Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apocalypse: so fun it's worth repeating - Let's play SMT III

Black Cat

Magister
Chiaki is a character i kind of like but, man, who designed those clothes? They are awful. Actually, other than Yuko they all look like they need a visit from the fashion emergency squad, ASAP. Yuko's a pretty sharp dresser, though.

And,

KalosKagathos said:
pcsx2r31132010091909182.jpg

You are a true SIS!

brofist.jpg

KalosKagathos said:
A rumored demon, you say? To the Kuzunoha Detective Agency! Sorry, wrong game.

Not so wrong...

Now i am depressed. :(

KalosKagathos said:
The more times I read this line, the less sense it makes.

It's the begining from T.S.Eliot's The Waste Land, i believe.

KalosKagathos said:
As nice as Isamu's advice was, I don't think you can just run away from a guy who can will levitating goats into existence.

Given how ridiculously hard it is considered in the Megami Tensei clusterfuck of universes and continuities for even highly talented summoners to summon demons into material appearance without either a long and complex ritual nor using a COMP's summoning program that does all the legwork for you, he must be one awesome wizard. Sadly, he's also a jerk.

So much of a jerk, in fact, we can't even rename him.

lightbane

Arcane
Default names? :decline:

I would rename the cowardly "friend" to BLO BERT, Chiaku as Nui Sance, Yuko as White Cat ( :smug: ) and that's it. I like how the protagonist doesn't mind when they're sticking a fucking daemonic leech inside his eye. Had the game voice-acting, I would expect the protagonist to scream like a little girl (and he wouldn't be blamed for doing so).

Retarded clothes are unfortunately too common, the one to blame is mister "belt-zipper" Nomuya.

spekkio

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
I'd like to keep the picture as close to what it'd look like on a PS2 as possible.
Graphixwhore!

OM said:
What were you using?
I'll have to check this out, gimme some time (2nd computer). But since:

OM said:
The shadows aren't noticeable most of the time unless you are specifically looking at a character's feet for some reason
The bug was probably there, I simply didn't notice it. :oops:

Black Cat said:
BC's SISFIST of LP-approval?

Anyway: where's the goddamn update?

:x

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You better pray to YHWH that the Preta doesn't pull a critical out of its ass, or have you managed to get past that fight?

edit:

I would rename the cowardly "friend" to BLO BERT, Chiaku as Nui Sance

The way I see it, Solitude = Cleve, Neo-Darwinism = nomask. No idea which Codexer represents the cog-in-the-machine Reason.

Cenobyte

Prophet
lightbane said:
Default names? :decline:

I would rename the cowardly "friend" to BLO BERT, Chiaku as Nui Sance, Yuko as White Cat ( :smug: ) and that's it.

Hehe, nice names :lol:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I lost interest in this game in about 3/4. As in all SMT games, I got fed up eventually with the huge amount of random battles. You're gonna have a blast continuously reloading for a good demon fusion skill set, because believe me you're gonna need a very carefully planned skill set for your demon party in hard mode. Dammit, how I hate that skill transfer is fucking random.

Anyway, MOAR. I want to see how it ends.

lightbane

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Nya! Video:Not so wrong...

Given how ridiculously hard it is considered in the Megami Tensei clusterfuck of universes and continuities for even highly talented summoners to summon demons into material appearance without either a long and complex ritual nor using a COMP's summoning program that does all the legwork for you, he must be one awesome wizard. Sadly, he's also a jerk.

So much of a jerk, in fact, we can't even rename him.

Where could I find a translation for the dialogue before (and after) the battle? I cannot understand moonspeak, but it seems that Raidou must have a good reason to be so angry against the main character (maybe he's still butthurt about not being able to talk for so long and cannot withstand seeing another mute character like him)?

Also, don't forget that wizard has one of the most over-the-top, reality-defying hairstyles ever existed:

pcsx2r31132010091910085.jpg

KalosKagathos

Learned
Are you guys kidding me? I'm doing my Latin homework (can ablativus absolutus be used for conditional sentences?). No updates until Tuesday, when I don't have to attend the university. In fact, the thread is most likely to be updated on Tuesdays, Sundays and days I decide to skip classes.

ghostdog said:
I lost interest in this game in about 3/4. As in all SMT games, I got fed up eventually with the huge amount of random battles.
Nocturne is nothing compared to the Tokyo Government Building and the Great Cathedral from SMT I. Nothing.

EDIT: Here's an excellent example of what the shadows issue can do.

DDS, the opening cutscene, software mode:

softwaref.jpg

DDS, the opening cutscene, hardware mode:

hardwarei.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Tis looks shopped!

60 FPS in software mode and 1.8 in hardware mode... :?

Yeah, it looks REALLY bad in certain scenes of DDS (such as the opener), but you just never see those camera angles in Nocturne as far as I am aware. You aren't lying on your back like a bitch much. Of course, its only 1 keypress to switch modes so if something comes up just use that.

Nocturne is nothing compared to the Tokyo Government Building and the Great Cathedral from SMT I. Nothing.

I dunno, I found the Cathedral to be pretty simple overall except for those stupid hidden areas that you pretty much have to construct a multilevel map diagram to find. Its probably helped a lot by the fact that there is pretty much nothing in SMT I that you can't autobattle to death quickly thanks to the overpowered status effect weapons.

Strange Journey has by far the most convoluted maps out of all the SMT games I have played. If not for the massively improved automap function that tracks everything I probably would have head trauma from the amount of desk bashing it would require to get through those areas.

Black Cat said:
Why can't we have nice things like this? :(

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Overweight Manatee said:

I dunno, I found the Cathedral to be pretty simple overall except for those stupid hidden areas that you pretty much have to construct a multilevel map diagram to find. Its probably helped a lot by the fact that there is pretty

The first time through SMT1 I stopped at the cathedral. In my second playthrough I forced myself to finish it, but let's face it, SMT1 can be a piece of cake once you realize that a couple of spells are gamebreakingly overpowered. In nocturne things aren't that easy and demon fusion is much more random and frustrating.

Elzair

Cipher
ghostdog said:
Overweight Manatee said:

I dunno, I found the Cathedral to be pretty simple overall except for those stupid hidden areas that you pretty much have to construct a multilevel map diagram to find. Its probably helped a lot by the fact that there is pretty

The first time through SMT1 I stopped at the cathedral. In my second playthrough I forced myself to finish it, but let's face it, SMT1 can be a piece of cake once you realize that a couple of spells are gamebreakingly overpowered. In nocturne things aren't that easy and demon fusion is much more random and frustrating.

Which ones? I quit halfway through, so I do not know.

Black Cat

Magister
Elzair said:
Which ones? I quit halfway through, so I do not know.

Are you asking him about the game breaking spells? If so it is the Zio (electric) and the Bufu (ice) line of spells that break SMT1. As long as the enemy isn't immune to the element you are using most hits with those two will make the enemy lose her or his action as long as it hasn't still acted this turn and, in some cases, they will also lose several following turns, so having a fast character or demon with the basic spell of those lines is enough to turn most bosses into sitting ducks, just have them spam Zio or Bufu at the begining of each turn.

Some bosses, like most of the cathedral and the government towers bosses, as well as the judge of the underworld and Beelzebub and a couple of others, are immune to this, but by that point you have so many tricks at your disposal it no longer matters.

Also, multiple shot guns with nerve bullets are the most overpowered thing. Not only do they turn most random encounters into shooting galleries but they also work in many bosses, and the sleep status is rolled each shot so, for example, if you have a gun that shoots four times against a single target there are four chances of the sleep status getting through whatever defenses the boss has.

It also helps that something like 20 agility out of 50 is more then enough to consistently act faster then pretty much everything in the game and never miss any attack. You can start the game with that much agility if you wanted. In addition, Agility boosts your defense as much as endurance while also boosting evasion, so END is almost unneeded. Also, for god knows what reason, Strength boosts gun damage. Yeah, think that over.

Basically you start AGI and INT high (INT to get a few demons to support before you have sleep guns of death), dump everything into STR, and buy status effect bullets when they appear about 20% into the game. You Win. Its entirely possible to autobattle any boss that doesn't reflect guns, which is a grand total of like 2 of them.

SMT 2 makes it even worse balance-wise. Melee weapons get status effects so you can use them for even more damage while you put stuff to sleep/bound/charmed. STR boosts health as much as END for some reason so you get huge health early even with no END investment. Its only saving grace is that, unlike SMT 1, the majority of end bosses are actually highly resistant to the effects. But it doesn't matter, because AGI and STR also make you a ridiculously strong tank to the point where you can just slug it straight out and not care.

Black Cat

Magister
And let's not forget Anubis on SMT2, a demon you can fuse halfway through the game quite easily and who naturally comes with a skill dealing damage based on a % amount of their remaining health on both Law and Chaos enemies, including almost every single boss in the game. That also includes all the final bosses, making the otherwise endless battles much more manageable since after the first two or three strikes you will have taken about half their ridiculously immense HP bar.

Cassidy

Arcane
spekkio said:
In before: "LOL it's just the same emo-weaboo bullshit as in Final Fantasy, OLOLO".

Almost.

LOL it's like Hipsters, Emos and Chavs together in weeaboo bullshit OLOLO.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
For everyone who complains about too many random battles; are you actually trying to get through places quickly or are you mapping every last nook and cranny out? And are you using items/spells that lower/eliminate random encounters? They're usually available pretty early for fairly cheap.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Overweight Manatee said:
I dunno, I found the Cathedral to be pretty simple overall except for those stupid hidden areas that you pretty much have to construct a multilevel map diagram to find. Its probably helped a lot by the fact that there is pretty much nothing in SMT I that you can't autobattle to death quickly thanks to the overpowered status effect weapons.
Oh, SMT I isn't hard. It's just tiring. Having to fight 3-4 separate random encounters every 4 steps is crazy.
Black Cat said:
Why can't we have nice things like this? :(
I like how Gouto is doing all the talking for him.
DamnedRegistrations said:
For everyone who complains about too many random battles; are you actually trying to get through places quickly or are you mapping every last nook and cranny out? And are you using items/spells that lower/eliminate random encounters? They're usually available pretty early for fairly cheap.
I mapped out everything and still thought the encounter rate was fine. I only used rate lowering spells when I circled around chests waiting for a full Kagutsuchi or did certain puzzles.

Elzair

Cipher
Wulfstand said:
I'd so play this, but I just can't configure the PS2 emu settings, so as to run it smoothly on my pc. :(

What is the error you keep getting? I kept getting strange distortions along the top of the screen and the whole screen kept bouncing up and down, so I enabled sawtooth interlacing, and the problems went away.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You know, lasses and lads, as much entertaining as watching all these weaboo lps is with so many fun settings filled with quirkiness, eerieness and bat shit craziness I can't help but point out that 8/10 times the way the characters act is downright idiotic.

Take what happened in the first update. Bunch of youngsters comes to a hospital to search for certain someone. Even though the place is evidently deserted - no working staff anywhere to be seen - the headstrong individuals roam around it.

Why? In real life what would be your reaction if you found yourself in this position? Would you go around that place clueless about what to do? Would you really, on finding an ID card, go to quite positivelly off-limits (maybe biohazard) area? And assuming you did all that upon finding a room with pagan runes, gliphs and orifice and blood everywhere, would you be inclined on exploring the rest of the location on your own instead of, I don't know, calling party vans and getting your ass out of there asap (not necessarily in this order)?

Another example: that guy in computer room with all that insanely cool looking demons. Why on earth must he go into "villain routine" explaining to the kid he sees for the first time in his life how he gonna die and reciting emo pseudo bullshit (yeah it is not good enough to be called bullshit proper). One short "kill" to his pet demon and he would actually get an effect. Short, simple and not retarded.

Perhaps here lies the crux of the problem with jRPGs - the events in most of them make no sense. And I don't mean here the way they are presented to the player - after all, you can achieve great results by introducing discrepancy between player's and his character's respective perspectives. That is what japanese games often do right. I mean here that the characters are usually deprived of common sense. They do not behave sensibly, they do not respond to the phenomenas transpiring before them as a living person would in their shoes. They do most inane stuff just because script goes that way, and they get away with it.

Admittedly we get plenty of that in western RPGs nowadays as well. However, I am convinced that it was not always so. To make such glaring loopholes in characters' reasoning 10-15 years ago would be unthinkable in any good RPG or even most comic of adventure games, or even shooters with strong RPG elements. Examples? Betrayal at Krondor, Planescape Torment, The Monkey Island Series, Grim Fandango, Discworld 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex.

With this point I'm trying to make I'm with Alexandros's opinion he made in another thread. By and large japanese RPGs (not necessarily all of them, I am prepared to concede) are hampered by the sheer lack of setting's credibility resulting from implausibility of characters' actions. And unfortunately, because they get away with it being labeled as "deep" and "immersive" rather than "shallow" and "moronic" we can observe the same trend in contemporary WRPGs.

Still, carry on comrade KalosKagathos. I have no intention of playing this game but seeing all the awesome, weird stuff going on may be enough for me to look past silliness the dialogue and characters reek of. :salute:

KalosKagathos

Learned
Update 3: Shinjuku Medical Center

Update time.

pcsx2r31132010091910233.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910233.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910234.jpg

shinmegatennocturneconc.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910235.jpg

See that spike at the back of his neck? That's the Magatama.

300pxmarogarehshinmegam.jpg

Having one of these borrow into your skull must make for a very pleasant experience.

pcsx2r31132010091910240.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910242.jpg

pcsx2r31132010091910242.jpg

That's right, this isn't the only one we'll be getting. In fact, now is as good time as any to explain how main character's advancement works. First, let's have a look at his status screen.

pcsx2r31132010092016522.jpg

Right now, he's complete shit. His stats are low, very, very, very low, even for his level, even if you factor in bonus stat points given by the currently equipped Magatama (shown in green). Once we get the first demon to join our cause you'll realize just how bad they are.

With each level you gain you get one stat point to spend however you see fit. I prefer to take a balanced approach to all stats, as they're all very important (Strength increases physical damage, which is the main source of damage in boss fights; Magic governs magic damage and resistance; Vitality boosts physical resistance; Agility determines your chances of hitting things and dodging stuff things throw at you; Luck reduces the chances of the AI getting the first turn in random encounters), but at low levels I'll give priority to Agility because missing is bad news in this game.

Probably the only good thing Reginald has going for him at the moment is lack of elemental weaknesses. Why it's good (well, beyond obviously not taking more damage from certain attacks) I'll tell you when we get to combat.

Finally, you can see that he has 8 skill slots, all empty. New skill are learned from Magatamas. Each time you level up the game checks whether you meet the level requirement to learn the next skill that the Magatama has to teach you (right now it's Lunge). If you qualify you can choose to learn the skill. However, only 8 skills can be known at a time. When you meet the limit (and it'll be pretty damn soon), you'll have to discard a known skill if you wish to learn something else. Alternatively, you can choose not to learn the skill offered. One thing to note, once you choose to discard a skill, that's it, you can never get it back. Each individual skill can only be learned from one Magatama, and they don't teach you the same thing twice.

pcsx2r31132010092016524.jpg

The Magatama screen. As you can see, there is room for 24 different Magatamas. New ones are usually obtained by defeating bosses or buying them at a shop. In addition to increasing stats and granting skills, the currently equipped Magatama also defines the protagonist's elemental strengths and weaknesses. Again, more on those once we get to combat.

pcsx2r31132010092016532.jpg

A new element has been added to the HUD: the Kagutsuchi phase indicator at the upper left corner. It works exactly the same way as the moon phase does in other Megaten games and affects negotiation with demons, fusion and contents of certain chests.

But enough mechanics for now, let's start exploring the new world.

pcsx2r31132010092016533.jpg

We're at the hospital's basement, right next to the locked door leading to the annex. Right ahead of us is a soul, and souls are pretty much everything that is left of humanity. Let's chat it up.

pcsx2r31132010092016535.jpg

Soul: Am I that peculiar? Have you been living all your demon life in a cave? Well, if you're going to walk around the hospital, let me warn you... You've chosen to walk the path of hardship. You may never again turn your back on your enemies... Keep that in mind.

Very subtle. Anyway, let's get out of here. The elevator should be to the right. However...

pcsx2r31132010092016542.jpg

Something's going on in the room that Hikawa was in. Displaying a terminal lack of common sense, the main character automatically enters it.

pcsx2r31132010092016542.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016543.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016543.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016544.jpg

hijiri.jpg
What happened to you...?
mcdemon.jpg
I'm not sure myself.
hijiri.jpg
...I see. Well, at least you still think like a human...

pcsx2r31132010092016550.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016552.jpg

hijiri.jpg
I took a quick look around, and it looks like I'm in a hospital... Since you're here too, does that mean this is Shinjuku Medical Center?

pcsx2r31132010092016552.jpg

hijiri.jpg
As much as I want to know what's going on out there, I don't think it's safe for me to walk around.

pcsx2r31132010092016553.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016554.jpg

hijiri.jpg
My guess is that they're... demons. My strange experience... your new look... and these weird creatures... I don't think the police will be able to help us here.

pcsx2r31132010092016555.jpg

hijiri.jpg
I might have to seriously consider the possibility. It's hard to believe, but... If this is Shinjuku Medical Center, then I can't just rule it out. The Conception... could have occurred for real.

pcsx2r31132010092016562.jpg

hijiri.jpg
If my memory serves me right, it belongs to a man named Hikawa. He must have something to do with all this.

Do tell us more.

pcsx2r31132010092016562.jpg

hijiri.jpg
If you're strong enough to fight those demons, then will you gather information for me? I tried talking to what looked like a ghost, but I didn't have much luck. What's happened to the world...? Are there are other humans out there...? We can only learn the answers to these questions by finding somebody else. ...I wish I could do it myself, but I don't think I'd last very long against those demons. Besides, I'd like to spend some time studying this object. I'm counting on you.

I think we've just been drafted.

pcsx2r31132010092016570.jpg

Cylinders like this one act as the game's saving points. Later you get to do more tricks with them, but that's it for now.

pcsx2r31132010092016573.jpg

There is a soul occupying the creepy room now that can heal wounds, restore mana and raise the dead for no fee whatsoever. Enjoy free healing while it lasts, as we'll have to pay for these services once we leave the hospital.

pcsx2r31132010092016582.jpg

Something isn't right about the elevator.

pcsx2r31132010092016583.jpg

BGM: The Labyrinth of Amala

I don't think we're at the hospital anymore.

pcsx2r31132010092016584.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092016584.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017005.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017005.jpg

gentlemant.jpg
...Show me... the strength... of a demon...

pcsx2r31132010092017010.jpg

Welcome to Nocturne's tutorial area, the sheer annoyance potential of which rivals that of the Temple of Trials. Remember when I said that the game's true challenge lies in preparation to battles rather than battles themselves? That's the thing, there's nothing to prepare at this point. All you have is your basic attack with amazingly crappy stats to back it up. Simply missing several times in a row can get you killed.

pcsx2r31132010092017012.jpg

There's a cache cube, the game's basic and most widespread treasure chest, at the niche to the right. Sometimes opening one damages you, sometimes it triggers an encounter, most of the time it contains something useful. In this case, Medicine x 2. Medicine is your basic healing item. By the end of this area we will have run out of it. Speaking of items, remember two Mysterious Drinks we bought at the vending machines? Turns out one of them is Sacred Water (removes certain status effects from the entire party), and the other one is Soma which restores all HP and MP of an alley. Sweet.

pcsx2r31132010092017013.jpg

Several steps later we finally walk into our first fight.

BGM: Forced Battle

pcsx2r31132010092017013.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017014.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017015.jpg

Our first enemies are two Will o' Wisps, level 1 demons of the Foul race. The only thing they have going for them is their resistance to physical damage, but they don't do much damage themselves and still go down in two hits. The only reason these guys exist is to allow you to reach level 2 without too much pain. But let's have a look at the combat interface.

The symbol at the upper right shows your current number of Press Turns, from here on referred to as action points because that's what they are, and "Press Turn" sounds silly. The number of action points you get each turn is equal to the number of demons in your party. Since we're solo right now, we get only one, but Will o' Wisps get two. Normally, each action you take consumes one AP. Once you're out of APs your turn ends, and the enemy's starts, so normally each demon gets to act one time per turn. However, if certain conditions are met, an action can take less (half an action point) or more (two APs or the entire pool, no matter how many there are). I'll explain what these conditions are when we get our first grenade item.

The command list at the bottom left is organized in several tabs. The currently selected Fight tabs shows the basic attack command, the pass command and active skills the currently active demon has (von Dex doesn't have any right now). Basic attack is what you expect it to be: it deals a moderate amount of physical damage that depends on your Strength. If you select Pass, the demon does nothing and your next demon becomes active. This only cost half an action point and is useful at the beginning of boss fights when you want to set up buffs and debuffs ASAP.

pcsx2r31132010092017022.jpg

The Talk tab allows you to engage in rat diplomacy. The main character can only ask a demon to join him, but other demons you recruit may have skills that can be used to extort enemies for items or money. We can't talk to these guys, unfortunately, for two reasons:

1. It's a scripted battle.
2. They're Fouls. Demons of the Foul, Haunt and Wilder races can normally only be recruited by other demons of these races. The most reliable way to get one is fusion, but if you damage a demon enough, sometimes it will ask for mercy, granting which may result in the demon joining you. Finally, there's the Jive Talk passive skill that allows you to talk to them like to any other demon. It becomes available far too late to be worth a slot, though.

The Item tab shows expendables that you currently have. Only the main character can use items in combat, which is one of the reasons why I tend to make him a support character.

The Escape tab allows you to, well, escape. It doesn't work in forced battles, though, and from what I've been told, it doesn't really work on Hard mode in general. We'll have to get our hands on the skill that guarantees an escape.

pcsx2r31132010092017030.jpg

With Will o' Wisps defeated, Reggie gains a level.

pcsx2r31132010092017031.jpg

Like I said, you get one stat point each level. This one goes to Agility.

pcsx2r31132010092017032.jpg

Another Nocturne's gimmick is that Magatamas go crazy on level ups. You can choose to suppress them, which does nothing. If you let them continue, something happens. "Something" depends on what Magatama you have equipped and may be positive (permanent stat boost, healing) or negative (status effect). You can also get cursed, which does some very interesting things to the fusion table. Marogareh can only do good things for you: either heal your character completely, or increase Strength by 1. No reason not to let it act.

pcsx2r31132010092017034.jpg

Dr. Dark is a soul found in this area that will completely heal you free of charge. We'll be returning to this guy a lot.

pcsx2r31132010092017035.jpg

Another encounter.

pcsx2r31132010092017040.jpg

preta2.jpg

It's a Preta (also know as Gaki) of the Haunt race, a Hindu/Buddhist evil spirit born of people consumed by greed. This is quite possibly the most evenly matched fight in the entire game, as each of us can kill the other one in 3 hits. Whoever misses first dies. Well, we have a Medicine, but it's best to save it.

pcsx2r31132010092017043.jpg

The Preta beats Reggie up very badly. When the main character's health reaches critical levels the tattoos' glow becomes red, alarming you that he really need some healing. Back to good Dr. Dark.

pcsx2r31132010092017044.jpg

There is a fork on the other side of the door.

pcsx2r31132010092017045.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017050.jpg

gentlemant.jpg
...This way...

pcsx2r31132010092017050.jpg

Of course, we'll go the opposite way first because it smells like a side quest.

pcsx2r31132010092017051.jpg

Time for an encounter.

pcsx2r31132010092017052.jpg

It's a Kodama of the Jirae race and another Will o' Wisp.

Kodamas are spirits from the Japanese folklore who inhabit trees. These guys have access to Zan, the basic spell of the Force element, which Marogareh is fortunately not weak to (more on this later, I swear!). What this fight teaches you is the basic strategy of Nocturne: always go for the weaker target first (the Will o' Wisp in this case). As a result, the enemy will have less and less APs to play with, allowing you to build up momentum. The battle doesn't go as well as I hoped it would; I miss once and the enemy scores a critical hit. Both Medicines have to be used up to guarantee survival.

pcsx2r31132010092017065.jpg

Our reward for winning this fight is a cache cube containing a Maragi Rock. Using up a Maragi Rock does exactly what the name implies: cast Maragi, the basic AoE Fire spell.

pcsx2r31132010092017071.jpg

Following in the old gentleman's footsteps (wheel marks?), we discover a door and an encounter, the last one in this area.

pcsx2r31132010092017071.jpg

Two Kodamas, no Medicine. This isn't looking good. Fear not, for they conveniently happen to be weak to Fire.

pcsx2r31132010092017072.jpg

The symbol at the upper right is now glowing, signifying that using the Maragi Rock cost us only half an AP. There are 6 different resistance types in Nocturne. Hitting an enemy with an attack of an element they're weak to costs half an AP. Using an attack they have normal or strong resistance to costs 1 AP. If they're immune to the attack, you lose 2 APs. Finally, if the attack is absorbed (restores the target's health) or reflected back your way, you lose all APs, and the enemy gets the turn. On top of that, missing costs 2 APs, and scoring a critical hit with a physical attack costs half an AP.

When using an AoE attack against a mixed group the priority defining the cost is reflect, absorb > null > strong, normal > weak. So using Maragi against 4 enemies, 3 of which are weak to Fire can still cost you entire turn if the remaining one absorbs or reflects Fire. All of it applies in full force to both sides; the cost of enemy actions changes according to what targets the AI chooses (it mostly chooses them at random).

Maragi took both Kodamas 1 basic attack away from death, allowing me to finish off one using half an AP I have now, and the other one the following turn.

pcsx2r31132010092017084.jpg

Winning this give us enough XP to hit level 3.

pcsx2r31132010092017085.jpg

Level 3 is when Marogareh teaches you Lunge, the basic physical special. Using it costs you a bit of HP, but increases your damage output considerably. It's best not to use it too much for now, though; Reggie's accuracy rate still leaves something to be desired.

pcsx2r31132010092017092.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017092.jpg

gentlemant.jpg
...So, you made it...

pcsx2r31132010092017093.jpg

Dude, I just beat up some Kodamas. They aren't that strong.

pcsx2r31132010092017095.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017100.jpg

And we're back at the hospital.

pcsx2r31132010092017105.jpg

The elevator is back to normal, so we can try the main entrance.

pcsx2r31132010092017114.jpg

It doesn't work out. There are two souls at the lobby that we can probe for info.

pcsx2r31132010092017112.jpg

Soul: Were you trying to leave the hospital?
mcdemon.jpg
Yes.
Soul: Then, how about next door? This is the main building, but there's an annex. Maybe you can use that entrance.

pcsx2r31132010092017111.jpg

Soul: Chiaki? Isamu, you say? I don't know anyone by that name...

There's not much else to do on this floor. A cache cube with Medicine in it can be found in a hallway, and that's it. If you remember, Isamu mentioned that the second floors of both the main building and the annex were connected.

There are four rooms on the second floor.

pcsx2r31132010092017135.jpg

Soul: He's probably dead by now... Eaten by a demon or something weird like that.

The soul found at room 201A tells us that Isamu managed to make it to the annex. There's also some Medicine lying around.

pcsx2r31132010092017133.jpg

Soul: You need an Annex Gate Pass to get through.

At room 202A we learn that a keycard is needed to access the annex.

pcsx2r31132010092017130.jpg

Voice: Maga......tsuhi............Magatsuhi...

The door is locked from the other side...

Room 203A is currently unavailable.

pcsx2r31132010092017133.jpg

Soul: Magatsuhi is the source of demonic powers, I think. I don't know much about it...

Visiting room 204A reveals that room 203A is occupied by a bunch of Pretas.

pcsx2r31132010092017142.jpg

A cache cube found on this floor carries two Life Stones. These can be used to recover a bit of your health, and demons will often ask for them during negotiations. They are not unlike a kind of infernal potato.

pcsx2r31132010092017200.jpg

The walkway connecting the buildings.

pcsx2r31132010092017201.jpg

Sure enough, it can't be used at the moment. Maybe the Pixie you can see nearby knows something.

pcsx2r31132010092017202.jpg

pixiep.jpg
Are you looking for something, too?
mcdemon.jpg
Yes.
pixiep.jpg
Hey, about that thing you're looking for... I'll help you, if you want!

pcsx2r31132010092017203.jpg

pixiep.jpg
A demon who can help take me to Yoyogi Park. You look kinda flabby and weak, but I'll let that slide. Whaddya say? Should we join up?
mcdemon.jpg
Yes.
pixiep.jpg
Alright then, let's get outta here! If we have the Pass-thingie, we can get through that door to the annex. I saw some Pretas carrying it.

pcsx2r31132010092017210.jpg

Pixie joined your party!

pcsx2r31132010092017211.jpg

As you can see, Pixie's stats are much more impressive than those of the loser's we have for the main character. She also comes equipped with Dia, the basic healing spell, and Zio, the basic Electricity spell. As she levels up, she'll learn 4 more skills, with Seduce being the first in line. This is something new to the series, by the way, as in the first two games only humans could gain experience. Demons still eventually become obsolete, however, since they need more XP to level up than the main character does.

pcsx2r31132010092017223.jpg

Back to room 203A.

Voice: Maga......tsuhi............Magatsuhi...
pixiep.jpg
Ew! Those gunky Pretas are inside! Here, let me talk in their nappy native language...

Pixie changed the tone of her voice.

pixiep.jpg
"Me have......Magatsuhi......Brought......lots......"
Voice: ......Gaah? Maga...tsuhi...? ............ Me eat!! Me eat!!

The door is now unlocked...

pixiep.jpg
Alright, they fell for it! You ready?
mcdemon.jpg
Yes.

pcsx2r31132010092017230.jpg

Preta: Maga...tsuhi...?

pcsx2r31132010092017230.jpg

pixiep.jpg
If you don't wanna get hurt... Give us the Pass-thingie!!

The greatest threat in video game history?

pcsx2r31132010092017231.jpg

Preta: Magatsuhi!!

pcsx2r31132010092017233.jpg

Fighting three Pretas at the same time may seem like a lot after the crucible that the training area was, but they pose much less of a threat now that we have a Pixie with us. The reason? They're weak to all kinds of offensive magic, Zio included.

pcsx2r31132010092017242.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017242.jpg

pixiep.jpg
But you could get even stronger if you talk to other demons and get them on your side. We got the Pass-thingie, so let's head over to Yoyogi Park!

pcsx2r31132010092017243.jpg

See the green glow the compass has now? It signifies that random encounters were enabled. The glow gradually changes its color from green to yellow and then to red as the next encounter gets closer. Standing still does not advance the indicator.

BGM: Battle

pcsx2r31132010092017263.jpg

On my way back to the save point I bump into a Will o' Wisp, a Preta and a Kodama. Only Kodama can be negotiated with out of these three.

pcsx2r31132010092017272.jpg

It's always a good idea to kill other demons first, as they can prevent you from starting a conversation.

pcsx2r31132010092017273.jpg

Kodama: You wanna play? *giggle* Let me dwain your stwength. Then I'll listen ta you.

Demons that you ask to join you will make progressively audacious demands from you. Complying with all of them means they join you. Maybe. Sometimes they just run away. Sometimes they ask you a :philosoraptor: question and join only if they like your answer.

pcsx2r31132010092017275.jpg

Kodama is satisfied after I let him drain Reggie's HP twice.

pcsx2r31132010092017283.jpg

Kodama is primarily a spellcaster. Gonnection is a passive skill that makes him more persuasive in conversations with other Jirae demons (they ask for less stuff), but since he doesn't have any conversation skills, it's kinda useless at the moment.

pcsx2r31132010092017281.jpg

In other news, Reggie hits level 4 and learns the Analyze spell. This allows you to scan an enemy for elemental affinities and will remain a part of the main character's skill set until we get an item that allows to cast Analyze for free.

pcsx2r31132010092017335.jpg

Let's finally get to exploring the annex.

pcsx2r31132010092017340.jpg

Soul: You'll probably die. Nice knowin' ya!

pcsx2r31132010092017350.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017351.jpg

Soul: That's Forneus! As long as he's here, it's not gonna be easy to get out of this hospital.

And that's our first boss. We still have to get to the lobby before we can fight him, though. The second floor of the annex is mostly identical to the second floor of the main building. Poking around yields 3 Life Stones, 1 Medicine and 1 Revival Bead (raises fallen demons, but only with a fraction of HP).

pcsx2r31132010092017410.jpg

Having descended to the first floor, we find out that the eastern doorway leading to the lobby is blocked. The soul has something interesting to say.

pcsx2r31132010092017411.jpg

Soul: I saw a human sneak past Forneus just a while ago.

Seems like Isamu managed to make it out.

pcsx2r31132010092017413.jpg

There's another staircase here that leads back to the basement.

pcsx2r31132010092017415.jpg

But this time around we end up on the other side of the locked door.

pcsx2r31132010092017462.jpg

Soul: I hear that Shibuya's a fun place, with stores and a club and all. Darn! If only Forneus wasn't here! Hope he didn't hear that...

A soul found at this section of the basement gives us Geography 101.

pcsx2r31132010092017465.jpg

Chakra Drops are basic MP recovery items. These will inevitably be used in longer boss fights.

pcsx2r31132010092017475.jpg

A ladder leading to the inner courtyard can be found. This area contains a Mazio Rock (guess what this one does), a Mabufu Rock ("Bufu" is the root used by Ice spells) and 300 Macca. Macca is the currency of demons and, by extension, the new world.

pcsx2r31132010092017485.jpg

We encounter a Shikigami of the Brute race. These are made out of paper and are used by Japanese spellcasters for just about anything, from combat to housework. I use Pixie's Seduce skill (works well on males, not so well on females) to get him to join us, and after extra persuasion in form of HP draining and 1 Life Stone he agrees.

pcsx2r31132010092017501.jpg

Another Electricity user.

pcsx2r31132010092017512.jpg

Beads recover one demon to full health, no matter how little HP it has left.

pcsx2r31132010092017515.jpg

A staircase leading back to the first floor.

pcsx2r31132010092017520.jpg

And we make it to the western wing of the annex building. The door leading to Forneus is right ahead. But first...

pcsx2r31132010092017521.jpg

mcdemon.jpg
Yes.
Soul: Hahaha... Yeah, right! I'll give you all my money if you can do that.

Promise?

pcsx2r31132010092017525.jpg

There's a small cylinder nearby. Right now they're identical to large cylinders, but differences will appear soon.

pcsx2r31132010092017523.jpg

A soul at the next room can provide free healing.

pcsx2r31132010092017535.jpg

New demon.

A Hua Po is a Chinese spirit born from trees on which a certain amount of people has been hung.

pcsx2r31132010092017563.jpg

I get one to join us in exchange for 50 Macca and 1 Life Stone. She knows Agi, the basic Fire spell, but her weakness to Ice means that we won't be using in her against Forneus.

pcsx2r31132010092017562.jpg

Interesting things happen when Pixie hits level 4. This signifies that in a couple of levels she will evolve into another demon. Very few demons are capable of doing this, and the resulting demons can't be created through fusion.

pcsx2r31132010092017583.jpg

It is time to kick Forneus' ass.

pcsx2r31132010092017584.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092017584.jpg

Forneus is a demon of the Fallen race that originates in The Lesser Key of Solomon and apparently supposed to excel at rhetoric. I'm certain that Black Cat can tell you more.

pcsx2r31132010092017585.jpg

forneus.jpg
You're trying to get by without paying respect to me, The Almighty Forneus!? You wanna die, don't ya!? I screwed up and let another human escape a while ago, but not this time... I have a habit of butchering anyone who disrespects me. I cut 'em up with these fins!

pcsx2r31132010092017590.jpg

That was highly eloquent.

BGM: Boss Battle

pcsx2r31132010092017591.jpg

Forneus is the first boss, and as such, he's a bit of a pushover. He only has one AP, which he uses to spam Bufu. As long as nobody in your party is weak to Ice, your healing should be able to easily to match his damage output. Unlike most bosses, Forneus also has a weakness (Electricity). The battle plan for this fight is fairly simple: Reginald uses his basic attack, Pixie casts Rakunda (defense debuff that she learns at level 4) twice and uses the rest of her MP for Zio, Kodama heals when needed, Shikigami spams Zio.

pcsx2r31132010092018010.jpg

Electricity spells have a nice side effect: they can shock the target. Shocked enemies recover when they get to act, but until they do, they take critical damage from all physicals. This is a good time to use Lunge.

As you reduce Forneus' HP to certain thresholds he'll cast Mabufu and Icy Death. Both are multi-target spells, but he only uses each of them once, and the damage they deal doesn't even reach twenties.

pcsx2r31132010092018022.jpg

pcsx2r31132010092018023.jpg

Eventually, he goes down.

pcsx2r31132010092018030.jpg

And this is our reward.

pcsx2r31132010092018033.jpg

Wadatsumi is the first Magatama that teaches you offensive magic. On top of that, it can be used to learn Fog Breath, probably the most useful debuff until you reach late game. It also modifies Reggie's resistances, making him invulnerable to Ice in exchange for weakness to Electricity.

Other fat loot obtained after Forneus' defeat includes a Revival Bead and two Medicines. We're free to leave at this point, but first...

pcsx2r31132010092018062.jpg

Soul: You really beat him... Dang! A promise is a promise!! Take it!!

You obtained 850 Macca.

Soul: Dammit. I need to escape from poverty first, before I can escape from here...

Nice.

pcsx2r31132010092018084.jpg

There's only one way to go.

EDIT: Fixed an image. ImageShack!

KalosKagathos

Learned
I think I found out why screenshots are so blurry. It's FRAPS messing them up. For comparison, here's what I get with Print Screen:

printscreenh.jpg

Much cleaner.

Point is, can anyone recommend me a better screen capturing program? I tried a few, but they only capture a black rectangle.

I also fail to notice the major increase in difficulty that I expected. True, things deal a bit more damage, but they die as fast as they do on Normal. Definitely nothing I can't get through.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're pretty much past the hardest part of Hard once you're out of the hospital. But at least the rest of the game will still have you playing more or less carefully, unlike in Normal where you could afford to be lax. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

For capturing, you could always use Print Screen and cut the window away manually, or is that too tedious?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
KalosKagathos said:
I think I found out why screenshots are so blurry. It's FRAPS messing them up. For comparison, here's what I get with Print Screen:

It could be the fact that you're saving it directly as a jpg. Save it as a png and see if it looks as it should. If it does, then convert it to jpg with the quality settings you like. ALso, doesn't the emulator have its own screen-capturing hotkey ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom