we're ready to share what we're working on with the community. We know there are devoted fans of this franchise worldwide, and it means something different to each of them. We want feedback from as many players as we can get, so we can incorporate as many improvements as possible before we bring this ambitious project to completion.

How much of the game will be functional during Early Access?
The entire core game is playable, though there will likely be some bugs. Additionally, some visual elements are not 100 percent complete. The team is still working on additional environment and object textures, audio elements, and character animations; some existing elements will be replaced or upgraded during development. Incomplete assets are marked with a special "yellow tools" icon to let you know they are still in active development.

Some elements may change or stop working during the development process. Save games, for instance, are something that could break between major updates, although we will make every effort to avoid this. During Early Access, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord should be considered an early build that you can play before it's done, so you should expect and prepare for some inconveniences associated with a work in progress. If you would prefer not to encounter those elements, you may be more comfortable wishlisting the title and waiting until work is completed.

Will the price go up later?
Yes. As the team adds more content to the project, the price will increase. Anyone who has already bought the game during Early Access will receive that additional content at no additional fee; it will simply arrive in title updates and will not be packaged as optional downloadable content.

How long will the Early Access period last? What is the target ship date?
Based on current scope and resources, the dev team anticipates that Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord will be content-complete and leave Early Access before the end of 2024. However, this is far from a guaranteed commitment, as there are often unforeseen factors and various surprises that might lengthen the development process. As we navigate changes and obstacles, we will keep the community informed.

How frequently will the game be updated?
The team expects to add content to Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord about every two months until it is considered complete and officially ready to launch. Depending on the scope, some updates may take longer than two months to implement.

What content is being added after Early Access?
In addition to replacing WIP assets with updated ones, we plan to update other in-game graphical and audio elements. We will also explore adding text localization, a guide to in-game enemies, and other features we believe will benefit players.

How will you be incorporating player feedback and community suggestions?
Discussion forums make the most sense for us as a central hub for communication. Our players are already here, so we'd like to meet you where you play. Bug reports will be very much appreciated, with as much detail as you feel motivated to provide — we want to squash as many as we can, with your help. We will also try to incorporate any player suggestions for features and improvements, as long as they can be implemented within the scope and resources of the project. In other words, we're all ears for your hopes and dreams, but we'll need to see what's feasible, so let's keep talking.

Which games will be represented in this project?
The core experience is the original Wizardry game, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

What PC operating systems are supported?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is intended to run under Windows and Steam OS.

Will this be certified to run on Steam Deck?
It's definitely a goal, but this is still to be determined. We know a lot of players would appreciate Steam Deck certification, but we may not be able to make this happen right away, due to the nature of this particular game. We'll keep you posted.

Which localized languages will be supported?
At the beginning of Early Access, only English will be supported, but we are hoping to add additional languages over the course of development.

Will there be a console release as well?
We don't have a definitive answer at this time, but we would not seriously discuss the possibility of a console release until the game is feature-complete and leaves Early Access.

Is this part of the Gold Master Series?
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is not currently part of the Gold Master Series, which is Digital Eclipse's line of interactive documentaries. Whereas GMS titles focus on giving historical context to classic games, our main goal with Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is to make the best updated version of this game possible. That said, we're always open to your feedback about which games and stories you'd like to see explored through the Gold Masters Series, so we can try to allocate resources accordingly.

This thread will be updated as new information becomes available, so keep an eye on it for future updates!

Cross

Arcane

If that statement is true I doubt we will see a remake of Wizardry 2 or 3 as a follow-up. Maybe Wizardry 4 as that is quite unique
The obvious thing to do would be to remake Wizardry 1-3 in one package because of the overlapping game mechanics and the importing of characters between them. Maybe their plan is to see if this will be a success and then to fleece boomers for remakes of Wizardry 2, 3, 4 and 5 separately.

Casual Hero

Augur
Alright, I had to come back to comment on this.

Proving Grounds is one of my favorite games ever, seriously. I wrote a tiny review of it here a few years ago, where I examined Wizardry from the perspective of a zoomer in 2020. It turns out that it is a wonderful game, even in our current year. There are a lot of surface-level opinions of Proving Grounds, and many people like smaug simply don't understand the core principles of the game. If you're grinding Murphy's Ghost and skipping levels 5-9, then you wouldn't want to bothered with playing a remake anyways.
(Not to sound pompous, but really... if you play the game "correctly", there is zero grinding at all.)

All of this to say that I really enjoy the game, and so I think I'm allowed to criticize it from a good-conscious perspective.
I've been day-dreaming of what a potential Wizardry remake could look like for a few years now, and there are a lot of cool things that I think this remake is presenting. I love that it is trying to stay faithful to the base mechanics, and that you can play with the Apple II game overlaid on top. Neat!

Kind of stepping beyond all of that, there is only one thing I want to say:
Regardless of whether you like the art-style or not (I don't prefer it, but whatever), there is a concerning lack of vision and unity in it's usage here.
The first thing that kind of raised suspicions in my mind was the Tempe of Cant screenshot:

ss_4a08bc8f206f3d274866519445a008eac0d6c169.jpg

Notice the strange bulging of the stairs and how they creep up on the right tower, and the kind of blurry pixelization of the entire thing. I hate to be one of those people constantly throwing around accusations of AI art, but this really isn't a pretty image, and it hard for me to imagine that anyone really put much thought into it.

And that is the main issue I have with the art:
It seems like whoever did it doesn't actually care about Wizardry. It just sets off a tiny red-flag in my brain. It is a shame, because the Japanese Wizardry's got Jun Suemi to do the art, and he actually has a coherent art-style that he brings to the game. It gives it atmosphere. With this remake, I feel like the art is spreading the tone in multiple scattered directions.

And the character portraits...

image.png

Again, this is less about the style, and more about the tone and quality. The last portrait on the right here looks clearly mirrored, and so it just kind of throws me off, because whoever did it just doesn't care that much. And why the heck are the female portraits biting their lips?

Anyways, I hope this is good and successful, but it just has a few weird touches here and there that kind of put me off, as someone who really likes this game.
The art tells of a general lack of care, but I hope that is just a consequence of an Early-Access release.

image.png

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
This Digital Eclipse release has nothing to do with Wizardry: The Five Ordeals.

And Wizardry: The Five Ordeals game has nothing to do with Wizardry #1-5.​
This does not include dungeon layouts, unique names (spell, town and weapon, etc), and the UI and graphics of those things themselves.​
The Steam version has been overhauled using the Unity engine. While the core gameplay is left unchanged from 2006, the UI has been improved for a modern audience.​
(c) IID, Inc.​
(c) 59 Studio.​
Original Monster Design by Suemi Jun.​
Wizardry™ is a trademark of Drecom Co., Ltd.​
Two years and still no scenario editor. They did however release very expensive DLC scenarios.​

Best of luck to the marketers at Digital Eclipse who will need to clarify what their product is and who the target audience is.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
:updatedmytxt:

defintely picking this up at a sale when it's pennies on the dollar.

or pirating it. probably that and the the former if it doesn't suck and grate the eyes. did they decline and add an automap?

Casual Hero

Augur
I posted some comments about the low-quality art on the Steam discussions, and this was the official reply:

Well, keep in mind that the gameplay here is largely done, but art elements are among the parts of the game that will be updated with future content patches. I'm not sure whether the things that are bothering you are final or not, but I appreciate the feedback.

Fair enough, I guess.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Looks like a cheap free to play mobile game, nu-Fantasy portraits, niggers, blends of styles that don't go together, terrible console UI, and it doesn't add anything to the experience. I'd rather take weebshit than this. There's nothing wrong with the original Apple II versions though.

If that damn nerd likes to hog so much of the screen, he should at least twerk or something.

How is it possible for this gaming rabbi to have a beak that big and still sound like he can't use it to breathe?

Sunri

Liturgist
This is some epic gamer news

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom