Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World Chess Championship 2014

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone following it?

I must admit that with Anand as challenger my enthusiasm and interest is not what it would have been with a more exciting and less defensive player than Anand. Still, VGTV (Norwegian TV/Internet channel) really do their best to make it more interesting, even if Anand doesn't.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They can try playing Terran theme from Starcraft to make the gooks watch.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It came as a surprise. Last time he didn't manage to get Carlsen in his preparation territory, this time it already worked.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
About time "The Tiger from Madras" acted like a tiger and not a pussy against Carlsen.
Maybe this could get exciting after all.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I was wondering why no-one was replying to the chess thread and whether I was the only one following the championship this year! :D

I have to admit I wasn't too excited to see a rematch at first but the games have been fun thus far - especially the Grünfeld line in game 1 was fascinating (though I'm not an expert so it doesn't take much to impress me). Vishy having a line prepared for the first 20 moves yesterday was remarkable and Magnus running into it was great for the spectators, I think - had Anand lost again it would've pretty much been over. Now it looks like we might be in for an exciting match!

It will probably be closer than last time but I still expect Swagnus to win in the end! :P
oslo_2013_carlsen.jpg

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I was hoping for a Carlsen endgame grind as well, but there was very little there, so a draw seems to be the correct result.

The video feed was indeed acting up today, I had better luck viewing it here: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/7928738/events/3553668/

EDIT: apparently some space probe was landing on a comet yesterday and that was streamed on the same platform, hence the hiccups with the video! :)

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There was an interview with Magnus' younger sister Ingrid (in a very short skirt) on VGTV yesterday, and I couldn't help thinking this was excactly like Magnus would look like in drag. :D

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Quite a fun game today - I hope Vishy can recover and the second half of the match will be as interesting as the first was! :D

WNah8KU.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Good defending from Anand.

Since he's had some decent chances in all his whites so far, the match is far from over.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Congratulations to Swagnus! It was a fun match and a lot closer than last time - as most of us expected. :)

I hope one of the young guns - Caruana seems to be the frontrunner at the moment - qualifies for the next one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom