Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord remake by Digital Eclipse - now available on Early Access - coming May 23rd

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My preference is still this.

Original DOS version – playing a board game, or reading a book
Remake – watching hyperactive youtube videos

The original had a minimalist, elegant, sleek aesthetic. This looks like a garish mobile game.

This is the CGA version from the Wizardry Archives, btw. The C64/C128 version has more colours, but also loooooong loading times, so I can only recommend it to die-hard Commodore fans (like myself).

H0IySsy.png

A3mnfRB.png

Last edited:

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
gayshit.png

fucking DECLINE

any you fucktards want an updated Wizardry experience, get your ass an apple ][ emulator and play the 3.0 version released earlier this year by some intrepid soul.

link

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Alright, I had to come back to comment on this.

Proving Grounds is one of my favorite games ever, seriously. I wrote a tiny review of it here a few years ago, where I examined Wizardry from the perspective of a zoomer in 2020. It turns out that it is a wonderful game, even in our current year. There are a lot of surface-level opinions of Proving Grounds, and many people like smaug simply don't understand the core principles of the game. If you're grinding Murphy's Ghost and skipping levels 5-9, then you wouldn't want to bothered with playing a remake anyways.
(Not to sound pompous, but really... if you play the game "correctly", there is zero grinding at all.)

All of this to say that I really enjoy the game, and so I think I'm allowed to criticize it from a good-conscious perspective.
I've been day-dreaming of what a potential Wizardry remake could look like for a few years now, and there are a lot of cool things that I think this remake is presenting. I love that it is trying to stay faithful to the base mechanics, and that you can play with the Apple II game overlaid on top. Neat!

Kind of stepping beyond all of that, there is only one thing I want to say:
Regardless of whether you like the art-style or not (I don't prefer it, but whatever), there is a concerning lack of vision and unity in it's usage here.
The first thing that kind of raised suspicions in my mind was the Tempe of Cant screenshot:

ss_4a08bc8f206f3d274866519445a008eac0d6c169.jpg

Notice the strange bulging of the stairs and how they creep up on the right tower, and the kind of blurry pixelization of the entire thing. I hate to be one of those people constantly throwing around accusations of AI art, but this really isn't a pretty image, and it hard for me to imagine that anyone really put much thought into it.

And that is the main issue I have with the art:
It seems like whoever did it doesn't actually care about Wizardry. It just sets off a tiny red-flag in my brain. It is a shame, because the Japanese Wizardry's got Jun Suemi to do the art, and he actually has a coherent art-style that he brings to the game. It gives it atmosphere. With this remake, I feel like the art is spreading the tone in multiple scattered directions.

And the character portraits...

image.png

Again, this is less about the style, and more about the tone and quality. The last portrait on the right here looks clearly mirrored, and so it just kind of throws me off, because whoever did it just doesn't care that much. And why the heck are the female portraits biting their lips?

Anyways, I hope this is good and successful, but it just has a few weird touches here and there that kind of put me off, as someone who really likes this game.
The art tells of a general lack of care, but I hope that is just a consequence of an Early-Access release.

image.png
I said nothing about skipping those levels. Even if you have high level chars from grinding you can still die (earliest being floor 4) because surprise encounters with insta kill enemies or paralysis. Not good game design combined with the other ridiculous mechanics like resurrection being able to fail even after spending a boat load of gold.

TwoEdge

Scholar
The first thing that kind of raised suspicions in my mind was the Tempe of Cant screenshot:

ss_4a08bc8f206f3d274866519445a008eac0d6c169.jpg

Notice the strange bulging of the stairs and how they creep up on the right tower, and the kind of blurry pixelization of the entire thing. I hate to be one of those people constantly throwing around accusations of AI art, but this really isn't a pretty image, and it hard for me to imagine that anyone really put much thought into it.
Just for clarity's sake, the screenshots don't convey this, but, aside from the background, that is actually a 3D scene. When navigating the town ingame you actually zoom in/out/rotate around when selecting the different buildings.

SpurdoFan

Literate
The sheer fact is is NOT that terrible jRPG/anime design (I can't stand that kind of art style in games) has my interest. The current art style they are using is fine to me. Tile graphics look great too. That price though... what the fuck. And then they are going to raise the price? :lol:

I get the cost of programming and art but that price seems a bit too steep for now. I do like blobbers and I do like Wizardry so I'll just sit here and ponder things (until one evening while drinking I just say fuck it and buy it....).
Don’t you like anime? Here’a the solution:

That anime was actually the most faithful movie adaptation of a video game I ever saw.

Is there savescumming?
Does the identify glitch still work?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:updatedmytxt:

defintely picking this up at a sale when it's pennies on the dollar.

or pirating it. probably that and the the former if it doesn't suck and grate the eyes. did they decline and add an automap?
Lol SALE? Oh suure…
“GOG forum answers from dev” said:
Will the price go up later?
Yes. As the team adds more content to the project, the price will increase.
Anyone who has already bought the game during Early Access will receive that additional content at no additional fee; it will simply arrive in title updates and will not be packaged as optional downloadable content.

SpurdoFan

Literate

or pirating it. probably that and the the former if it doesn't suck and grate the eyes. did they decline and add an automap?
Lol SALE? Oh suure…
Anyone who has already bought the game during Early Access will receive that additional content at no additional fee; it will simply arrive in title updates and will not be packaged as optional downloadable content.
But what content will they add? Doesn't it include the whole game already?
Did they just release a bugridden mess, call it Early Access and expect more for the fixed game?

Last edited:

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Lol SALE? Oh suure…
meh. i've got years worth of backlog to tackle and there's always playing the classic wizardry rather than a shameless reskinned and dumbed down version. but i wouldn't put it past them to go the pierre route and only ever discount it by 10% no matter how old it might be.

:keepmyjewgold:

Dave the Druid

Educated
There's nothing wrong with the original Apple II versions though.
Original Apple ][ version's got one huge design issue: Both you and enemies can use magic during surprise rounds. Not too big a deal for the first few floors (and can be quite good when the luck's on your side) can become a huge issue once you get to floor 8-9 and your entire party gets wiped out in the first round. Most ports fix this.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Really mixed signals here. Who is this for exactly? A historical rebuild? An effort to broaden the appeal to casuals?

If they're going to spend nearly two years taking Wizardry 1 and painstakingly building a Blizzard-looking 3D mobile game engine on top of it, they should develop a user editor to go along with it, or at least include the original trilogy since, y'know, they always ran on the same engine. It's why they were always released as compilations since the original.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I posted some comments about the low-quality art on the Steam discussions, and this was the official reply:

Well, keep in mind that the gameplay here is largely done, but art elements are among the parts of the game that will be updated with future content patches. I'm not sure whether the things that are bothering you are final or not, but I appreciate the feedback.

Fair enough, I guess.
They'd have to remake the remake in order for the game to look good.

Red Hexapus

Savant
Seriously, $30 for Early Access version and even more for full release? :roll:
Good luck with that, I'll stick with the Super Famicom version, thank you very much.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Original Apple ][ version's got one huge design issue: Both you and enemies can use magic during surprise rounds. Not too big a deal for the first few floors (and can be quite good when the luck's on your side) can become a huge issue once you get to floor 8-9 and your entire party gets wiped out in the first round. Most ports fix this.
Issue? It's a feature. One of the most common complaints about CRPGs is that encounters become trivial towards the end of the game. Besides, what's the name of this game again? Woodhead is a genius.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That one guy in the Codex who refuses to play older games because of "bad" graphics.
I recently (in the last 5 years) replayed stuff like W6, W7, Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, Ishar, Ravenloft, Albion, Battle Isle 2. Shit from the early 1990s in short. And had an absolute blast. Maybe because that's the shit I grew up with as a wee lad.

But no, I can't into wireframes with text. I'm autistic but not that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom